Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: San Diego to San Francisco December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopkins View Post
Thank you, is Halfmoon bay difficult?
Curt
I've never visited Half Moon Bay in bad weather, but if the conditions are reasonable it's an easy approach (just stay away from the "Mavericks" reef area). Here is a link that seems to have some good information: Navigating Pillar Point Harbor | CoastsideFishingClub.com

Also, anyone navigating the California coast should have a Coastal Pilot book. Here's one in pdf that covers California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and some South Pacific: http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/n...t_w.php?book=7
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:36   #32

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Thanks Grant for the information on the anchorages.

Curt, I know that people talk about Half Moon Bay, but I find it to be pretty straight forward. The trick is to not take a shortcut before rounding the outer buoy. There are a lot of shallow spots. Thats why the entrance takes such a long jog to the South. Back before GPS it was really tricky at night (easy to get disoriented) and especially when it got foggy. Now with GPS Plotters it's basic seamanship. Disclaimer: High winds and high waves can make it tricky!!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 16:32   #33

Scotty's perception of Cojo and San Simeon and Pieffer is spot on. Even with a west/northwest swell San Simeon is not exactly trouble free. Even though a long time surfer and having lived along the coast of SLO County for over 30 yrs (thereby possessing very good knowledge of this coast) I always maintained an anchor watch at San Simeon. Mostly, I would just not bother with San Simeon. At San Simeon either tuck in close to the lee of the bluff nearest the beach where there is deep water and good holding or stand about straight out from the pier but as close to the pier as you dare. Otherwise, stay outside the bight formed from the point to the end of the pier.

Standing off when rounding Conception is the ticket. Inshore from Conception to Pt Buchon (just northwest of San Luis Bay) gets lumpy and puts you in the littoral current. Plus, remaining inshore between Pt Arguello and Pt Sal may get you a visit from the USCG because of proximity to Vandenburg AFB and space complex. It may be whisper jet, helo, or RIB. They may just tell you to head out hich you should be anyway. When approaching Morro Bay from the south stand off about 6 nm because it gets quite lumpy and light, flukey, or back winds at Buchon, Diablo Canyon and almost to the harbor mouth.

From the town of Cayucos (6 sm north of Morro Bay) to Point Estero there is a rock reef which extends west of Pt Estero. You'll want to stand off 4-5 nm at Estero thence perhaps around 3 nm until north of Piedras Blancos. However, there are many wash rocks waiting for the unsuspecting mariner until north of Pt Sur.

Definitely closely watch the weather when approaching Pt Sur. I too have seem some very wicked weather there.

HMB entrance can be tedious but for good reason. As noted by others, there are rocks. Maintain a close watch until inside the breakwater. Two times it was surging off wash rocks at low tide and a big swell.

(Side note: I do believe HMB harbor was constructed by the same concern that built the harbor at Dana Point. It languished for well over it's first decade of existence. I was struck by the seeming stupidity of a recreational harbor ala Dana but in NorCal. Maybe it's a going concern by now and more than a waypoint for transiting sailors. A nice town with a harbor problem. )
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 16:44   #34

Also, SF is closer to HI than is LA. And departing from SF gives a better angle into the islands.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 17:31   #35

Not sure why skippers are questioning HMB. The charts are very clear. From the north you leave the green buoy to port (red right returning). The rocks are north of the green buoy, which you should not cut.

The harbor is great. There is a very large and good anchorage. If you want a dock, the harbormasters, who work for the country, are among the friendliest I've ever met. You can no cost "rent" a 50A to 30A pigtail from them, too.

Going or coming from the south is different. There's a long reef with an entrance at the south end.

Read the charts. IIRC, there is a chartlet for just this area. It is definitely NOT hard.

If there is a LARGE swell, you can get rocked side to side quite a lot. That's the ocean swells, not the harbor.

BTW, it is a going concern now. The town's nice, the harbor is just fine. "...seeming stupidity..." is way off base, 'cuz it is a great place to duck in to time the approach to the Golden Gate, it's a fine anchorage for free, and a nice place to dock if you want. I'm very glad it is there.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 19:09   #36

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

You know Stu, I think where people get into trouble is that it is a long distance between the enterance bouy (#!??) and the next bouy. It looks so easy to cut the corner. Many do, and get away with it, and then ... I agree that Half Moon Bay (Pillar Point) is a great place. Lots of nice resturants, visit Jeff Clark at the Mavericks Surf Shop (and check out Mavericks when it's working!!), Hiking, checking out the fishing boats. What a cool place.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:05   #37

Thankyou great advice. Curt
Chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, san francisco