Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2009, 10:50   #1

Boat: Yankee 30
Santa Cruz to Humboldt Bay

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a bit of first hand experience for the last leg of my journey. I am making a passage from Santa Cruz to the Humboldt Bay and will, in most likelihood, be single handing it. The only part that seems a bit troubling is the passage from Fort Bragg to the Humboldt Bay. Has anyone here dropped anchor in, or around, Shelter Cove/Point Delgada? Otherwise I'll just be heading out and heaving to. I might be able to find someone to crew for that bit, but so far it doesn't look good.

I'm trying to leave on Saturday.

Thanks for the help and all the best,
Zach
thoamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 14:50   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I'm probably not much help in this thread but I have been offshore a few hundred yards and it's not that protected from westerly waves and wind but I have been scuba diving around the Shelter Cove area. If you can take the depth there's a small boat ramp at the south area of the cove proper. It's fairly shallow (10' or so) for a long ways out and this area would provide the most protection. Look on Google Earth and check it out.
Old 26-09-2009, 15:29   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
If this gets to you before you leave, I've been there and done that trip a few times.. lost an anchor in shelter cove..seems the local fishermen use almost anything to hold down the mooring bouys during the season so the bottom is littered with all kinds of junk including old truck motors from the looging industry.
We hooked into something and after about 3 hours of trying to get it loose, we cut the line and lost 150 feet of chain and a CQR.
we were anchored in about 45 feet of water inside the breakwater.
entering Humbolt bay is another trick.. if a big swell is running you'll see some pretty good speeds from your boat going in.. we would be doing 6 knots and then we'd see 16 knots and then back to 6.. from the enterence, you'll have to go a few miles up river to the marina area.. the city dock is on the right..
A good place to duck in for a couple days is Fort Bragg... Water under the bridge is about 11 feet at MLT but a call to the CG will give you correct depth..
The lights going into Fort Bragg are kinda tricky.. from the mile mark, look at the base of the bridge just above water level a few feet.. You'll see a light.. If you're in the channel-the light is white.. to either side of the channel, the light turns either green or red... keep the light in the white and you'll be fine..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
santa cruz