Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 15:30   #1

Sea of Cortez, Two Weeks, First Time Trip 9/28/2011 !

Itinerary mapped out with the help of Shawn Breeding and Heahter Bansmer guidebook...sailing between La Paz and Bahia Aqua Verde, including Isla Espiritu Santo, Partida and San Francisco. Would love to hear from those experienced in sailing this area. Any helpful insights..."must see and do" what to stay away from....anything that may give us more insight into our sailing experience. Our charter is with Moorings.
NWCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:38   #2

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Here's a blog I recently found -- they are there right now.. Have fun...

http://sailingcamelot.us/
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:40   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Sea of Cortez, 2 wk, 1st time trip 9/28/2011!

1. Learn about the Coromuel breeze. It can be your friend or your enemy, depending on whether you understand how it works.
2. Go north early, especially if the getting is good, and then slowly work your way back to La Paz.
3. Check out San Evaristo.
4. Use your sails! I spend several weeks sea kayaking around Espiritu Santo every year, and I can't tell you how many Moorings boats I see motoring along in a perfect breeze.
5. Always watch for black water to the north. Only rookies get surprised by the wind in the Sea of Cortez. The rest of us reef before El Norte comes anywhere near us.
6. If you're dragging fishing lines, DON'T CUT AHEAD OF KAYAKS. (Sorry, was I screaming there? I've had some unpleasant experiences with Moorings charterers recently.)
7. Have a great trip.
Old 12-09-2011, 15:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

All you need is the cruising guide by Shawn and Heather. I've been througout the Caribbean and up the Pacific coast to the Sea of Cortez and the guide is simply the best I have seen. It describes the Coromuels and all the other weather phenomenom unique to the Sea of Cortez. And the waypoints to anchorages are right on. Don't ignore the weather, since it can kick up the sea in a manner that you want to avoid. Having said that, you will enjoy yourselves immensely. It's a beautiful place and the sea life is legendary.
Ellis McKinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 16:08   #5

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

It will be hot, Hot, HOT!
If those charter boats have VHF radios, inquire daily about hurricanes or tropical storms - which do come up into the Sea in the summer.
Small grocery store in San Everisto and Agua Verde, but don't expect much beyond a potato and maybe a can of peas, Bring what you want to eat and drink with you from La Paz. If you take a marina shuttle or city bus out to supermercados CCC or Soriana in La Paz you can get a pretty good variety of stuff and take the taxi back to the boat.
Don't anchor right next to someone else.
Bring a snorkel and fins - you will want to spend time in the water.
This is not a race - have fun!

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 16:30   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you're not averse to anchoring out in the open, and the weather is nice and calm, stop by Isla Lobos at the north end of Partida for some snorkeling/diving. One of our favorite stops. The deep water comes in close here and brings in a fair number of the pelagic species that you don't see elsewhere along the island. If you leave Partida early you can stop for an hour on your way up to San Francisquito, or just make it a day trip out of Partida. It's a completely weather dependent stop, you're in the wide open, so choose your day carefully.

If you're in Caleta Partida I think it's well worth it to take the "trail" to the top of the hill. The view is great, and the flora and fauna are quite interesting. Take along a decent camera, you'll find lots of things you want to take pictures of. We've actually been up there watching the sunset and moonrise, and then walked back down in the evening, truly inspiring (presuming you have a moon, might toward the end of your trip). If you have a dinghy with a big motor take care to watch the tides, it can be a long wade out from the north side to water that is deep enough to run the motor if you let the tide go out on you.

Enjoy and have fun, wish I was going.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 17:16   #7

Boat: looking

Quote:
All you need is the cruising guide by Shawn and Heather.
Is this available on these forums? Or, can I get it somewhere in L.A.?
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 17:19   #8

Boat: looking

Googled it! Thanks for mentioning it!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:42   #9

Thanks for the quick replies!!! Regarding Isla Lobos The only one I saw is just north of Playa Pichilingue. Is that what you meant?
Old 12-09-2011, 19:00   #10

Cant remember all the specifics, but you have the right places. Be careful, some of the daysails are 40 miles etc, leave early. Tow a fishing line all the time with a green n yellow rubber squid about 6 to 8 inch long for mahi and albacore. The albacore have white flesh, the skipjack are dark red. Skipjack not too good eating. Gget in the dingy and troll around the anchorage rock for tasty sierra mackeral in the afternoon. If a norther is blowing. Stay where you are. Do not eat anything uncooked in a restaurant! Have fun, it will be real hot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:06   #11

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCouple View Post
Thanks for the quick replies!!! Regarding Isla Lobos The only one I saw is just north of Playa Pichilingue. Is that what you meant?
No, he is referring to a little outcrop off the north end of Isla Partida that gets a lot of sea lion action but is exposed to weather from all directions. As he says, good for a day trip from a more secure anchorage or a stop on the way somewhere else...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:41   #12

Got it...except the name of that little island is Los Islotes. And it's definitely on our itinerary! Thanks.
Old 13-09-2011, 06:51   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

Los Islotes are a fabulous little spot. I went in with the kids and swam thru the arch we were approached by a young seal. It got within hand distance and got friendly enough to be unnerving. The water was too deep to anchor. Heather and Sean's book is great. Just be prepared to change your plans according to the weather conditions. Lots of great hiking, fishing, and snorkeling as well as sailing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 07:39   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCouple View Post
From the context--"North end of Partida"--Los Islotes was probably being referred to incorrectly.

Not a good place for a sailboat to anchor. And the mooring balls there are reserved for commercial pangas.
Old 13-09-2011, 07:55   #15

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Roca Lobos is just north of Pichilinque,which is the entrance to the great little,well sheltered anchorage Caleta Lobos, with also has good Telcel 3G reception.Agua Verde is one of my favorites.See you there.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez