Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2012, 14:09   #1

Boat: OEM, proportional
Seeking the three-eyed fish....

Which of the former atomic testing sites in the Pacific is navigable safely?

Meaning, without:
  • acquiring the benefit of being able to read charts in your body's eerie greenish glow
  • growing extraneous appendages
  • being able to self-xray
  • being able to microwave cook your food simply by bringing it aboard, or holding it in your hand
  • getting shot at by military jealous of their toys, or worse, having the boat confiscated

Here is a handy reference for how many of the wretched things have been set off so far, particularly in nice places:

micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 16:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Seeking the three-eyed fish....

The following does not include French & Soviet nuclear tests,

“Between 16 July 1945 and 23 September 1992 the United States of America conducted (by official count) 1054 nuclear tests, and two nuclear attacks. The number of actual nuclear devices (aka "bombs") tested, and nuclear explosions is larger than this, but harder to establish precisely. Some devices that were tested failed to produce any noticeable explosion (some by design, some not), other "tests" (by official definition) were actually multiple device detonations. It is not clear whether all multiple device tests have yet been identified, and enumerated.

These pages focus principally (although not exclusively) on the period from 16 July 1945 to 4 November 1962, the era of atmospheric testing* ...”

Here ➥ Gallery of U.S. Nuclear Tests

However, by all internationally agreed scientific and medical criteria, the air, the land surface, the lagoon water, and the drinking water of Bikini Atoll (for instance) are all safe.

There is no radiological risk in visiting the lagoon or these islands.

The main radiation risk would be from the food: eating locally grown produce, such as fruit, could add significant radioactivity to the body. Eating coconuts or breadfruit from Bikini Island occasionally would be no cause for concern. But eating many over a long period of time without having taken remedial measures might result in radiation doses higher than internationally agreed safety levels

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 16:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

This is what you want to watch to see which countries have tested nuclear weapons, where and when. I think it gives you a pretty good sense of it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 18:32   #4

Boat: Van deStadt 34

I know you said "the Pacific" but the British exploded 3 bombs at the Montebello Islands, 60 NM WNW of Dampier, Western Australia. Easy enough to get to - this pic is of my yacht from "Ground Zero". Andrew
PS: The oysters were delicious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From Ground Zero.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	43405  
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 16:41   #5

My brain seems to be addled enough already....please excuse my rudeness in not replying sooner.

Thanks for your responses. I did some more research, and while the nuke testing may have left these places safe to visit (as long as you don't eat or drink anything or take any "products" like nuke glass, or bits of relics), there is a serious snag:

These places were also used to test other stuff than nukes. Such as bio weapons. I went through a lot of tinfoil-hat sites, but also some more serious ones.

The result is, that visiting ex-weapon test sites is low on my list of places to go...below even Somalia! A pity, as I had anticipated getting to see some relatively untouched (well, as untouched as a place that got nuked could be, anyway) places, and away from crowds.

But, catching enhanced anthrax or some other no doubt interesting microbe doesn't appeal. Plenty of other islands and coasts to see, without pushing it.

So, probably no more posts here....
Old 02-08-2012, 17:05   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

That many and we are still here.

Amazing.

I guess it ain't that bad then.
Old 02-08-2012, 17:21   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
My brain seems to be addled enough already....please excuse my rudeness in not replying sooner.

Thanks for your responses. I did some more research, and while the nuke testing may have left these places safe to visit (as long as you don't eat or drink anything or take any "products" like nuke glass, or bits of relics), there is a serious snag:

These places were also used to test other stuff than nukes. Such as bio weapons. I went through a lot of tinfoil-hat sites, but also some more serious ones.

The result is, that visiting ex-weapon test sites is low on my list of places to go...below even Somalia! A pity, as I had anticipated getting to see some relatively untouched (well, as untouched as a place that got nuked could be, anyway) places, and away from crowds.

But, catching enhanced anthrax or some other no doubt interesting microbe doesn't appeal. Plenty of other islands and coasts to see, without pushing it.

So, probably no more posts here....
Amazing, simply amazing!

Having spent many months at Eniwetak and Bikini, I'm just sooo glad to be alive and well. Didn't wear a tinfoil hat, either, although in the pre-cleanup days we did wear respiratory protection for some activities.

Links to your "more serious" sources would be of interest.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 17:41   #8

And I didn't save them, thinking I wouldn't need them again. Ok, facepalm; and then I'll see if I can dig them out of browsing history. Tomorrow, after sleepies.

Tags
fish