Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 10:08   #1

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
SF Bay this weekend? Oct,9,2004

Julie's makin' noises like we should spend the weekend on the boat. Maybe the SF Bay area people from the board would like to meet somewhere on Sat? Say.. Back side of Angel island for lunch? Somwhere else?

-jim lee
Old 07-10-2004, 11:19   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
Jim, you must have read my mind - I am scheduling a lunch at Angel Island as well. Don't forget that it is Fleetweek!

I'll look for you

Jan
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 21:01   #3

Oh Lord! I forgot its fleet week! And the weather says its going to storm...

Anyway, weather and traffic permitting..

Fingers crossed..

-jim lee
Old 12-10-2004, 11:33   #4

It was all wet and dreary Sat morning. The kiddies were whining about staying home, Julie was burnt from work, I didn’t want to push my luck. So much for an early start. But, later that morning, it started to clear up and hey, suddenly everyone thought going out to the boat was not such a bad idea. Cool!

Stowin goodies for a weekend on the boat.

So we were never able to make it out to lunch at Angel. Sorry!

I -was- able to fix the Nav lights 'cause the kiddies wanted to try night sailing. We motored up the Oakland Estuary after dark to let the kids see what it was like to go out on the bay at night. All of a sudden the sky lit up! Wow! A fireworks display right in front of us. Timing couldn’t have been much better. I guess there was a display at Treasure Island. It started up just as we were nearing the entrance of the Estuary. Pretty cool!

Sunday we started early, for us, and headed out to the Pacific. We picked up the wind on the city front and started sailing to the gate. Right into some sort of forbidden zone blocked off by the Coast Guard Reserves. They came out a honkin’ and a yellin’. “Ok, OK! What way do you want me to turn?” I assume it was some deal to do with all the Fleet Week Festivities. We did see some cool stuff though..

The Jeremiah OBrian (Guessing on the spelling here)

There were fighter jets zomin’ right over our heads doing loops and rolls. They don't photograph well, looked like blue sky and tiny little dots..

Good wind, good time!

Sorry we didn’t make it to the island, but we did make it out the gate and the kids were able to see some dolphins. They’d been dyin’ to see one in the wild.

-jim lee
Old 12-10-2004, 18:32   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Weekend

Being on the boat or near the water can never be too bad. On Sunday 0940 with a 1005 race start time I had zero crew and not enough time to find any or get the boat ready, so I wondered down the dock to check on my options, the CS36 had no main on the boom and no signs of live, the Beneteau 34 had just left, the Hobie 33 was still at the dock waiting for a crew member so I managed to get in the way on the Hobie for a 10 mile race where we were first to finish and second on handicap. So it was not such a bad day after all.
BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 21:31   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
Yes, Saturday was a great day for sailing, even though the wind only picked up once we passed the Bay Bridge (at 10.30 am we had to motor all the way to the Bridge).

Great sailing. And we too got caught by the Coast Guard yelling at us to stay out of that no-sail zone. We made it to Angel Island, only on the other side (Bay side). I didn't want to get caught by the incoming current in Racoon Strait.

This coming Saturday looks like another beautiful sailing day.

Guess we will 'run into each other' one of these days.

Jan
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sf bay