Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2024, 09:22   #1

Boat: 36’ allied princess ketch
Should I sail from SE Alaska to Kenai Peninsula?

Hi everyone! I bought a 36’ blue water rated ketch to live on in southeast Alaska this winter and am trying to learn how to sail it. I have gone out a handful of times, and motored up channel and sailed down, and feel like I’m picking it up relatively easily since I am a professional pilot (of the sky, not water). I’m curious what recommendations you all have for attempting to sail my boat north, and if this is a good idea with how novice I am. Thanks so much!
Danirmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 17:47   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Should I sail from SE Alaska to Kenai Peninsula?

Welcome Danirmart! There is a social group here called Pacific Coast Sailors and I’ve been stashing away threads that folks may find useful. I am not sure but there may be a thread in there somewhere that discusses your idea. Good luck!
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 19:29   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Welcome aboard Danirmart.

If you trust your boat, there is no reason not to cross the Gulf of Alaska during a comfortable weather window since you already have experience with horizontal sails.

It is a slog single handing, good with at least one other [hopefully experienced] crew, and a cake walk with 2 extra [experienced] crew… [Think 4 hours on; 8 off…]

For us, a comfortable Wx window is usually a closed high predicted to hold for a week. [Per 500mb Wx charts; here is my goto Wx page for a quick overview.]

Watch the sea predictions [sometimes the prevailing NW swell is compounded by some SE/SW swell…] and bring plenty of fuel.

Historically you may encounter such conditions May-Aug. Outside of that closed highs are rare, and lows intensify as the season wanes. [I suspect you already know this if you also fly these regions…]

Study up on the typical outflow wind locations, and become familiar with barrier jets [which are rare in summer months…]

You can always gunkhole across if you have the extra time- minimizing the necessary Wx window durations. [e.g., Heading W, stops are possible in Yakutat, Lituya Bay (perfect conditions needed for entering/exiting) Icy Bay, Prince Wm Sound, etc.]. Shooting straight across will likely take the better part of a week assuming you can maintain 6 knots… [Did I mention bring extra fuel…?]

If you get a comfortable Wx window that companionable, experienced crew can accommodate, I say go for it.

If you are returning, consider planning your transit before Sept unless you have lots of wait time available on your calendar.

Wishing you safe travels.

Cheers, Bill
Old 06-06-2024, 22:58   #4

A lot of your knowledge as a "Sky Pilot" will transfer quite easily.
A few concepts are a bit different.
Its worth while running through a book or course on basic chartwork. Tide and Current is a big deal on the North Coast, (South Coast for you)
The Tide tables explain it.
You will pick it up quick but a course really helps covering all the gaps.
I'd give you the same advice for sailing, take a basic sailing course, you can read a good book do some on line but nothing quite beats a bit of hands on instruction.
Again you will find it easy.

A good blue water ketch probably sails like a dumpster, pretty good down wind not so great upwind.
Actually I like a ketch, Lots of options when the wind is strong.

The Inside Passage, Is beautiful. Probably one of the most spectacular sailing areas in the world. You are lucky to be there.
S E Alaska. Weather tends to be kind of Crap. Lots of Rain low cloud by fogust most morning most evenings. Sometimes it can be windy. This time of year actually quite nice with long days and short nights, it wont even get fully dark. You will still get the rain, drizzle possibly fog between the nice days and the winds will be often light and variable.
The wind tends to get funneled. Up the Channel or Down the Channel. or Up The Inlet and Down the inlet.
With dead spots or sudden out flows at headlands, passing gaps in mountains or islands, It changes a lot.
I see a lot of "Stick Boats" motoring up or down the coast.

With a heavy ketch, odds are when you want to go somewhere, the wind or current will be going the wrong way.
Wait for it to change.

The locals might tell you to wait for the tide to change, The wind will often change with the tide, Same goes for the fog.
Sometimes it works.

Enjoy Alaska sailing its spectacular.

Most places you can pretty much go an spit on the shore and still be 50 fathoms. But there are quite a few rocks in places. Finding good anchorage can be few and far between. Currents can be strong in the narrow passes. Tides are large.
A good sailing guide. Is worth having. I like Wagoner's. I also like Ports and Passes and Evergreen Cruising Atlas. I spend my time mostly Just S of Alaska. So other folks might have better suggestions'

I got better things to do than cross the Gulf of Alaska unless Im being paid. Stick to the inside, It's much more interesting.
Night, Low Cloud, Narrow Channel between the mountains, Black like down a mine.
Lots of Logs, even trees, particularly during springs. and where the tide meets.
(Tides N, S meet somewhere round the middle of the Channel inside the Island)
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, sail