Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 21:39   #1

South Pacific in a Powercat

After being a keen reader of these forums for a good while now, I need to avail myself of the vast store of boating wisdom held here!

Planning to cruise the East coast of Australia and then out into the Pacific in 2013.

Rough plan at this stage involves commencing from Melbourne in April (ish) and heading north, then east via Noumea, Fiji, etc.

Boat is 46 ft power cat, long enough legs for 1000+ nm stretches if I keep to economical speeds (8-9 kn)

I plan to do much reading on the topic, but was looking for a quick answer to a question on weather patterns - i.e. What times of year are considered best for this part of the world?

Boat is capable of handling a seaway, but I have wife and 2 kids to consider, and no time pressure, so will avoid potential bad weather where possible.

I am sure I will have many more questions, but just firing this in for starters.

Cheers
Jpc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:50   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: South Pacific in a Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpc25 View Post

Boat is 46 ft power cat, long enough legs for 1000+ nm stretches if I keep to economical speeds (8-9 kn)
Hi
Sounds like a plan

Any more information?
Pictures?
Old 10-05-2011, 23:20   #3

Hi Cat Man Do.
Appreciate your curiosity. Am dipping my toes in the forum waters in the hope that the accrued knowledge will help me plan.

Boat is FP Cumberland 44 stretched with added transom platforms. Also hardtop to flybridge. Volvo D6 310x2. 12 l/hr at 8 knots. 20 l/hr at 9-10 and 55 lph @ 17kn. WOT gives me 23-24 kn @ 3600 rpm and 120 lph.

Fuel cap is 1600l, Water 600. Have watermaker, generator, no Aircon., Full nav suite with dual Raymarine E series, Radar & AIS.

Plan to add before trip - sat phone/comms (in lieu of HF), extra 500l fuel cap (bladder)

I have spent a lifetime sailing, mainly OTB yachts, but with young family (2 girls, 7 & 10 - both seaworthy!) power was a simpler option for cruising. We have travelled Bass Strait in storms, and brought boat from Fremantle across the Bight, but that's it for big trips..

We have a special place in our hearts for Fiji, so the general plan at this stage is to head off in April going east and visit everywhere we can. Aim to return Oct/Nov to avoid the ITCZ and cyclone season. At a pinch can squeeze 1200 nm out of tank but want to limit legs to 7-800 nm so we have a sensible reserve.

In true recognition of the word 'cruising', we will always aim to stay and wait wherever we are than take on bad weather.

Any advice deeply appreciated.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3824704371.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	27217  
Old 11-05-2011, 05:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jpc25.

Beautiful boat!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:21   #5
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Regarding the D6 engines. Make absolutely sure that NO water can get anywhere near the computer modules and connections at the engine or helm unit etc. The have absolutely no water proofing and are very susceptible to any moisture. Fault diagnosis and repair is virtually impossible without a Vodia PDA. Volvo support in the Pacific is very sketchy but I know there is a Vodia tool in Denarau, Fiji but probably nobody knows how to use it.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 21:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Regarding the D6 engines. Make absolutely sure that NO water can get anywhere near the computer modules and connections at the engine or helm unit etc. The have absolutely no water proofing and are very susceptible to any moisture. Fault diagnosis and repair is virtually impossible without a Vodia PDA. Volvo support in the Pacific is very sketchy but I know there is a Vodia tool in Denarau, Fiji but probably nobody knows how to use it.
Agree

I helped deliver this to Vanuatu a couple of years back and it had D6's in it

They didnt like Vanuatu much and now it has nice robust naturally aspirated Cats in it
Old 15-05-2011, 19:39   #7

Thank You both for the tips.
My engine bay ECM's are tucked high and dry, Helm as well, but I will be extra careful now!
Am I to infer that Volvo support is pretty poor around the South Pacific? I have a great local mechanic and he says he struggles with poor backup from Volvo Australia....
I intend to have the engines fully serviced prior to departure, and carry appropriate spares and tools, but will probably need at least one if not more services while on the trip. Is Denarau a good place for this or is there elsewhere you could suggest?
Thanks
Old 16-05-2011, 13:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpc25 View Post
Am I to infer that Volvo support is pretty poor around the South Pacific?
Looking at the dealer locator I would say near non existent is probably a better description

The owners of the cat above initially talked about being a volvo dealer in vanuatu when I questioned the choice of engine.
Given the choice of new engines it would appear this was not to be.

Quote:
I have a great local mechanic and he says he struggles with poor backup from Volvo Australia
Says it all

Better become intimate with your motors JPC25

or swap em out for something dull and boring but able to be repaired with rude words and a sound thrashing

Old 17-05-2011, 16:17   #9

Thanks Cat Man Do
No plans to change engines as have been very happy with them thus far.
Will definitely need to get prepared for lack of backup however - thanks for the advice.
Cheers

Tags
south pacific