Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2009, 13:29   #1

Boat: Kristen 465
Suggestions for a Month in SoCal?

I am doing the Baja Ha Ha this year with my wife and 7 & 9 year old sons. Our plan is to live aboard (mostly stationary) for the month of October before joining the rally. We're going to do the usual touristy things (Disney, Sea World, Carlesbad caverns?, etc) but mostly we need somewhere safe to practice living in a confined space, home schooling and doing any necessary repairs after the trip from the PNW to CA.

I'd like to stay in a decent marina. It doesn't have to be palatial, but clean and safe. My boys would think I was a hero if there a nearby pool (but that's not critical). We'll also have our car there, so we have wheels.

I've never been to SoCAL and know almost nothing of the place.

Any suggestions? I'd like to be anywhere between San Diego and Marina Del Rey.

Thanks,

Craig
Cadence10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 13:33   #2

I think San Diego is the spot... it used to be... but I'm not up on the details. There was a good little marina at Mission Bay not far from Sea World, not sure if they do live aboard/transients or not now... Others will likely pipe in...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 13:51   #3

Boat: Crealock 37
Craig, that sounds great! I'd love to hear how it works out for you, and the anchorages/marinas that you end up enjoying the most!
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 14:02   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Craig:

If I were you I would take some of that time and spend it in the transient Marina on Shelter Island. It is pretty cheap. Here is a link to some info on San Diego Bay. Port of San Diego | Downloads | Environmental Education | Environment Look for the San Diego Boater's Guide there is a nice map that shows the different marinas and anchorages. I have had my boat there since Oct 26 last year and have enjoyed it alot. There are plenty of good day sails where you can sail for a few hours and then anchor in a very pleasant spot. I also have kids 11 and 12 and are hoping to do the Baja Ha Ha this year. Just need a little luck. PM me if you need anymore information or just to chat.

Here is a link to The Log, It has a list of Marinas. Be prepared to spend big bucks on a marina in San Diego http://www.thelog.com/Marinas/MarinasReg.aspx?x=22 or anywhere in So Cal. Newport Beach has some moorings where you can stay for $5 a night.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 11:26   #5

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Craig, there is a free anchorage in San Diego for transients for up to 3 months. Check this link ( Latitude 38 Letters - May 2009 )and scroll down to Vagabonding it in Southern California letter for the goop. Good luck, Jon
Old 30-07-2009, 12:47   #6

Boat: Farrier f27
Cadence
That's what a lot of Baja Ha Ha-er's do. The bay gets pretty full during the month prior, most boats are finishing fitting out and such.
The anchorage is A-9. I believe you still need a permit but it is free.
Carlsbad Caverns will be a drive for you (it's in New Mexico)!

Baja will be great fro your family.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 00:03   #7

Caverns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Carlsbad Caverns will be a drive for you (it's in New Mexico)!
Opps! I saw "Carlsbad" on the CA map and assumed (yup, I know what that makes out of you and me ) that was where the famous caverns were loacted. So I better scratch that one from the list!

I think I've found a marina to stay at in San Diego. Thanks for all the input.

Craig
Old 08-08-2009, 08:56   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
for the transient anchorage, call harbor police at 619-686-6227 and obtain a permit 24 hours in advance of your arrival---good luck--there are marinas in san diego with multi year waiting lists--sun road has most available slips as they are very very expensive--many folks doing haha stay there--or use the moorings--there are often temporary ones available--619-291-0994--talk with vanessa....san diego mooring company...goood luck, have fun and be safe....there is a new marina--not certain of the availability of slips--ask vanessa about tha tone--a lady named karin is the one to speak with regarding that marina, and i donot know her number at this time, but vanessa will--she sits across from vanessa in the office ........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:11   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Zeehag:

How do you get a permananent mooring in San Diego? How much does it cost?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:19   #10

i have a permanent mooring and a temp one--i have 2 boats here--call san diego mooring company at the 619-291-0916 or 0994 numbers and talk with vanessa--temp balls are 2 times permanent price which is around 130/mo depending on location...i am coronado......goood luck--is a 3 yr wait for balls of permanent nature in my locale....might have changed, but i am not certain---vanessa knows...gooood luck...
Old 19-08-2009, 22:33   #11

San Diego is great for kids, some things to do:

Legoland
http://www.legoland.com/california.htm
North of La Mesa in Carlsbad, about 20 - 30 minutes without traffic max….
Good for a full day, but the kids will probably want to go back for the second day
Bring swimsuit and towels, there is a water park inside Legoland

Seaworld
http://www.seaworld.com/sandiego/default.aspx
On Mission Bay, about 10 – 15 minutes from La Mesa
Good for a full day, but the kids will probably want to go back for a second day

San Diego Zoo
www.sandiegozoo.org
Balboa Park next to downtown
Good for a full day – outstanding worldclass facility

Birch Aquarium at Scripps
www.aquarium.ucsd.edu
La Jolla
Good for 2 hours

The New Children’s Museum
www.thinkplaycreate.org
Downtown area
This is good for a full day

Maritime Museum of San Diego
www.sdmaritime.org
Waterfront
Good for a half day

Wild Animal Park
www.sandiegozoo.org
Escondido, about 30-45 minute drive north from La Mesa
Good for a full day

USS Midway
www.midway.org
Waterfront
Good for 1-2 hours

Balboa Park
http://www.balboapark.org/
This park has a ton of activities and museums
Good for a full day, maybe two full days depending on what holds your interest

A good reference site is this one
http://www.sandiegomuseumcouncil.org/

An interesting day trip out of town by train is Amtrak to San Juan Capistrano. There is a mission there that makes an interesting 2 hour tour. The train ride up is beautiful along the coast most of the way and gives a good perspective of the area. A relaxing 1.5 hour ride. The mission is a 3 minute walk from the train station. Our kids love the train ride….
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage
http://www.missionsjc.com/
mdrewelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 02:11   #12

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I was going to suggest Ensenada.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 07:19   #13

Great info folks! I'm looking forward dropping the docklines and getting down there in a few weeks. Craig
Old 20-08-2009, 07:44   #14

Boat: CT54
I understand the port of SD is going to open up a special anchorage in Coronado for boats that are entered in the HaHa starting Oct. 1 and continuing up until the HaHa leaves on the 26th. If you call the Harbor Police they can give you more information on this anchorage.
Best,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 15:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
I understand the port of SD is going to open up a special anchorage in Coronado for boats that are entered in the HaHa starting Oct. 1 and continuing up until the HaHa leaves on the 26th. If you call the Harbor Police they can give you more information on this anchorage.
Best,
Jackie
fone number for this is 619-686-6227, as for the rest of the anchoring permits in san diego run by the harbor police. the anchorage is just south of the coronado bridge--the mooring field is north of the bridge--that is run by someone else--donot get them mixed up---if you pick up a mooring, you will be ticketed and spoken to!! south of the bridge is the anchorage--at ski beach.....goood luck and have fun--you have to be a baja haha member for this one...only haha-ers are allowed to stay there...others get illegal anchoring ticket......goood luck--if you are not in haha--call the number above and get a permit to anchor in A-9 in the north bay...