Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 16:34   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410S2
Surveyor Required in Langkawi

Hi Cruisers

We have been planning & plotting our escape from the treadmill life for five years and here we are on the home run with only a couple of months to go.

Anyway I think we may have found the boat!! Its in Langkawi. Don't know a lot about buying a boat there or even living there for a while but the first step is to communicate with a surveyor. So my first question on this forum is.....

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in Langkawi
Havinago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 00:14   #2

Boat: prout 37 cat
Send a message via Skype™ to jomac1
Re: Surveyor Required in Langkawi

Am in langkawi at moment dont know any good surveyers here at royal langkawi yacht club but get in touch with greg sutherland kiwi bloke runs out of telaga phone no is +60124437916 or pbs.greg@yahoo.com take care jomac1
jomac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 00:18   #3

Boat: prout 37 cat
Send a message via Skype™ to jomac1

By the way what are you looking for there are thousands of boats for sale here
jomac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Havinago.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:15   #5

Boat: Tayana 37

I had a boat surveyed in Phuket in 2001. Des Kearns came up from Langkawi to do the survey. He was one of these guys who supported himself by rebuilding and reselling derelicts. Very knowledgeable. Very qualified. Last time I saw him was in 2004 when the tsunami wiped out the docks at Rebak Marina. He had to find another marina, while I was on the hard, out of the wave's reach.

Googled his name and this came up: deskearns.com

Looks like he has gone places.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havinago View Post
Hi Cruisers

We have been planning & plotting our escape from the treadmill life for five years and here we are on the home run with only a couple of months to go.

Anyway I think we may have found the boat!! Its in Langkawi. Don't know a lot about buying a boat there or even living there for a while but the first step is to communicate with a surveyor. So my first question on this forum is.....

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in Langkawi
Hi! Havinago,

Please contact Capt.Joe Abdullah (MOT 1st Class Master Mariner) and Langkawi International Yacht Registry (LIYR) M'sian MOT Minister's Authorized Agent at Joabdullah@rocketmail.com or Mobile +6019-7990170. Just met him in Langkawi few days ago. Most probably he is in Auckland, New Zealand now for surveying & delivery jobs and shall be back to Malaysia within a couple of days.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Elise.
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:02   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Well I cant help out with a surveyor, but an old friend BEN RAAT, lives on a boat there and he is a Marine engineer with many years of experience, both commercial and pleasure, sure he could help, i'd be surprised if you couldn't run him down, can't be that many boats there. Have found memories of your area, back in the 70,S and 80,S, used to anchor off the fresh water lake [ blown out volcano ?] and dinghy ashore, have a bath and do the laundry, wonder if it has changed ? Doug Tiffany.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:54   #8

Boat: Irwin 52"

Hi,
I bought my Yacht in Langkawi to Yachtbroker-chartes, you can go to their website, Paul Jackson is a trusted person, he will arragenge a local trusted Surveyor for your needs, please just tell him that Miguel from BP Refered you, I'm sure you will be happy with his services, I am, another friend of mine just bought Sailing yacht 43" also share the same feeling.
If you need anything, any additional info, please contact me here or to my email:jcardigasoares@yahoo.com.br. I know Langkawi and might help you if you need. Paul Jackson also can manage to help you with registration and mmsi. Wish you the best.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel Ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:00   #9

Boat: Pinisi, 30m (81ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Ketch View Post
Hi,
I bought my Yacht in Langkawi to Yachtbroker-chartes, you can go to their website, Paul Jackson is a trusted person, he will arragenge a local trusted Surveyor for your needs, please just tell him that Miguel from BP Refered you, I'm sure you will be happy with his services, I am, another friend of mine just bought Sailing yacht 43" also share the same feeling.
Paul Jackson also can manage to help you with registration and mmsi. Wish you the best.
Regards
Miguel
O know Paul, I'd agree with Miguel
RajaNagaLaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 15:25   #10

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44

We bought our Cat in Langkawi and we used John Champion of Champion Marine Surveys. He has written a book on buying and maintaining a cruising yacht which you'll get a copy of if you use him. He was reasonably priced and did a good job. The report was excellent. He did miss a few things but that has to be expected. Best of luck!!

Millhouse
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 22:19   #11

Boat: Shah - Hylas 44

Des Kearns surveyed my boat. He is amazingly thorough and honest. Very strongly recommended.
andyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39   #12

Boat: Lagoon 410S2

Thanks to everybody who contributed to my question, it was very helpful and much appreciated

Update: The Cat sold before we could even arrange a survey, however, we are now more ready for the next time one becomes available in the Phuket/Langkawi area.
Havinago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 14:36   #13

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44

I have a Leopard 40 2007 that I'm contemplating selling. I could possibly deliver. Currently in Raja Ampat. Let me know if interested.
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, surveyor