Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2014, 02:08   #16

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Tanna, Vanuatu NW Coast

Thanks. Nice work, it looks a great spot for work&play.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:35   #17
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Yep, it was good fun. Here's the link to the "authority" https://customsinlandrevenue.gov.vu/...acht-clearance Customs guys here are pretty cool to deal with but don't mistake them for 3rd world bozos which they are most definitely not. They have state of the art facilites but in the true Melanesian way are very flexible if you approach them with a valid reason for extraordinary clearance or an extension on the six moth duty free importation rule. DO NOT make the mistake of attempting to grease their palms as that will land you in deep deep doo doo and make no mistake.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 08:23   #18

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

My understanding is that they will allow you to make a stop or two before checking in if you notify them in advance.

This came from the "Cruising Vanuatu" Facebook page.

Jim Thomsen
www.tenayatravels.com
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 12:30   #19
cruiser

No, that may have been the casual thing of the past but you must now have written permission in advance. Knowing how commnication and bureaucracy works in developing nations this is very unlikely to happen. Better to do it right upon entry then take advantage of the ability to visit another port after clearing out. We have a problem with cocaine on the streets of Port Vila at present. It appears that it may have come in on a yacht that was subsequently seized and over 600 kg found.It is for this sort of reason Vanuatu is being more diligent in enforcing its laws.
Old 31-08-2014, 00:21   #20

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

For up to date information about customs rules and current procedures check out:

www.facebook.com/cruising.vanuatu
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 01:25   #21

I will keep it short. Anachium/Anatom is a partial check in port the police man is Richard George , he does all three jobs and seals everything in an envelope that you must deliver to customs when you get to Port Vila. You need to take your paperwork and receipts to immigration on arrival. ANATOM is not a check out port. Anatom is much easier than Tanna to check in. Richards boat driver is Jessy and for the fight amount of fuel he will take you fishing on the reef.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 03:01   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I will keep it short. Anachium/Anatom is a partial check in port the police man is Richard George , he does all three jobs and seals everything in an envelope that you must deliver to customs when you get to Port Vila. You need to take your paperwork and receipts to immigration on arrival. ANATOM is not a check out port. Anatom is much easier than Tanna to check in. Richards boat driver is Jessy and for the fight amount of fuel he will take you fishing on the reef.

For goodness sake, please stop posting this sort of erroneous stuff on any website. All you will achieve is getting cruisers fined. Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it is the case now. There was never any such thing as a "partial check in point" or whatever you invent.
Old 31-08-2014, 03:22   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
For up to date information about customs rules and current procedures check out:

www.facebook.com/cruising.vanuatu
Jesus Jim, leave it out. I am in day to day contact with Customs here regarding their recent rule changes and one small mistake they made updating their website. facebook and other sites are NOT authoratative. I have already posted the link to the one true source of proper information that was updated last week due to me pointing out their error to them.
Old 31-08-2014, 03:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
For goodness sake, please stop posting this sort of erroneous stuff on any website. All you will achieve is getting cruisers fined. Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it is the case now. There was never any such thing as a "partial check in point" or whatever you invent.
Check my blog for 10 months ago. Friends of mine did the partial check last week.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 31-08-2014, 03:34   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Check my blog for 10 months ago. Friends of mine did the partial check last week.

With prior written approval maybe (or they were very lucky and stupid). Cruisers have been fined this year for listening to incorrect information such as yours. There is NO such thing as a partial check in, never was and will likely never be. Anyone who did/has done this did it before the RECENT inforcement of laws that were already in place. Posting this sort of nonsense is very detrimental to the cruising community. But feel free to have cruisers fined who follow your advice.
Old 31-08-2014, 15:00   #26

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

I cleared in at Anatom this year and I'm hearing on the Vanuatu HFnet that boats are still regularly clearing in at Anatom. The only thing that has changed is that since June this year, you have to get prior approval from Vanauatu customs. Same applies for clearing out.
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 15:36   #27
cruiser

This is true but, unlike in the past, the prior approval MUST be in writing Many yachts have been blithely clearing into no designated ports withour obtaining this approval. They are now being fined.
Old 31-08-2014, 22:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Nothing has been invented. The check in at Anatomy is not complete until you visit immigration at Port Villa and hand them the paperwork you received in Anatom. I like most cruisers I know check the local Web site for the country they intend to visit, it's called common sense. Some nationalities just attract trouble.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52   #29
cruiser

Nowhere have you stated the need for PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL which is what is tripping people up. By posting misinformation on the web you are likely to lead other cruisers astray and they WILL be fined. The website in question had not been fully updated with relevant info. It has now thanks to local's intervention. Forget about all the other casual stuff that happened in the past, it ain't happening anymore. But what would I know eh?

Tags
Vanuatu, vanuatu