Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2010, 16:24   #31

Boat: Beneteau 393
I wouldn't totally discount winter, there are plenty of nice areas to hop to up here, especially in Puget Sound. You could hop from Seattle to Poulsbo to Bownsville to Port Orchard to Bremerton, then Blake Is., etc, whenever the weather allows, and most places have protected anchorages. We like going around in the winter- all the best places are empty!!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 17:12   #32

Boat: Currently boatless
We are definitely cruising through the winter - love those empty anchorages! We plan to be moving around (not stuck in one place and not at the docks) on the inside of Vancouver Island (not too far North and not W Coast) or in Puget Sound.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 09:50   #33

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
You can barely call it winter out there. We found some places (pubs and general stores) closed during the wet season so you might keep that in mind. As long as you have warm clothing and your heating system sorted, you'll be fine. The greatest advantage to sailing during that time of year is the solitude. Only boat at the dock in Princess Louisa inlet, snow falling, only the muffled sound of the waterfall - priceless.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 10:08   #34

@Lodesman - That sounds fantastic. We don't mind the temperatures at all now that we have a full enclosure and can be "outside" in the winter in the cockpit with our coffees. We tried for Princess Louisa in January of 2009 during the bad winter we had then (I know, I know "bad" being relative) and we got iced in! Too much fresh water. That was an unusual month though so we'll likely try again this fall/winter/spring.
Old 20-05-2010, 19:31   #35

Boat: 36' Cutter rigged Columbia - Shibumi
Hey Livia...
I lived in Alaska, worked in Bella Bella with Hyo from sv IO and sailed all around. Beautiful areas, lots to see, hidden lakes (warm water) hot springs galore, friendly wolves on Yeo Island, Spirit bears in Klemtu...get up there and see as much as you can. Weather is your foe, it seems most days are all or nothing, so "planning" is tough...and yes "the charlottes" a must, waters like the tropics and fjords that take your breath away....hope you guys have a great time, line cutting time is almost here!!!! Eliza s/v Shibumi
Old 20-05-2010, 21:12   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi Livia,

It all depends on what floats your boat, but doing my early cruising out of Vancouver,
my most favorite high latitude memories was cruising the inside passage during the wintertime and getting to know the hardy people who lived in these remote homestead areas. (They respect the winter cruiser and enjoy the company as this is their down time)

July 1 is a bit late to head north from Vancouver on an extended return cruise but as QC seems to beckon you with Ninstints, Skedans and Hotspring Islands then scratch that itch with a fairly quick passage up the inside and depending on the weather consider a straight sail towards Rose Harbor (Ninstints) from Port Hardy.

QC truly is magical and potholing up the east coast August and early September will bring you on to the northern coho (silvers) 27 lbs of tailwalking fish, that is fun to catch and delicious to eat.

You will learn that the Haida worship “wind and weather” so adjust your mindset to accept the seasons and to pick your weather for open passages.

I would consider Prince Rupert as a winter base where you have all the modern support you will need, decent marina but also a myriad of protected channels to explore when the weather gives you a natural high. The locals are very friendly and a wealth of knowledge on hidden coves where you can disappear to.

Try the local smoked black Alaskan Cod and you will be in heaven as the seafood in the winter is at its very best.

In 2011, as spring arrives, you can slowly work your way up towards Prince William Sound, stopping in safe places near Ketchikan to watch the Bears catch the early runs.

See the glaciers by June/July before heading south at a pace that reflects the beauty of the Pacific Northwest.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 21:47   #37

We just came out of a 2 week haul out and are heading out for the long weekend (up here in Canada) but I'm going to PM each of you. Thanks!
Old 20-05-2010, 21:51   #38

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Have a wonderful time..Im not to far behind you.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 06:30   #39

Boat: SJ23 1988
Green with envy

You are ahead of me by a few years, please post as you can about your trip. I look forward to your reports and "PICTURES"!!!

My plan... as I'm a South Sounder. One way out/up.... don't know where I might turn arround and come back.... Guess the neighbors here might wonder too when the house becomes overgrown and they can't see it for the 6' tall grass and Black berry bushes... he he he

Have a Great Time!!!

Cheers
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 14:45   #40

Definitely - We will be posting many, many pictures and "place reports" at our blog!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:06   #41

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. I'll try to remember to post back in this thread next year to say where we went and what we liked most.

We take off in 4 days and although we are going to decide where to go as we go, we are keeping the comments in this thread in mind (and in our notes).

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Have a great cruise Livia.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 16:20   #43

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Bon voyage!
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12   #44

Merci!
Old 05-11-2010, 16:33   #45

What a fantastic first 4 months. We went up the inside, and then spent 3 months going down the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

From Oct 1 - April 1 (6 months) we have a slip. We will be working for 3 of those months and enjoying Victoria. We will be sailing 2 of those months and we will (and have been) doing land and air travel for 1 of those months.

In early April (after a haul out) we are back on the hook full time and...we'll see where we go. We head South to CA then Mexico at some point this summer.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and I will try to check back in. If you want to see our trip reports you can start reading the blog from the bon voyage party or sort the posts for canada.