Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2012, 18:08   #1

Boat: Nor'West 33
Smile Topolobampo, Sea of Cortez, Mexico -- Waypoints and Entry Info

We just spent 10 days in Topolobampo, where a Marina Palmira was opened not too long ago. It's $12 USD / day to stay in the marina (regardless of your boat size) and the staff are falling over themselves to be helpful.

Case in point -- they drove me to a lavanderia, drove me back to pick up the laundry, helped us to get fuel and water, and were always offering to lend a hand with groceries etc.

The entrance to Topolobampo through the offshore sandbar is a little convoluted-seeming, and I had a hard time finding any kind of nav info on it, so I thought I would post what we ended up using. Another cruiser passed these waypoints on to us, and we followed them 100%. Never saw less than 10', and were very happy to have them!!

The 'approach waypoint' will get you to the start of the channel markers. While the channel is marked the whole way in (with red & green buoys) they can seem to double up if you're not watching the waypoints carefully.

If you do decide to stay in Marina Palmira (you can anchor in the bay as well), make sure you try the fancy-looking restaurant. We were a little deterred by the linen tablecloths (cruiser's budget and all), but were delighted with what we found -- delicious seafood dishes & burgers, and all around $8-$10 USD. Do NOT miss the shrimp volcano -- it's as ridiculously awesome as it sounds

From Topolobampo you can take the local bus (17 pesos) in to Los Mochis. Mochis has pretty much every store a cruiser dreams of -- Home Depot, Walmart, paint stores, etc.

Topolobampo is also a great place to do inland trips from -- lots of cruisers take the train up to the Copper Canyon (on our list for next year), and we took a Tufesa bus to the small "pueblo magico" of Alamos. Stayed in an amazing little hotel, "Hotel Colonial" (Hotel Colonial - Alamos Mexico) and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Guess that's it for my post on Topolobampo -- let me know if there's anything else you're wondering about!

Leah
s/v Brio
With Brio | Life is too short to say later. And winters suck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WAYPOINTS_for_TOPOLOBAMPO.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	38891  
synchronicity98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 19:34   #2

Sounds great! I'm soo jealous. We stayed in Marina Palmira in La Paz when we were down there. Wonder if it's the same group. They were great there too. I've seen the restaurant on a cooking tv show. Looks & sounds wonderful. I would love to go there. I am stuck I LA working for 2 more years but I think I could drive down. Anyone ever drive there?
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 08:39   #3

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Topolobampo, Sea of Cortez, Mexico -- Waypoints and Entry Info

Awesome info. Thanks for sharing!
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, sea of cortez