Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 18:14   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Ugly Duckling Arrives in S. F. Sept 10

After 970 kt miles of 2 to 6 ft of westerly swells and northern winds we finally make it to SF.

We left on the morning of Sept 1 st and did pretty good on keeping it together . Lost a piece of rigging for the lazy jacks, a deck light, drowned the RAM mic from the VHF, wore a hole in the Bimini and blow out the flag on the MOB pole from the 45 kt winds we hit off the southern coast of Oregon. Oh, and I lost the screw out of my glasses twice, which I didn't find the second time. We pulled into Crescent City (The City of flies) for some R&R and reorganize, then to find a low building even more off the coast.
We call it the City of flies b/c the first afternoon some kelp flies showed up for a BBQ and went away at dusk. The next morning they called in the whole family before we could pull out. We must have killed 100 flies between Crescent City and SF. They wouldn't leave the boat. We must have been the fresh meat in town.

Next morning we snuck out in the fog to out run the low, which was heading north. We made a good decision. We hugged the coast until Cape Mendocino and the headed out around the point. Sailed on a reefed Genny thru the night to half way between Cape Men. and Pt. Arena then hit dead air, so motored a while and thru the night.

The next morning the wind picked up. So we hoisted the sails and started the last leg for SF it was about 4 hours away by calculations. But as time passed the wind begin to build. After two hours were were in 26 kt winds and hauling ass on a close reach. So, we reached the entrence buoys we turned before the wind and headed for the Gate. And just as we passed under the gate we came head to head with the Oricale which was starting its turn to head back SE. We rolled up the Genny and sailed by the main alone since it was straight down wind, then sailed under the Bay bridge and on into Alameda. And here she sits.

The boat and equipment did really well except the Garmin 6208 plotter. The thing wouldn't boot up after we left C. City. Just lines down the screen. Stared up the new Spectra 150 water maker, and was able to maintain power between motor runs due to lack of wind, mostly mornings.

The AIS kept us out of trouble running out the Sound at night. Twice we got bumped by our CPA. The big boys don't want us heading in their direction. But I also discovered the AIS can be out of sync too. I had one boat call me and said he was going to cross my path head on. When I check my readings he's was 30 miles behind me pulling into Pt. Angeles.

Checking back on the weather, It seems we got out of Seattle just in time. After we left a rain storm hit the Puget Sound area and flood warnings were in effect. At that time we had just pulled into Crescent City and caught the weather report history. Funny thing is we left two other boats in Neah Bay who were going to leave south the day after us. They had been waiting out the weather. I wonder what they decided to do? And I hear its still raining with thunder and lighting. Not something I would want to be in while out in the open Pacific! Fortunately, it only took 10 days via Roche Harbor, Neah Bay and Crescent City. That,s an average of 97 kt miles per day. A good run I would say.

Well, That's it. I fly home tomorrow, 9/17/13, after putting the boat in a floating storage state. IAW stow away loose gear and flush out the saltwater systems, pickle the water makers is some minor repairs too.

I,ll be back,
Old 16-09-2013, 19:10   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: Ugly Duckling Arrives in S. F. Sept 10

Good on ya! Sounds like you had a great run. What's next?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Good on ya! Sounds like you had a great run. What's next?
Then it's off to Hawaii. But not until next year it seems. I need to sell a house and other stuff first. After that it'll be on to the Philippines via a few islands.
Old 17-09-2013, 09:43   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Hey great story Del. Sounds like an interesting trip. I wish I had more time I would have come down to visit you in Alameda. Next time let me know when you are coming down.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 11:26   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Del,
Glad you and crew are safe. How many aboard? What was your watch schedule?
Old 17-09-2013, 11:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Del,
Glad you and crew are safe. How many aboard? What was your watch schedule?
Had two crew aboard. When it was rough or at night. We did two hour watches. During the day it was personal choice. Unfortunatly, the wind was at our backs most of the way, or the boat would have sailed itself.
Old 17-09-2013, 13:05   #7

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Good on ya.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 07:59   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Lost the screw out of your glasses? Perhaps that plotter was still working and the ol Mark 1 EB was on the fritz. Sounds like a ripping vigorous trip. Jealous, gotta admit.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 10:01   #9

Nah! I closed one eye and it still wouldn't boot up.

If it hadn't been so dark (moonless nights) I would have been able to see how big the waves really were. But when the water runs over the toerail you know you're having fun.

Thank goodness for a strong built boat. We came out unscathed with the minor exceptions. I was expecting some stress cracks in the hull/deck joint after such a beating, but not a one. The steering got a good workout too, but not one drip from the hydraulics. I do wish the wheel would have been 6" higher though. Did a lot of quick half turns on wheel to correct helm. It seemed there was a rhythm to the waves. Two to three smooth and then a big one pushing us off course.
Old 20-09-2013, 11:46   #10

Boat: Roughwater 33

Congrats! I've seen you running down the coast on AIS/marinetraffic.com as I'm headed south too. Hope to cross paths some day.

Cheers and happy sailing

Cameron
S/V Roughneck
csmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 15:23   #11

Just down loaded some pictures from the trip and it seems I was breaking some speed limits.

This was taken sitting at the dock and of the last leg of the trip after passing under the Golden Gate. The max speed was from the whole trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1165.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	67687  
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07   #12

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Thats a nice topspeed Del.I saw mine hit 13.8 How far out did you go?
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:25   #13

At times I was hit with 43 kt gusts off the Oregon coast.

I took a picture of the meter once I was in Alameda. I averaged about 50 miles off shore, out past the shelf. I reset the Trip Odom between each waypoint.
Old 02-11-2013, 14:52   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Hey Del,

I just stumbled on this thread - I thought "Ugly Duck" - how many boats could be called Ugly Duck? So I took a look at your blog and realized I knew you. We were tied up just down A dock from you. I was working on my boat all summer just like you. I actually saw you leaving and wondered if you were gone for good. Unfortunately, I wasn't as lucky as you with the timing. It took way too long to close the deal on my business so we are stuck here in Kingston for the winter. But we will be down next summer.

Glad you made it safely!!!

Mike
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRapture40 View Post
Hey Del,

I just stumbled on this thread - I thought "Ugly Duck" - how many boats could be called Ugly Duck? So I took a look at your blog and realized I knew you. We were tied up just down A dock from you. I was working on my boat all summer just like you. I actually saw you leaving and wondered if you were gone for good. Unfortunately, I wasn't as lucky as you with the timing. It took way too long to close the deal on my business so we are stuck here in Kingston for the winter. But we will be down next summer.

Glad you made it safely!!!

Mike
Hi Mike,
I remember talking to you from the foredeck. So far, I've been about one day ahead of the weather all this year. From the time I pulled the mast all the way up to date.

I got the mast back in before a big rain. I finished the hard dodger before a hard rain. And just yesterday I finished up the outside work on this house to put it up for sale. Today the north winds came in with rain and cold following.

It's probably good you moved out of the Everett Marina. I felt like I was be ripped off. My power bill last Nov. was over $150 and that was with (3) 250 watt heat lamps burning. It seems they charge for every tiny little thing they can get away with.
They even charged me for the last night there (as a guest $40) even though I was out real early. If one pays for all the days in a month he should get that last night too, one would think. NOT!

I wanted to leave with the Coho Ho Ho in Aug. but the dodger took me too long to finish. When you go, go on a full moon. I wish I could have seen the huge waves I had to ride out. It would have made steering a lot easier. At one point I got broached a bit and the boat heeled over about 45º a couple times before I could create a wind and wave system.

Here is a map of the passage...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PassageSept-1to10.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	69756