Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 23:03   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Vietnam - Cambodia

A mate of mine wants me to help him on a trip around the Cambodian Vietnamese boarder and associated Islands. This is the area we will be going to. We will be based around Phu Quoc and intend to go to the islands to the east.

cambodia - Google Maps

Has anyone been here, or heard about the area? When are the storm and monsoon seasons? Where can I find out about weather of the area?

Thanks Dennis.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 23:25   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Vietnam - Cambodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
A mate of mine wants me to help him on a trip around the Cambodian Vietnamese boarder and associated Islands.
Obviously not on his own boat?
Vietnam is not open to cruisers yet
they treat you as a commercial vessel with the corresponding fees
you can only go from one major port to the next major port, no deviation
Old 27-02-2011, 23:32   #3
cruiser

It will be on our own boat which is yet to be purchased. He speaks fluent Vietnamese and some Khmer. He currently lives in Cambodia and lived for Vietnam for years. He is a film maker and will have the correct clearance to make the film.

So anyone got info on weather patterns for the area?
Old 28-02-2011, 00:26   #4
cruiser

I found this. Looks like we will have rain during our planned trip in June/July. But at least there will be wind. Seems Typhoons are fairly rare in this area and occur later in the year.

http://discoverphuquoc.com/climateweather.html#a2
Old 28-02-2011, 03:20   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think there was someone in Hong Kong organizing a race there. You might want to contact the Hong Kong Yacht Club to see what they have achieved
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 23:45   #6
cruiser

Thanks guys. So no cruisers really go to the islands off Vietnam? The government has banned cruising? What about Cambodia?
Old 01-03-2011, 00:45   #7

Boat: Swan 56

The RHKYC organises a bi-annual race to Na Trang. I've done it a couple of times.

The first one in 1996 or so and was a bit of a fiasco, with boats getting impounded, people not allowed ashore to provision for the trip back etc. The next try was in 2005? - (the same year as the Tsunami) - my first and this went OK. Local Gov't was behind it and welcome was very good. A cruise afterwards was organised, but there were no takers. To my knowledge the cruise was never tried again. The race has been a fairly regular fixture since then (last years was cancelled due to typhoon activity though)

I have heard of people stopping there (Na Trang) on deliveries or fuel or shelter, but its big hassle, big money - I wouldn't choose to do it.

Sunsail did (maybe still do?) take boats up there. I know they were having lots of legal / logistical problems. Not sure if they got them ironed out or are even still there.

There are a couple of expats in Na Trang who (at least used to) help out with the RHKYC race. I don't have there contacts, but I'm sure RHKYC will.

My view of Vietnam is that it is an absolute gem waiting to be opened up for cruising. It will happen, but for me the hassle factor is too high.

If someone like yourself is prepared to push the cause a little further, I take my hat off to you and hope that there are more like you out there.

Cambodia I have visited often, but have no experience of sailing there - I've not heard of anyone who has - I would expect it to be much more restrictive and it is most certainly much more dangerous, but your friend will know much better than I.

Weather NE monsoon in winter, SW monsoon in summer. Neither will stop you sailing the Cambodian coastline. I'd be much more worried about the natives. Lots of guns, drugs and dead people in that little corner of Asia.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:09   #8

Just re-read the thread. You mate hasn't bought the boat and wants to make a film of that particular location?

Would renting / buying a local boat be the answer. Would sure get rid of a whole lot of "foreign vessel" problems.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:19   #9
cruiser

Thanks for that info. The area seems untouched which is the attraction. The plan is to buy the boat in Vietnam which will help somewhat. I am a little worried about the dangers of Piracy in the area.
Old 01-03-2011, 16:29   #10

Plan to buy in Vietnam is a good one I think. Getting local business / labour involved will also open doors. I wouldn't worry about personal safety in Vietnam. I've been visiting the country for over 10 years and had a couple of projects down there a few years back. Vietnam is completely safe and is one of my favourite asian countries.

The problem is that the Government, their departments and legislation are struggling to keep up with the massive changes that have happened. The way many departments operate is still assuming a closed, party dictated country - which it isn't. So when a group of foreigners want to sail down the coast, the immediate reaction is "spies". It matters not a jot that you can drive down the coast road. (which is a great trip by the way).

Go for it, and let us know how it all went.

Cambodia - like I said I don't speak from experience, but my gut feel is that this country will be a much bigger challenge.
Old 01-03-2011, 16:54   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
Sunsail did (maybe still do?) take boats up there. I know they were having lots of legal / logistical problems. Not sure if they got them ironed out or are even still there.
Nope, they have gone

Theres an F24 in Hoi An that does day trips, but that's all I came across when there last VIETNAM SAILING

Quote:
There are a couple of expats in Na Trang who (at least used to) help out with the RHKYC race. I don't have there contacts, but I'm sure RHKYC will.
I contacted saigon tourist last year about it as it seemed they did a lot of the internal organisation for the HK to Nha Trang races.
Thats where I got my information about being treated as a commercial ship, with the exorbitant fees and was told that one could only sail designated port to designated port, no stopping, no deviation.
More info and a few names here
My Sailing: Venture into Vietnam

Tags
Cambodia, Vietnam