Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:08   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
A bit of a warning for anyone coming into OZ.

Seem's that the Jackbooted Nazi's have taken up residence here.

Australian Custom's at their worst.

Thanks to Bob Norson of the "Coastal Passage" for the links!

Brutal Customs, like communist russia?

Australian Customs letter of complaint

Australian customs acting like secret police?

Other Issues in Australia

Issues that effect Boaties

Reckon when I go out of the country, the boat may not come back in if this is how it's going to be.

Dave
Dave You posted this.The first line might sound that way,but,the second and third sums up the aim of the story.Was that your comment,or someone elses?.The hardest thing to read was your statement at the bottom.Try reading behind the lines.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:00   #62

Boat: now floating easy37
i dont know i think i agree somewhat with daves comments, aussie is being legisalatively speaking top heavy to the point where a form is nearly needed to take a fart, personal freedom is slowly being eroded and everybody just smiles
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:53   #63

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
As I said before Mudnut, it would appear that this does not affect you, but it does affect anyone else coming in, or anyone leaving wanting to come back in.

It's a shame they don't have the same ferocity in our Northern waters where the illegal immigrant's and drug smugglers actually operate.

Never heard from them nor had a fly-over or saw a custom's vessel North of Cairn's.

I feel it is outrageous that they can carry on like this, and am equaly shocked that you think it is acceptable behaviour, and are so willing to roll over.

I for one don't bend over quite so easily, and certainly not with a smile on my face.

As I said , If the boat leaves the country, it may not come back if this it how it will be.

That does'nt mean I won't come back in, as this sort of treatment is not dished up at airport's, and they only need hours notice not 96.

What Amgine say's is correct

These are all well-publicised, and no one should grumble if they didn't get the list of what not to have onboard before getting to Australia. What has not been well-publicised is the need for 96 hours notice (no more than 10 days, although that may be disappearing from the guidelines the prudent skipper would not take that risk given the recent history.) Sometimes the rumour is not as bad as the reality, which has clearly happened at least 6 times in the past year in Australia.

Dave
Old 06-02-2007, 08:03   #64
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Speaking only as a possible future visitor, the thing that concerns me is NOT that such a requirement exists, but that a violation of it is treated in such an extreme way. Does the punishment fit the crime? It seems that the requirement to notify them at least 96 hours prior to arrival is a bit unreasonable for yachts, but it is your country and if that is what you want then it is up to us to try and comply. But, when someone does not, or is not aware of the requirement, what is the harm? The officers have their schedule for the day messed up a bit? Yet, the response to this seems to criminalize the visitor, not to mention be very expensive and stressful. I could see warnings, even a fine stiff enough to get's one attention (say, $500), but criminal procedures and fines large enough to make most people have to go into their savings to pay? It just doesn't seem proportionate.

This in no way minimizes or criticizes Australia's need to protect itself from invasive species (including undesirable humans). You should. But it seems that a practice that helps people be aware of it and makes them proud to comply will get much more mileage than one that is based on the fear of being labeled a criminal.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:18   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

They should have come to Britain. Would have a Council House by now.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:58   #66

Boat: Catalina 22 MKII
So it seems that the 10 day outside limit is no longer mentioned on Australian Customs website. Whew, I can lift my boycott. Lookout Australia, here I come. Oh wait, I am still broke, wife is still pregnant, youngest is still in diapers, oldest is still in school. Australia will have to wait, but I will get there...
cferger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 17:09   #67

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Last time I sailed into Cairns...

the officials took most ALL of our frozen & canned foodstuffs away from us... as expected.

No Big Deal, really.

BUT - later that very afternoon - I witnessed a couple of local "feral" blokes digging my food out of the dumpster!

I watched them eat some of it right there at the Marlin Marina / Pier Market Place and load the rest of my confiscated food into their grocery cart and head off in the direction of Johno's!

It wouldn't surprise me if the uniformed officials eat quite well, too.

Perhaps it's simply a way of taxing visitors in order to reduce the wellfare soup lines and forcing us to go shopping right away.

I just hope we never get all the government that we're paying for!

Bon Appitete!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 18:07   #68

Put a silly prick in a uniform and too often it goes to their head.
Traditionally most Australian officials would have been diligent but friendly and I would imagine that Australians would take a dim view of the overzealousness of officialdom in cases such as the Sohcahtoa affair.
As for the required notice of arrival fair enough, if it is made known and feasible, but don't forget that they are also notified by customs at the departure point, and use satellite monitoring.
Prudence would suggest notification be given prior to departure, as if your radio packed up you might well make some prat's day.
It seems a pity to destroy goodwill when most people understand the need for and will cooperate with biosecurity and customs.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 23:47   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
As I said before Mudnut, it would appear that this does not affect you, but it does affect anyone else coming in, or anyone leaving wanting to come back in.

It's a shame they don't have the same ferocity in our Northern waters where the illegal immigrant's and drug smugglers actually operate.

Never heard from them nor had a fly-over or saw a custom's vessel North of Cairn's.

I feel it is outrageous that they can carry on like this, and am equaly shocked that you think it is acceptable behaviour, and are so willing to roll over.

I for one don't bend over quite so easily, and certainly not with a smile on my face.

As I said , If the boat leaves the country, it may not come back if this it how it will be.

That does'nt mean I won't come back in, as this sort of treatment is not dished up at airport's, and they only need hours notice not 96.

What Amgine say's is correct

These are all well-publicised, and no one should grumble if they didn't get the list of what not to have onboard before getting to Australia. What has not been well-publicised is the need for 96 hours notice (no more than 10 days, although that may be disappearing from the guidelines the prudent skipper would not take that risk given the recent history.) Sometimes the rumour is not as bad as the reality, which has clearly happened at least 6 times in the past year in Australia.

Dave
Dave,most of the above sits well in my mind,It dosent effect me and thats spot on but for those that it does effect,"Their the people"who have to comply.If they do, it sould be breeze.And every post on this page from Amgine down has been spot on also.I hate what was done to those people ,down right un-Australian,and "IF"it was so for every person who came to OZ in a boat I could understand a strong approach.My money is on Australia.Penis envy might not only be in customs,It sounds like it's in our legal system also. Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:44   #70

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
NO they don't.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
i dont know i think i agree somewhat with daves comments, aussie is being legisalatively speaking top heavy to the point where a form is nearly needed to take a fart, personal freedom is slowly being eroded and everybody just smiles
sean
IMHO locals who do fart, usually then smile, and probably consider using the form as a wipe.

Lets face it guys, Oz is still the land of the free.
Just as long as you avoid or ignore the bad officials - the rest is unbeatable.

JOHN
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47   #71

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
NO they don't.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
sean
IMHO the locals who would fart would smile, and then consider using the form as a wipe.

C'mon guys - Oz still is the land of the free - all you need do is either avoid, or ignore, the sad officials. It's definately not an experience anyone should sail past - and now we all know of the early reporting rule - hopefully the issues addressed.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 07-02-2007, 07:19   #72

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
I really hope that the officials get their act together before my wife and I take the big plunge in 2009 with the hope of arriving in Oz in 10 or 11. I have met many Aussies and also worked with quite a few. They have always been fun loving and great company, and a great credit to the country. The only ones I haven't liked are the cricketers and rugby players - but that's another story!!! Seriously my wife and I are really looking forward to cruising the Australian coast and meeting lots of people.

The customs regulations about reporting before arrival will have to change or the only boats to be able to visit will be the mega yachts stuffed full of electronics who can comply with the laws. I'm sure that some parlimentarian will bring this idiocy up with the government and have it tailored more sensibly to suit us yachties. We are not asking for special previliges but mearly a fair crack of the whip to enable us to see Oz, meet its people and share in all it has to offer.

I can see the sense of the environmental regulations re the food issue and ensuring a clean underwater hull and agree with this. Why spoil such pristine beauty when it can be prevented, or at least delayed? However, this reporting before arrival does seem draconian and for most of us impossible to achieve. When the cruisers stop coming and there is a financial implication it may spark some reaction and common sense will once again prevail.

On a circumnavigation it is almost impossible and totally impractical to miss such a huge lump of land so a way round the legislation must be found. I am heartened that the most vocal critics of this nonsense are the Aussie yachties - good on you. As a non-Aussie I can do nothing to bring about a change to the country's laws but reading this forum proves that you guys are fighting our corner and we are all grateful for this.

I remember the crown of thorns in Mauritius when I was there in 71 to 73. We used to bring them ashore whenever we went snorkelling or diving. Back then we were told that the GBR was infested with them and that it would be totally destroyed within ten or twenty years - glad to know that it isn't. We also knew that its natural enemy was the triton and never took one from the sea.
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 15:09   #73

Boat: Westsail 32
another impression

Just throwing this out there:

We cleared into Australia from Vanuatu last Nov. We'd heard lots of stories about people running into difficulties because they arrived unprepared and didn't have the right documentation.

In Port Vila we applied for six month multi-pass visas at the Aussie embassy downtown (around $60, takes a week). In addition we filed our 'arrival' note with Aussie customs the day before we left on the week long passage.

When we arrived in Bundaberg the local 'coast watch' was very helpful in finding the quarantine buoy up the Burnett river (we transited in opening of the river at 0100). The next day the local marina called us on the VHF to have us move over to the clearance dock.

In all we met with quarantine, immigration and customs - we were blown away with not just the professional quality of everyone we met but also the friendliness (American officials would never introduce themselves by first name and even ask permission kindly to come aboard). The process took a couple of hours but was totally painless in the end.

That said - we did meet people who had run afoul of the 72 hours pre-notice issue again this year.
micoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 14:59   #74

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Found custom's very helpful, and even a bit casual on clearing out to go to Vanuatu recently, but seem's they are still playing hard on the clearing in.

Australian Customs versus American Sailors

Australian Customs is Wrong

Having not cleared back in myself, I can't really comment on their service, but they still sound tough and unforgiving.

Dave
Old 21-04-2007, 15:04   #75

Boat: now floating easy37
finally come out of the shed have we dave? boats in the water now 8-)
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia