Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2008, 18:34   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Yeah, you never know about those guys. What year did Chris graduate? Just wondering if I knew him from back then.
Don't have the exact year but I think around '85

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 18:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
Congratulations on your safe and uneventful (except for clogged fuel filter, the Columbia River bar, broken clutch cable) passage. We bought our Sceptre in Seattle, sailed her to San Francisco and then back north and again back south. That's three times past the Oregon/Northern California coast, and all three times we had big winds and big seas for at least a day of the trip. Solstice handled well, though, and we always felt safe.

We know two other Sceptres in San Francisco Bay: Pacific Wind and Welcome Passage, both in Marin. If you see them out there, please say hello for us. The three of us met on the 2007 Baja Ha-Ha.

I've followed your web site. More so when I was looking to buy a Sceptre. Nice site. We are hoping to do the 2008 Baja Ha Ha. All we need to do is make sure the money is there? LOL yeah that's all. Did you get your tranny all fixed up?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 26-05-2008, 20:29   #18

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
Yes, the new transmission finally cleared Guatemalan customs and we made it out of Puerto Quetzal on January 31st. Now we're in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Yes, we transited the Canal. We're leaving here to cross the Atlantic on Thursday. Just met with three other boats leaving the same day. Our own mini-rally. Amazingly, all four of us sailed down the Pacific coast: two from Ventura; two from B.C. Now, on the the Azores!
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 20:42   #19

Great I'll keep a watch on your site. There is another member of this forum who is heading to Europe and has a Sceptre 41 here is a link to their site Sailing Flamenco.

BTW what are you guys doing to keep water out of the anchor locker. I used duct tape on the WEst Coast Slide but am desigining a piece of canvas (sunbrella) that I can mount on aluminum curtain slides that will zip down the middle. It will be nothing near watertight but won't allow enough water in that the drains are overwhelmed.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 26-05-2008, 21:17   #20

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Yes, we know about Saeta (Sailing Flamenco). I'll email them tomorrow to give them our radio check times. They're leaving a little later but from farther north, so it will probably all work out about the same.

John has built a cover of sorts for the hawse pipe to keep the water out. Although it's been a bit wet, it hasn't been a major issue so far. Still, we prefer not to have the bilge pump kick in because then we have to figure out why. Sometimes it isn't water from the chain locker. Those are the bad times.
Old 28-05-2008, 20:43   #21

One of the crew took some nice photos and posted them to the web. Here is a link http://www.threeacres.org/sailing
>

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 29-05-2008, 05:35   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Uneventful can be a wonderful thing at times. Seeing the pictures coming in under the bridge reminds me of returning from Mexico. I came in on Halloween night just as the sunset. I was one happy sailor. Doing a little dance of joy on the deck. I must have been a sight to anyone who could see me. Maybe it was because I was single-handing. If it's okay to talk to yourself. Then it is probably okay to dance with yourself tooooooooooo
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 07:33   #23

I remember coming in under the gate after the first time I had been away for a long time. It was a delivery from Cabo to Sf and it was a very long trip. Everywhere we went the wind was blowing like snot. On the nose. It was a double handed delivery and coming under the gate I did a dance as well.

It sure was nice this last time b/c we had been in some heavy fog for about 24 hours sometimes seeing only 200' from the boat. As we got closer to SFthe fog lifted and as we went under the bridge the fog vannished. Sausilito had those blankets of fog rolling down the hills and there was bright sunshine everywhere else. We were greeted by numerous seals who were feeding along the current lines and there was a nice flood to help us into the Bay.

Funny though. I love the Bay but after sailing in the PNW, chartering in Florida, and reading about so many places where there are great anchorages every 10 or 15 miles I am more excited about taking the boat south to warmer waters then sailing her around the Bay. On review its not the warmer waters so much as places to anchor that are somewhat remote. I'm not exactly sure what I'm saying here. Its more of a feeling -- a desire -- wanderlust. I guess what it realy comes down to is that I would rather be cruising.

OTOH I need to enjoywhere I am at. SF Bay is a very nice place to sail. I'm rambling. Sorry.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 29-05-2008, 09:07   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Charlie,

That's not rambling I understand completely. Even though the bay is cold, and the winds strong with the currents. It is a most wonderful place to sail. I miss sailing home to Emeryville after an exhausting sail on the Bay.

To move at your leisure, and seek out new anchorages. Make new friends, see new sights, and experience everything that S.F. isn't is also a wonderful thing. Since I have spent 4 seasons in the Bahamas my need to sail to the South Pacific has been pacified for now. Most of all the clear warm water with all the colors that come with it also pacify my need to return home to the Bay.......
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 22:19   #25

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
Encouraging

We are hoping to cruise down the west coast next year from Vancouver Island, Canada. Researching at the moment and make our White Shell II ready. We have had her for three years and looking forward to go exploring.
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:35   #26

Luepetri, we loved our time in British Columbia, but I'm sure you'll enjoy getting to some better weather.

Charlie, it was fun to see the photos of your trip. I didn't have a good enough connection in Fort Lauderdale to see them, and I confess, I'd forgotten until I got the alert about Luepetri's post and went back to the thread. I see Ohana also has only single spreaders. Solstice too. Do you also have rod rigging?

I can understand your wanderlust. We're usually ready to move on after a week or two, whether at anchor or at the dock. This winter in Amsterdam will be the first time we've stayed put for over a year.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:31   #27

Hi Shirlee:

Yes we do have rod rigging. I just spent a small fortune having it all replaced. I figured at 23 years it was about time. I've been following yours and Saieta's travels and frankly am very jealous. Oh well my time will come.

Luepetri:

Use your time in the PNW well. You live in some of the best cruising grounds in the world. I know one guy who has put 35k nm (That is a circumnavigation) on his boat but never left the PNW. You could spend a lifetime there and never see it all.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad