Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2007, 01:25   #16

Paul...that is the actual law in Hawai'i though rarely enforced.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ha...rc=Formalities Look at the paragraph "Restrictions". I've anchored for weeks in Hanalei and never had trouble.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 05:48   #17

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
To add perspective, we chatted last night with a friend who was filming a golf tournament on Oahu just last week. Inbetween rounds, he dropped by to visit a friend from Caribbean days who'd sailed into Honolulu and acquired a long-term berth at the Ali Wai marina. This struck me as a fairly typical story: some folks can make things work while others find initial difficulties and can't seem to overcome them. In reading the above threads and other PMs from some of you who've sailed in HI, I wonder if this isn't just another place where 'entitlement' thinking doesn't fit but there are ways to address the problem. E.g. I notice no one has yet mentioned a pleasing, protected anchorage with room for newcomers and adjacent to the local bus route that drops one at multiple shopping centers only a mile or two away, and with a dink landing 100m from the boat. I know little about Oahu and nothing about the other islands, yet know about this anchorage. Perhaps it isn't the only berthing/moorage/anchorage option beyond those mentioned?

Jack
Old 25-01-2007, 10:25   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jack,

That anchorage sounds like Kaneohe. I was there for the Pacific Cup race and the Kaneohe Yacht Club made room for all the race boats to raft up at the bulkhead or be in a slip. This is much more relaxed than the Honolulu side.

When I was in Hanele Bay, I was anchored for about two weeks, and there were boats that looked like they had been there for months. I believe that everyone clears out before the winter swell makes the place too dangerous. I never saw enforcement of the time restriction, but obviously that does happen.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:09   #19
cruiser

Hawaii

My friend was harrased last summer 2006, so things have definitely changed , for the worst.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 01:01   #20

Jack...it's not a "'entitlement' thinking ". There's a 15-20 year waiting list at the Ala Wai but space is reserved for transient boats, by law. Your friend might have gotten a 3 month transient slip but he did not get a "long term" berth.

There's no liveaboards allowed to moor in Kanohe except for the 3 day rule.

Several factors involved with boating in Hawai'i. It's terrible boating in the channels between the islands, and many places on the windward coasts. Few people in the world have ever seen the North shore of Molokai though some fish there regularly. Anchorages are not that common, sheltered anchorages are even harder to find. There are a few on each island but many are untenable when the wind shifts (Kona winds) or there is a south swell. Lahaina Roadstead Maui, Kaunakakai Molokai, even Radio Bay in Hilo during winter storms can be treacherous. It's not a boaters world.

The state government pays little attention to boating and funds aren't provided to improve harbors or even to maintain them. Keehi Lagoon was a beautiful state marina in the 60's and 70's. The piers were allowed to collapse and most are condemned now. Same thing with the Ala Wai except a protest storm demnaded improvements. Money generated from boating and marina's goes into the general fund where it is spent on social issues.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 10:32   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Kapena says it well.
The state moors, docks and piers are a bit embarrassing to boating residents like me who want to be welcoming to cruising newcomers to the islands. Government official's attitudes seems to be "who cares about boaters" since they are not boaters and their families don't have boats.
Mr Ian Birnie of Radio Bay is an exception. A longtime sailor/boater himself he runs a good show but Radio Bay is limited in space and constricted by state rules and regulations.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 16:16   #22

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
We just got back from a 4 day stay at Kanapali on Maui. Granted its resort row but we were surprised at the attitude of a lot of the people there.

There was not a lot 'o love between the locals and the tourists. Heck, there wasn't a lot 'o love between the tourests themselves. Most of the people in the service industry that you deal with, can't speak english. Turns out that many of them are inported from the Phillipines (Sp?).

Imported service labor, skyrocket housing prices, thousands of tourests bleeding cash.. Where's all the money going? What's going on?

-jim lee
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58   #23

Although it seems it would be simple to just sail around the islands in Hawaii. The channels in between (Molokai channel, Alanuihaha channel) are some of the roughest channels in the world. If you watch the movie 100 years of the Transpac, you'll see many yachts that made the entire Pacific crossing just to capsize, lose thier masts or run aground in the Molokai channel.
SailGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:08   #24

What exactly is "rough" about the channel? Its deep, so no worries about running a ground. Given the proximity of the islands to each other, I would expect a funnel effect which would increase the wind speed. There might be stronger currents? Is the issue wind and currents?
What if you drop sail and just motor through if you need to pass through one of the channels?
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 16:04   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jim and Limpet,

Sorry you had that experience at Kaanapali. It used to be fun to sail up to the lee of the big black rock, anchor and row ashore for a good dinner. Good diving there too. Resorts don't want sailors to do that anymore.
You have to remember that it is pretty much tourist central there. Hope you got into the Lahaina Yacht Club. Lots of fun.

Limpet, The channels are nasty. Motoring doesn't help. 12-18 foot waves are still big when they are close together and in the channels it isn't a long swell that you're talking about. If you are into that kind of fun, go for it. It is doable. It is not comfortable and 95% of the sailors I know don't like it. I've done it many times and will again but I don't like it.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:25   #26

Boat: Catalina 38 Hull #173
Re: What's the deal with Hawaii?

Bought a home in Hilo in 2011 and wanted to bring our Catalina 38 from Brisbane to use in Hawaii when we were there. Apparently things have not changed. When attempting to fine a place to moor the boat in the local bay I was advised by the local harbour authorities that these local moorings were for the exclusive use of the local fishing community and alloted places were on a long waiting list. He suggested I would have more luck to moor across the island some 60 miles away. Although there are many great and challenging reasons to sail these beautiful island waters I have been advised that sailing in Hawaii is not a big thing and infrastructure for private recreational boating was not a priority. We decided against bring the yacht across which was a real disappointment. We explored bareboat charters and were pointed towards the Honolulu Yacht Club where 24' day-sailors were available but not for inter-island passages. I accept that the sites for safe mooring are limited but I still find the attitude poor regardless.
stuarthoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:32   #27

Re: What's the deal with Hawaii?

We spent the summer in Hanalei Bay this year. State guys in an inflatable came by to tell us that three days were free but after that we had to pay. It was about $100. per month for our 56' cat.
drewke07 is offline   Reply With Quote