Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 11:52   #1

Where to anchor out in San Fran Bay?

I am planning to spend a few weeks sailing around San Francisco Bay, wandering and exploring I have a 19' sailboat, but I have never slept on it. Most of the recommendations I've found are obsolete.

Right now, I will start by trying to identify a nearby harbor or yacht clubs. What troubles me most is, where do I go and what do I do when anchoring out in some random place is my only option? I also need tips for staying safe and avoiding trouble. I would also be grateful suggested spots.

I'm starting in Redwood City, and have no plans after that. Staying south seems like the quietest option, but I am open to good advice.

I know there is much drama in the Bay area regarding liveaboards. I won't be in any one place more than one night.

Thanks!
TOMMYKAY9483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Where to anchor out in San Fran Bay?

First, what kind of trouble are you trying to avoid? Is it to make sure you're anchored in a spot protected from wind and waves, solid holding ground for the anchor or are you concerned you might anchor in a prohibited area and get chased away by the local water police?

Also, SF Bay is a pretty large area. North end or south or up the Delta?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 15:08   #3

I am putting in at Redwood City. I don't much care which way I go. My main concern is being hassled for my choice of anchoring spot.

If you say that Angel Island is the only hassle free place to anchor, then I will spend a few weeks near there. If you say I could nestle in the tall grass (keel up) near the Alviso, then I will spend more time in the South Bay. ( probably won't make it all the way to the delta, but two weeks is a lot of time.)

All the drama relating to live-aboards has me wary of being woken out of a sound sleep by the water police.
Old 02-07-2021, 15:53   #4

Boat: Mason 44

I don’t know the South Bay well, just that it’s extremely shallow in lots of places.
Once north of the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island (Clipper Cove) is a good place to spend a night or two. No permit required for 24hrs, but if staying longer you need to get a free permit from Treasure Island Development Authority. But you won’t be able to get back into the marina if you dinghy ashore. People used to dinghy to the beach and exit that way, but there’s been a lot of construction lately, so not sure if that still works. There is a little store just outside the marina for supplies.

Ayala Cove on Angel Island has mooring buoys (no anchoring). There is a charge, but not always enforced. Lot’s to explore on the island, and there’s a small restaurant.

There are a couple of open anchorages on the east side of Angel island, although pretty exposed. The ground also slopes steeply, so make sure the anchor is well set.

Paradise Cove, east side of Tiburon peninsula used to be a nice anchorage, but I haven’t been there in a while. There’s supposed to be a fee to land your dinghy.

If you can afford it, almost all the marinas have guest docks…
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 16:43   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYKAY9483 View Post
I am putting in at Redwood City. I don't much care which way I go. My main concern is being hassled for my choice of anchoring spot.

If you say that Angel Island is the only hassle free place to anchor, then I will spend a few weeks near there. If you say I could nestle in the tall grass (keel up) near the Alviso, then I will spend more time in the South Bay. ( probably won't make it all the way to the delta, but two weeks is a lot of time.)

All the drama relating to live-aboards has me wary of being woken out of a sound sleep by the water police.
You mention drama about live aboard twice , that's not what you are doing .. you are cruising for 2 weeks - in transit.. not that I know San Fran , but that's a completely different thing .
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 18:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsumurun View Post
You mention drama about live aboard twice , that's not what you are doing .. you are cruising for 2 weeks - in transit.
Certainly right. But I don’t want to be woken up so I can explain that the the authorities.

I’ve never slept avoided a boat, let alone in a huge suburban area with many overlapping justifications. I don’t know what I am up against, so I am asking advice.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:13   #7

Boat: Other people's boats

For a few weeks I wouldn't expect much trouble. I have anchored in Paradise Cove a few times; no complaints but it is rather exposed to the East and thus the occasional wake from passing ships. Taking a mooring at Ayala Cove is also worth doing, and you should have no issues anchoring by Cone Rock in Richardson Bay.

Regarding the east side of Angel Island, I've heard some reports of potential to foul an anchor there (e.g. submerged ruins near China Cove, large rocks off quarry beach) so be cautious. The cruising guides I've seen don't mention this, so I'm curious what others might have heard.

You can also anchor in Aquatic Park for a few days, see link for details and watch for swimmers.

Some time back I also recall seeing a vessel anchored for some time south of Alameda Harbor (~37°45.5' -122°18'), though it seems a bit exposed to me.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 20:16   #8

There’s aquatic park, @ Ghirardelli Square 24 hr.(a lot of people during the day, swimmers too) Ayalas cove mooring 30$/day, Angel Islands a nice place to explore, great views. Richardson bay anchorage, between Tiburon and Belvedere island. North of the Richmond bridge is Mcneers beach, @ San Pedro pt,
Sohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 21:01   #9

Buy a book

Kimball Livingston Sailing The Bay

Allay all fears, you're sailing and anchoring, not a liveaboard.

I lived and sailed in SF from 78 to 16. No worries. Chill. Enjoy.

It's a long way up from RC to the main bay, ride the current.

Safe Journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:40   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

The bay has limited anchorages and the ones it does have are subject to current, wind and water traffic. Therefor, suggest launching your sailboat in the Delta where the water and air temperature is warm and they a plenty of safe and popular anchorages like Potatoe Slough (my favorite), The Meadows, Mandeville Tip, Five Fingers, Steamboat Slough, and Lost Slough, etc. Bring a stern anchor and a dinghy with a small motor to visit local restaurants and marinas.

https://californiadelta.org/about-the-delta/
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:03   #11

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

One of my favorite places to anchor overnight is just inside the entrance to Richardson Bay, 200-300 yards off the Sausalito Yacht harbor. Beautiful views of the city and the fog rolling in over the mountain. Great holding in sticky mud. It can be a little bumpy from all the wakes as people return to the docks during the evening (that's one reason we drop the hook so far from the channel), but nice and quiet otherwise.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:40   #12

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

China camp is nice too. Theres a fort on the N side of the Golden Gate bridge that has a protected area. Not sure if you can overnight there but worth looking into. Kirby cove is just outside the Golden gate bridge on the N side. More adventuresome anchoring. And of course theres always Richardsons Bay in Sausalito. You can anchor there but the homeless living on boats have made it a theft zone. If you are not getting off the boat then no problem. Angel Island also has a dock you can tie up to in addition to the mooring buoys, Been a long time but I think it's 1st come 1st serve. Cheap too.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:54   #13

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

You have a small boat that will be easy to anchor just about anywhere, and your timeline is a couple of weeks, which limits your range. One consideration is shore access for provisioning, etc. as you can anchor in many places, but not many with reasonable shore access for food and such.

In Redwood City you can anchor in the sloughs and the channel, and if you get stuck in mud just hang for a few hours until the tide comes in.

In the South Bay you can anchor anywhere and I've dropped the hook in the middle of the bay between the Dumbarton Bridge and Redwood City and had the whole bay to myself. Very few boats go south of the bridge. You probably have a shallow enough draft to visit Alviso and Palo Alto.

It will take you 8-10 hours but the trip north to the central bay brings you to all the interesting stuff but also much boat traffic and more limited anchoring options.

You can tuck into just about any spot that seems protected and out of the way along the shoreline, and even in the Oakland estuary. The estuary would be cool as it's protected and a small boat like yours can find many spots to anchor as long as you don't intend to stay there long term. If some authority tells you to move along, do so, no problem.

Clipper Cove is a great anchorage and there is a market within walking distance on Treasure Island.

Aquatic Park is great for you as well, just check in by phone.

Richardson Bay is paradise for anchor outs and has easy shore access. There's a good dinghy dock attached to the fuel dock at Clipper Harbor that gives you easy access to Molly Stone's market. The Sausalito public dock is fine but crowded.

Years ago I anchored near the Berkeley pier in the area between it and Emeryville. It's fine in settled summer weather but beware of the wind and waves that get kicked up by being in "the slot."

Angel Island has coves all round the island and you can tuck in close to land for protection. Being such a small boat you can go where the more common bigger boats can't or don't go.

Realize that unless it's posted or noted on a chart as restricted, as long as you don't impede navigation in a channel, you can anchor anywhere. Don't be afraid to go where other boats don't or can't go.

If you have more time or wish to skip the central bay, you can visit the north bay (benicia, Vallejo, martinez, napa river, petaluma river) and Delta which is a very different experience that you may prefer (or not) and is worth the trip.

Have fun gunkholing for 2 weeks, you'll probably want to keep going!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 13:00   #14

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

You haven't told us anything about the sailboat. Is it an open boat, a daysailor with a small cuddy, or a boat with a more significant enclosed cabin. I ask as exposed areas like the weather side of Angel Island are really not the best place to anchor in an open boat.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 14:14   #15

Oops. Yes, you are right.

I have a 19' West Wight Potter sailboat. Draft is 6" keel up, and 3' 7" keel down. It has a small cabin with a v-berth, stove and porta potty.

Tags
anchor