Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2024, 14:23   #1

Where to go from here that's the million dollar question?

I recently purchased a 45 ft Bruce Roberts with Chinese junk sales. I am sitting in Lopez Island Washington debating what to do next lol.

I can go north I can go south but I would not go west in a boat that I'm learning but what I do know is I have to leave this Marina on the 24th and as a disabled veteran I don't have no plans I can go anywhere we have our passports we have no criminal records.

I was thinking of going North toward Vancouver working our way to Alaska enjoying the views for the summer and then make that little jump West to Russia and work my way down to Asia to get new Chinese junk sales made.

I can also go south all the way to Nicaragua where I can stop and visit family and I'm not thinking I'm going south just for them so please don't say go visit family just because it's family. It's what makes sense when you're leaving Lopez Island with limited experience on this sailboat that does not have autopilot.

I welcome any replies comments moans grown gripes suggestions recommendations LOL hope something gets started with advice and maybe some Direction
Vandeusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 17:53   #2

Re: Where to go from here that's the million dollar question?

Probably you should use this summer to explore the Sound and the Gulf Islands and gain experience in mostly sheltered waters. You don't need to go to Asia to get sails made; they ship. Where you go next depends on your and your partner's health, financial resources, the condition of the boat and your (both of you) skill levels. You had the boat surveyed when you bought it presumably, so that should tell you what else needs doing. No offence, but your post reads as either humorous or unrealistic or both. If you're contemplating ocean passages you presumably have a good skill and experience level already?
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 18:09   #3
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Good time of the year to start a nice trip north - slowly...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 09:24   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I think I'd like to take up flying, although my experience is as a passenger.

I think I will start learning by taking my first flight solo on a 747.

/sarc

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:55   #5

Not on pacific. I am generally a Looper on the East Coast
Old Today, 06:56   #6

Trying to gain experience in a 10 ft sailboat does not equate to being in a 44-ft sailboat. 45 ft is what I own and is what I've been sailing daily. Getting lots of experience went through to Gale forced wind storms dealing with around 10 ft Seas with 30 mph winds didn't like that though everyone but myself get sick I don't think I got sick because I was doing steering since we don't have autopilot yet I am still trying to figure out what kind of autopilot to put on this 2002 45 ft Bruce Roberts offshore. Any help in that regards would be great
Old Today, 07:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillikum View Post
Probably you should use this summer to explore the Sound and the Gulf Islands and gain experience in mostly sheltered waters. You don't need to go to Asia to get sails made; they ship. Where you go next depends on your and your partner's health, financial resources, the condition of the boat and your (both of you) skill levels. You had the boat surveyed when you bought it presumably, so that should tell you what else needs doing. No offence, but your post reads as either humorous or unrealistic or both. If you're contemplating ocean passages you presumably have a good skill and experience level already?
+2

If you are that new, then don't immediately go to remote areas where you're more self-reliant. Sail local and 'learn the ropes'.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:13   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandeusen View Post
Trying to gain experience in a 10 ft sailboat does not equate to being in a 44-ft sailboat. 45 ft is what I own and is what I've been sailing daily. Getting lots of experience went through to Gale forced wind storms dealing with around 10 ft Seas with 30 mph winds didn't like that though everyone but myself get sick I don't think I got sick because I was doing steering since we don't have autopilot yet I am still trying to figure out what kind of autopilot to put on this 2002 45 ft Bruce Roberts offshore. Any help in that regards would be great
Actually, it does.

If you can keep a 10' sailboat from rolling over or pitchpoling in strong winds, sailing a 40' plus boat is easy.

It's the same reason why airline pilots, fighter pilots, large transport pilots start out flying small Cessna Aircraft.

You miss so much learning about sailing if you start with a large boat because when you make an adjustment of any type the boat takes forever to react to that change so you get no feedback.

On a small boat though, you get immediate feedback and sometimes when you make the wrong adjustment you end up in the water.

That lesson will stick with you.

Even sailing schools start you out on small boats first.

The sailing school here, Sail Time, uses Catalina Capri 22's for their beginner class.

I learned on a Hobie 16 which will definitely put you in the water if you make a mistake. Plus, you are the ballast.

A Hobie 16 can also reach speeds of about 26 knots, and if you pitchpole at that speed, you will remember it. (what you did wrong)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote