Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 17:14   #1

Boat: grand banks europa
whitsundays with a dog

hi we are planning a trip with our three kids and our lab pup from gold coast to whitsundays this year.wondering if any one can give advise on taking our dog,as their are a lot of national parks in this area,any dog friendly places to visit.
peter thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 18:29   #2

Boat: Farr 36
Re: whitsundays with a dog

Hi Peter we travelled up to Cairns from Bundaberg last year not many spots to walk a dog legally.
That beening said we have a 10 yr old kelpie which we exersized by swimming, the toilet issue is training port for piss, starbord for **** just wash off.
The dog been on board for 3 yrs we left in 2010, Perth to Hobart to Bundaberg to Cairns.
Goodluck happy travels
Old 22-02-2013, 19:08   #3

Boat: grand banks europa

thanks for your help we hope to take her with us and just be carefull where we let her off for a quck walk each morning.
peter thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 03:27   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter thomson View Post
thanks for your help we hope to take her with us and just be carefull where we let her off for a quck walk each morning.
Quote:
Can I walk my dog on the national park islands or beaches?

Domestic animals are not permitted in national parks or on national park island beaches in the Whitsundays.
Whitsunday national park islands - Frequently asked questions (Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing)
Quote:
No pets are allowed on national park islands. In addition, in the Whitsunday Islands National Park, dogs are not permitted on any beach, even intertidal areas
Enjoying the Whitsundays - GBRMPA

As there are lots of locals who love their national park and hate dogs ruining them you will be dobbed in...

Plus there is a veritable boom in different Nanny State police agencies with boats there inspecting you. We were boarded more times in the Whitsundays than the rest of the world combined!

Leave puppy at home.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 04:59   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Officially most of the Whitsundays, and Cumberland Group for that matter, is national park and what isn't is privately owned or resorts. In all cases a dog pooping would be unwelcome and the dog isn't allowed to be in a NP full stop. Unofficially, it's not unusual to see cruisers with smallish dogs, and I have seen plenty on the beaches adjacent to NP's, but you do run the risk of a fine doing this and there are patrols about. Surprisingly, I've only ever been visited by the marine park officers in the remoter locations and I'm yet to encounter them within the "general" area of the Whitsundays (where all the bareboats hang out). They must be there however, as someone is restocking the toilet paper in all those toilet blocks scattered about the islands!

Another thing to consider is that the Marine Park begins at the High Tide mark. This means the majority of beaches are technically within the marine park, not the national park or whatever and you guessed it - no pets allowed, except on boats.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:16   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Another thing to consider is that the Marine Park begins at the High Tide mark..
No it doesnt! It includes the intertiadal area.

Quote:
No pets are allowed on national park islands. In addition, in the Whitsunday Islands National Park, dogs are not permitted on any beach, even intertidal areas
Dogs dig up turtle eggs and thats an extreme environmental concern!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turtle1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	55594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	55595  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 03:40   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No it doesnt! It includes the intertiadal area.

Dogs dig up turtle eggs and thats an extreme environmental concern!
My bad I thought intertidal areas were below the high tide mark
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 04:29   #8

Boat: boat less ATM

Quote:
No it doesnt! It includes the intertiadal area.Dogs dig up turtle eggs and thats an extreme environmental concern!
WRONG dogs do not dig up turtle eggs (if they have responsible owners.) I have taken a dog through that area and you will find that there are lots of dog prints on those beaches every morning. please note that my dog was not responsible for any of them.

I would note that I saw DOZENS of turtle shells and live turtles asphyxiating and dehydrating on their backs at Cape Flattery north of cairns thanks to our original inhabitants who are free to catch them using "traditional' methods aka rifles and outboards. I witnessed two turtles left to die on the beach when the "locals' decided to head back to town after camping at the beach. I spent days cleaning the beach of rubbish after they left. So much for respecting "country"

I complained to Cooktown National Parks about the inhumane killing of turtles and dugongs and got NOTHING in reply.

This problem is in the too hard basket for our nanny state. One rule for black fellas and another for whites.

Too easy to fine law abiding sailors hundreds of dollars for dragging a trolling line in fishing restricted waters. "Restricted" only if you are not aboriginal.

Another reason I left Australia and will never return.

BTW Don't criticise me until you sail through that area and experience the way Hopevale aborigines do not look after "country" and the sea creatures that live there.

Don't preach to me about national parks and their regs when they only apply to law abiding Balandas.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 14:15   #9

People do cruise the area with dogs, and the responsible owners don't cause any problems. But it IS illegal to take a dog (or cat) ashore in a national park, and the fines are BIG.

There are also people who WILL "dob you in" and take photo's to prove it.

Unfortunately there's no easy answer. You can toilet train your dog for onboard, but the dog will still want to get ashore at times, and there aren't many opportunities in the Whitsundays.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 23:23   #10

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:

Plus there is a veritable boom in different Nanny State police agencies with boats there inspecting you. We were boarded more times in the Whitsundays than the rest of the world combined!

Leave puppy at home.
That's interesting, what on earth did they keep boarding you for?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 00:04   #11

Doesn't matter how often you get boarded anyway. Although it's never happened to us. (except when we cleared back into Aus)

It's perfectly legal to have a dog on board. It's only illegal to take it ashore in a national park.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote