Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 13:13   #16
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: WIDE BAY BAR (QLD)

We crossed WBB (this year) in June heading north and September heading south, on both crossings using the (now seemingly outdated) WP's 1,2 & 3. Conditions for both crossings were fairly benign (Force 3, flood tides) altho northbound we were at the end of a fairly long and strong southerly so the waves were slowly dropping from 3M. We observed nothing troubling in both crossings, but of course that was a while ago and the conditions were OK.

We will not cross WBB at night.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 18:59   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, Wrong, we have. Sometimes you luck out and get enough south east in the wind to keep your stern to the refracted waves, but it's really yucky (imo) when we lie beam-to. One time, put out a stern hook and that worked quite well. Bow, stern or even the quarters, and she'll sit steady and rise up and down, but beam-to is horrid.
Old 29-12-2014, 09:00   #18

I have just observed that my Navionics charts for iPad have been amended by a user with the new Way Points A & B entered and can see the patch of shallow due west of WP A that is mentioned by the OP.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:43   #19

I've only anchored there a couple of times, but have always found it to be quite comfortable.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
I have just observed that my Navionics charts for iPad have been amended by a user with the new Way Points A & B entered and can see the patch of shallow due west of WP A that is mentioned by the OP.
Bear in mind that it's pretty much all sand there, and subject to change.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 20:12   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

We will not cross WBB at night.
Neither would I

Without making any judgement on the changing nature of navigation, I find it interesting to reflect of the different approaches as highlighted in this thread.

I have only crossed this bar a handful of times and it was all pre-GPS.

The standard procedure (as I recall) was to time your in-bound crossing so that the neap tide was at about half flood ideally around 10 am, certainly never after midday. If any later, the outside leads could not be sighted from ocean-side due to sea haze etc. If necessary, anchor under the lee of Double Island Point (very very rolly as posted by others) until the above conditions were met. Southerly winds less than 20 Kts were best.

Get the latest info from VMR (Tin Can Bay) which really consisted of "current channel a bit "xyz" of the leads or depth is now "abc".

After that, you were on your own, stay right between the left and right breaking waves either side of you, keep yourself positioned with relation to the peaks and troughs (not all that easy) and when the worst was behind you, turn to port to pick up the inner leads. This bit was sometimes tricky! Anchor up as soon as you were inside and crack a beer in celebration of (another) safe entry or to calm the nerves if the weather was up.

No waypoints, no accurate positions, just eyeball the water, the leads and do the best you can. Sometimes for me it wasn't worth the risk and one would push on up the outside of Fraser Island.

If VMR Tin Can Bay suggested the bar was closed, you (or at least I) didn't argue; they always knew more about it than me. They would not be too happy to rescue someone who came to grief after being advised the bar was "closed".

However AFAIK, Factor is right, they can't "close" the bar in a legal sense. Only a Harbour Master can do that and AFAIK, the Wide Bay Bar is not in the confines the Tin Can Bay Port or any other official port.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 08:28   #22

Having crossed the bar at least yearly since the mid 90's, I'd have to say that the first in bound lead situated on southern Fraser Island is and remains very hard to see, more so the further out you are. It's no better at night with the light being in distinct. I've never been able to use it to start my run in. Once halfway and in the "drop zone", you can generally pick it up well enought. The second set of leads on northern Raibow Beach just south of Inskip Point are clearly visible day and night. At night they are bright blue lights. The key is the timing of the turn and this news about the relevant waypoint B is of concern especially if visibility is an issue. All the statements about tide, swell and time of day for visibility sake are very valid.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 13:03   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Neither would I

Without making any judgement on the changing nature of navigation, I find it interesting to reflect of the different approaches as highlighted in this thread.

I have only crossed this bar a handful of times and it was all pre-GPS.

The standard procedure (as I recall) was to time your in-bound crossing so that the neap tide was at about half flood ideally around 10 am, certainly never after midday. If any later, the outside leads could not be sighted from ocean-side due to sea haze etc. If necessary, anchor under the lee of Double Island Point (very very rolly as posted by others) until the above conditions were met. Southerly winds less than 20 Kts were best.

Get the latest info from VMR (Tin Can Bay) which really consisted of "current channel a bit "xyz" of the leads or depth is now "abc".

After that, you were on your own, stay right between the left and right breaking waves either side of you, keep yourself positioned with relation to the peaks and troughs (not all that easy) and when the worst was behind you, turn to port to pick up the inner leads. This bit was sometimes tricky! Anchor up as soon as you were inside and crack a beer in celebration of (another) safe entry or to calm the nerves if the weather was up.

No waypoints, no accurate positions, just eyeball the water, the leads and do the best you can. Sometimes for me it wasn't worth the risk and one would push on up the outside of Fraser Island.

If VMR Tin Can Bay suggested the bar was closed, you (or at least I) didn't argue; they always knew more about it than me. They would not be too happy to rescue someone who came to grief after being advised the bar was "closed".

However AFAIK, Factor is right, they can't "close" the bar in a legal sense. Only a Harbour Master can do that and AFAIK, the Wide Bay Bar is not in the confines the Tin Can Bay Port or any other official port.
Great post, Wottie,

As a friend of ours used to say, "eyeballs are for navigation" compared to charts, which are for dreaming. But your method above for crossing the bar is still valid if there's enough sea running for the "magic mile" to be breaking.

IMO, you need the sun high enough to be able to perceive depths, and you need to be near the top of the tide if you draw 2.2 m., like we do.

It is a shame that so many of us depend on the electronics to the exclusion of tried and true wisdom.

Ann