Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27   #31
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
So, we close the door on that issue as well in this thread. Simple solution. Way too much other information to discuss.
Excuse me? Someone posts an example of one of our worst fears, and you would like to cease all discussion about what they might have done differently to avoid the situation? What kind of disscussion are you looking for?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 20:39   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And practice, practice, practice as many heavy weather techniques as you can.

Yes, I know this is often very difficult and you just have to do the best you can.

I know from experience that when sailing home and the wind pipes up to say 30+ kts, the crew is looking towards the bar only a hour or so away, the last thing I want to do is some heavy weather exercise like setting the trisail or some such. Or the rare times that I have been on the water at say 35 to 40 kts, I just don't want to spend an hour or so hove to trying out a para anchor but this is really the best way to learn to be more stormproof.

At least they are safe and perhaps we can learn something from their experiences.
I am of the same mind. We get lot's of sunny breezy days here (lucky us) but when it starts to kick up and thunderstorm is coming I like to be out.

You can learn a whole lot. Thursday we were out and had a great run to the Malaysian coast. As we turned I could see a thunderstorm had been building behind us. I sorta had my eye on it already but knew it would get sporty coming back.

We went from a broad reach out to close hauled back. With only 3 on board I knew we would be overpowered. I suggested furling the genny in to 100% and my friend said, "seems alright for a bit" - I overruled and it turned out to be a good plan.

5 minutes later I could see continuous white caps and so declared to reef the main. We still were getting +5.5 kts boat speed.

We skirted the thunderstorm but it was sucking in huge amounts of air.

After the sail my friend said it was the first time he had actually had to reef in Singapore and that I had made the right call (blush, blush). I appreciated his comment tremendously.

He's a good friend and has taken my boat out on his own a few times. He learned the "signs" that I use to start shortening sail which admittedly is different for each boat and crew weight. We were really light on bodies to put on the rail.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 21:00   #33
Kai Nui

jzk, I may have misunderstood your post. I certainly agree that discussion about what could have been done differntly, as well as what was done wrong is productive. Just do not want this to turn into a list of speculative critisizms about facts that we do not have. I apologize if my post was not clear, or was based on a misunderstanding of your post.
Old 10-08-2008, 21:04   #34

So, can anyone tell me more about how the sea parachute works and how to deploy it properly without getting really into trouble?? I've always heard that they really keep the boat pointing in the right direction and keep sit pretty steady compared to the outside conditions.. Is this right??
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 21:21   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
So, can anyone tell me more about how the sea parachute works and how to deploy it properly without getting really into trouble?? I've always heard that they really keep the boat pointing in the right direction and keep sit pretty steady compared to the outside conditions.. Is this right??
Great question -

The link below leads to one of our more comprehensive threads on storm tactics. It might be useful.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ctics-996.html

If you have further questions you might consider starting a new topic.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 21:43   #36

nice stuff, thanks EX
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:05   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
nice stuff, thanks EX

You might check this out.

KatieKat ParaAnchor Index
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:55   #38

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Well, I have been around here for several years now. I do not post often but perfer to read and learn.

I am somewhat confused about the need to sensor threads, which in the minds of some become and somewhat heated and controversial. It reminds me of way back in my childhood. The grownups would say "Just Because I Said So"

That was suppose to end it, but it never did. Too much of that breeds contempt, which I'm sure you can detect from this post. Too many rules spoil anything.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:47   #39

Boat: Bayfield 29
This is real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Whenever you go to sea you take a risk…that has nothing to do with insurance.

Whenever you insure your boat you take a risk…. that the insurance company will honour their commitment instead of deeming you negligent.

A sailor’s freedom is in being allowed to manage their own risks, accept the consequences and not be criticised by other sailors who don’t know the details.
Love this, this is real life...we are responsable and should take our life resposabilities.
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:53   #40
Kai Nui

orion1, no censorship going on here. If people want to discuss the benefits and draw backs of cruising without insurance, there are a number of threads that are already going on that topic. It is not germane to this issue.
Judgments about the people involved in this incident are also not productive. Conclusions about their actions are absolutely welcome.
In order to keep this forum a place where people want to come and talk about their experience, and learn from the experience of others, there have to be rules, and they have to be enforced. Keeping a discussion on how not to end up getting injured, or losing your boat, will be far more beneficial than discussing whether or not to buy insurance, relative to this thread, as that particular issue has been discussed repeatedly, and still has an accessible discussion going on.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58   #41
Kai Nui

Francois, and Pelagic, I agree completely. Self sufficiency, self reliance, and self accountability are key elements to cruising.
There is some question here about this crew's self sufficiency. I am still curious why they chose to both leave the boat.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:56   #42

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Sorry, I mispelled censor!
Old 11-08-2008, 15:57   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
If you don't have the money to insure your boat, you shouldn't go out or... buy a smaller boat. It's not worth it.
********. It would have cost me more to insure my first boat that it cost to replace her. As a singlehander I would never have been sold insurance. Saying I should never have gone cruising is totally elitist ********.I have never been able to insure a boat, yet have crossed the pacific singlehanded 9 times and cruised 11 months a year since my mid 20's .
The only insurance claim I ever made was health insurance from Travel Underwriters , Worldwide Mediclaim .They simply refused to pay because I didn't have a credit card for them to put my expenses on and force me to go to court to get reimbursed.Others have had bad experiences with them. Thus I have no faith whatever in the promises made by insurance companies.
Best to avoid spending that much on a boat in the first place. Leave your vanity behind whern you go cruising.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:06   #44

Owners of Illusion

Thanks for the many kind and supportive comments. As far as the insurance issues go in the event of having to electively abandon your vessel it is extremely doubtful that any insurance company would pay up. We made a decision to only have third party insurance - like all things in life you have to deal with the consequences of your decisions and we are - devastated of course but hopeful that Illusion will be located and retrieved - there are some great people out there looking for her. Ann and Chris
Chris and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18   #45
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Chris and Ann,

We welcome your presence here! And we send you our good wishes, and condolences on the, hopefully temporary, loss of your boat.

If you feel like sharing any details regarding the incident that precipitated your evacuation, we would appreciate reading them, in the spirit of learning from real-life experience at sea.

All the best,

Hud