Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2008, 23:45   #61

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
I've been away a while on this topic, also to watch how it would develop without getting more involved. Now that the outcome is there and the yacht has been lost a few things to my first post and all the reactions here, especially Kai Nu.
First it has never been an issue from anyone in this forum that they wish the owners Chris and Ann the best and more than that. No one feels any different and assumptions in that respect are simply unjust and disrespectful.
Second, from the beginnig it was clear that the yacht was uninsured and thus makes it part of the topic wheter it is nice or not. Yes, my comment was harsh when I read it again but relevant and you Kai Nu, acting as a schoolteacher were wrong to ban the topic, surely with the outcome now. Now it surely is relevant.
Third the decission to abondon ship can only be assest by the crew on board, and judging from the story Ann made the only possible decision, get rescued.
Her story says it all. She was well prepared, met very bad fortune, did the right thing and yes.... she lost the boat.
We wish her well, as her husband and hope that she is not to devestated to see our point of view. I simply cannot affort the loss of my yacht, the reason why I still have full cover insurance. And that does not take anything away of the grieve for these two sailors. It may for those who make up their mind next time when they travel long ways and stand for the decision wheter to do or not narrow their overall risks.
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 01:25   #62

Quote:
I hope that your injuries are temporary, you get your boat back, and enjoy many years of cruising in the future.
I look forward to meeting you on the water.

sincerely.

To all those with questions..they are brave enough to have turned up here on line. I suggest that you politely ask your questions, with the due respect of someone who wasn't there and does not have to suffer the consequences.
I quote myself. Sorry about the boat.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 04:30   #63

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
I'm with you on this Cooper,
see you out there next year, the new rig & re-sprayed mast go back on next week.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 05:17   #64

Cool Glenn !! will see you out there ....negotiating the work on my mast now ( the stuff I cant do) boat goes in Christmas (or hopefully a bit before.) All other systems are GO... : ) : ) : )
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 06:59   #65

Boat: None yet!
Ann,

I may be a newbie to this forum, but I would like to add my commendation to your bravery in coming here. I also greatly appreciate your sharing of your story. I know I would like to have some idea of "worst case" scenarios before I make the leap into the cruising life and buy a boat. Of course, that is not ALL I want to hear -- otherwise I might never do it!

It's been awhile since I read the entire thread up to this point, but it is easy to criticize before you know all the facts, especially when you are anonymous! I think there has also been a lot of support for you and your husband as well.

I'm sad to hear your boat is lost. I am very glad to hear your husband is on the mend and that it seems that he will be okay. From the sounds of it, he and you might have lost your lives. You definitely made the right decision, in my humble opinion as a human being (not as a sailor).

P.S. -- I have gone back and reread the entire thread. I don't know if any posts were deleted by moderators, but all-in-all, the majority of posts are supportive. There may be some general criticisms, but I don't think anyone meant to attack Ann and Chris. I still think this is a great forum!
LifeArtist is offline   Reply With Quote