Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 14:45   #1

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Coastal cruising in India

Realized I haven't ever seen a thread along these lines, which makes me wonder if it is ever done.

Seems to me that there are hundreds of miles of coastline and you'd think that one of the legacies of the Raj might be yacht clubs and sailors.

So, comments? Information?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 15:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Coastal cruising in India

had friends that recently stopped in mumbai yacht club and cochin,also others in panjim goa,though lots of check in and out hassels at every port,see

SailEvent - Segla med S/Y Jennifer

and
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...!/lars.hassler
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 15:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

cochin marina,kerala,india,somebody forgot to cut the grass!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44905_10150265543950391_836530390_14846205_7145610_nlars.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	35170  
Old 27-12-2011, 15:19   #4

This might be of interest: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dge-60549.html
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 15:22   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
cochin marina,kerala,india,somebody forgot to cut the grass!!!!

Having spent quite a bit of time in India, that carpet of grass gives me the willies. Looks like a highway for vermin to board your boat! But I hope it becomes easier to cruise there, as I've always wanted to do it. Perhaps by the time we make it over that way things will have changed for the better...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 15:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Having spent quite a bit of time in India, that carpet of grass gives me the willies. Looks like a highway for vermin to board your boat! But I hope it becomes easier to cruise there, as I've always wanted to do it. Perhaps by the time we make it over that way things will have changed for the better...
and sri lanka! one of the problems over there is the monsoon's that blow
like hell,plus there are few places to anchor apart from the few natural harbours,that are mostly shallow or cluttered with weed ,fish traps or local craft......not the best place for a white yacht!
Old 27-12-2011, 15:38   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
and sri lanka! one of the problems over there is the monsoon's that blow
like hell,plus there are few places to anchor apart from the few natural harbours,that are mostly shallow or cluttered with weed ,fish traps or local craft......not the best place for a white yacht!

Keeping your hull clean would definitely be a lost cause in those waters. Seems like one could minimize the effects of the monsoon by staying on whichever side of the sub-continent is presently to leeward. But the red tape and corruption and lack of anchorages would be a problem. Perhaps if you cruised with a local with marine knowledge it would help, ie he might know who's palm needs to be crossed at any given time, and for how much, and where the safe anchorages are. It would be a hell of a trip. Could be assisted by a trip by air in advance to pave the way...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 15:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Keeping your hull clean would definitely be a lost cause in those waters. Seems like one could minimize the effects of the monsoon by staying on whichever side of the sub-continent is presently to leeward. But the red tape and corruption and lack of anchorages would be a problem. Perhaps if you cruised with a local with marine knowledge it would help, ie he might know who's palm needs to be crossed at any given time, and for how much, and where the safe anchorages are. It would be a hell of a trip. Could be assisted by a trip by air in advance to pave the way...
michel palin did a great documentary on the indian trading schooners that ply the coast in the series he made "around the world in 80 days"

my best advice would be to pack a light bag,hang out in the docks in bombay and get a ride on one of these vessels!!!
Old 17-05-2012, 23:24   #9

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We stayed one month in Cochin in early 2011. Dead dog floats by one direction in the morning tide and floats by the other direction in the later tide. Once the intestines of some large animal floated back and forth. These were the identifiable things that floated by. It takes usually 3 days of the same item floating back and forth in the tides before that item quits showing up in the same place. The water is as thick as a milkshake with oily whatever.

Our saying to each other became: Dead dog in the morning and dead dog in the afternoon. Typical day in India.

But the people were very nice.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Waking up an old thread - we're off over the Ocean to India (Insh'allah) in a few months, and there's sweet FA on the internet. I guess cos there are sweet FA yachts there.

Anyone recently had experience with entering India?

Apparently there is now a ban on vessels over twenty years old, which would rule us out for starters.... but I only saw this once in an online article, didn't save it, and can't verify this.

And the dogs... what about the dogs?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Waking up an old thread - we're off over the Ocean to India (Insh'allah) in a few months, and there's sweet FA on the internet. I guess cos there are sweet FA yachts there.

Apparently there is now a ban on vessels over twenty years old, which would rule us out for starters.... but I only saw this once in an online article, didn't save it, and can't verify this.

Have a dig through this blog...

The Complete Guide For Liveaboards In South India | Follow The Boat
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57   #12

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:

There is a "Yachting Association of India" that claims some 55 affiliated clubs which you can get from their website on YAI - Affiliated Sailing Clubs.
From a quick look around it seems to be mostly for sports sailing, especially small boats rather than providing services for cruisers.
I imagine tho' if you contact them they would provide you with informal information and advice.
The only location where I believe there is a strong cruising tradition is the Nicobar and Andaman Islands.
However expect a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork. I once asked an official why India had so much paperwork and he looked me straight in the face and said "everyone has to have a job".
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46   #13
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Thanks for the information! So far, the only Marina I can find is Cochin, and I can't find any info on good anchorages (if there are any), or what the holding is like...

Anyone?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the information! So far, the only Marina I can find is Cochin, and I can't find any info on good anchorages (if there are any), or what the holding is like...

Anyone?
panjim goa,there are also a couple of river enterances but may be draft restricted,and only suitable in ne monsoon.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=pan...ie=UTF-8&hl=en
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29   #15

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Google Dona Paula (Goa) and check out the images of an anchorage opposite the beach

Dona Paula is a former village, and tourist destination, in the suburbs of Panaji, Goa, India. It is today home to the National Institute of Oceanography, and just alongside it lie the Goa University and the International Centre Goa. (from Wikipedia)

Google maps ref http://goo.gl/maps/eTIj9

Tags
cruising, India