Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 03:29   #16

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Current Situation With Piracy -- Horn of Africa

Dockhead, I wonder if attacks on cruising boats are down simply because so few cruising boats are attempting the route these days. It would be interesting to know just how many boats do the route each year (especially over the last years). I know that attacks on commercial shipping are down, but perhaps it's also due to the measures ships have taken to protect themselves (and the military presence to protect shipping, of course).
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 03:41   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Current Situation With Piracy -- Horn of Africa

Its always been my impression that a circumnavigation involved rounding the 5 great capes.. not avoiding them all.
Seems very few who claim the 'achievement' tackle any these days, and that single 'one' is thanks to piracy.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 03:47   #18
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Got all the up to date info here:

https://www.asket.co.uk/news-intelligence
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 03:49   #19

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaledAlSalaam View Post
Are they planning to visit Oman by chance? A visit should be included in any circumnavigation in my opinion

There is currently one cruiser here in Muscat who is contemplating to either sail or transport. Currently transporting is only possible from Dubai to Genoa. But one of the things we were discussing the other day is to try set up a system where boats can be transported from Salalah to, for example, Sharm al Sheikh or maybe Port Said.

Recently I was told various cruisers did crossed thru the Red Sea successfully and that most piracy has shifted to Africa's west coast but thats all hear-say on my part.

However please feel very welcome to visit Oman where you will only be greeted by friendly fisherman!

We loved visiting Oman stopping in Salalah on our trip up the Red Sea. We also visited Oman in our Landrover Defender when I worked in Arabia. Driving in the fjords of Musandam are unforgettable. My good friend, Mark Evans, is the head of Outward Bound in Muscat and the Shargiya Sands center. Oman is awesome.

Here is a you tube video of us in Oman. The same page has five videos of sailing up the Red Sea.

https://youtu.be/CylbiJ2WFZE
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 03:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Check UKMTO Weekly Report 17 - 23 Feb 2018, thats the Noonsite one you found, interesting conclusion they made about the attempt....
I didn't know we're supposed to throw coins at an airplane before boarding for good luck

A few years ago I negotiated with a Maersk agent to ship a 50ft motorboat from Jebel Ali (UAE) to the Red Sea (Saudi) for $10,000. I calculated that would be less cost than the fuel, airline tickets and such I would have incurred.

It might even be cheaper if you started from Salalah. Check around.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:01   #21

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Even though the current state of affairs offers an improvement on the past, I doubt that any passage through the Gulf of Aden would be pleasant. Speaking for myself, I would be under a constant state of stress, worried about the safety of myself and crew due to factors that are entirely out of my control. I would much rather confront the challenges of sailing around the Cape of Good Hope than the prospect of becoming a hostage.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:18   #22

Boat: Luffe 45

I’ve been sailed up a year ago from Richards Bay to Suez ... At least I didn’t recognize any signs of piracy and arrived save in Suez. Check out www.lifgun.com for more information
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:52   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

When we were faced with this decision the Red Sea route was decidedly not a good idea so we went to South Africa. Loved the places that this route allowed us to visit - South Africa for the game parks and history, Namibia, and St Helena. This part of our rtw was a highlight for sure. The bit from Mauritius to Richards Bay is not to be taken lightly but the steps along the SA coast were easy and pleasant as long as you pay attention to the weather forecasts. Also, the trip from Cocos-Keeling to Mauritius was the best sailing of my life. One vote for the South Africa route.
Old 22-04-2019, 05:00   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Request Piracy & Armed Robbery Report
The IMB offers the latest Quarterly and Annual Reports for free. Please fill in the form below to receive your free copies.
https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...-piracy-report

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 05:54   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Dockhead, I wonder if attacks on cruising boats are down simply because so few cruising boats are attempting the route these days. It would be interesting to know just how many boats do the route each year (especially over the last years). I know that attacks on commercial shipping are down, but perhaps it's also due to the measures ships have taken to protect themselves (and the military presence to protect shipping, of course).

Indeed, that's an important question, and why I asked not only how many attacks are happening, but also whether a lot of boats are going through.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 06:02   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifgun View Post
I’ve been sailed up a year ago from Richards Bay to Suez ... At least I didn’t recognize any signs of piracy and arrived save in Suez. Check out www.lifgun.com for more information

Thanks -- good data point for my friends.

Finally arrived in Suez — Lifgun

I'd like to see those places. I believe I would have stopped in Djibouti though.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 12:15   #27

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hi all,

We're the friends Dockhead is speaking of - since we are currently in Polynesia, this decision doesn't need to be made for another two years, we still need to sail to New Zealand and Australia.

ON our blog, svcapri.com I described the various options as we see them, pacific loop, round Cape Hope and round Cape Horn and shipping the boat from thailand.

certainly purists will say we didn't circumnavigate - and so what? the purpose of this 7-8 year sailing sojourn is to have fun, see exotic places and arrive SAFELY back in Denmark at some point.
There are many, many fantastic places to see where there is no piracy problem - so why go looking for that type of danger?

Personally I would love to do the pacific loop - it would be a true adventure, but adding 3 more years to the 8 already planned probably just isn't in the works.

But I can assure you - unless the armed forces in the gulf of Aden proclaim that there is no danger of piracy - then we will not sail through there

carsten & vinni

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 13:04   #28

Boat: Outbound 44

Another recent report
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190422-130219.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	190607  
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 14:30   #29

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You are a great ambassador for your country!

A good friend of mine lived in Oman for 2 years in the '90s, and loved it, and told a lot of fascinating stories. Those of us who have never been there tend to think of the Gulf region as a homogeneous place with baking hot sand and camels and not much else but a few palm trees. But this is obviously not true, and Oman is obvious quite different in geography and even culture.

Definitely on my list of places to visit and see for myself.

A friend of mine, who happens to be Chinese-Canadian in her 30s, travelled to Oman and found it fascinating. I believe she wore a headscarf in deference to local custom, but she had zero problems with the locals and really enjoyed her trip.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 15:10   #30

Boat: Columbia 8.7

The military agency that handles this issue reports a decrease in attacks from 176 in 2011 to two (2) last year, neither of which was successful. Table at the bottom of the page: https://eunavfor.eu
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, current, piracy