Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 13:10   #1

Difficult Entry Lagoon Marina - Phuket, Thailand

The entry to boat Lagoon Marina in Phuket is known to be difficult but be aware that despite "assistance" from the marina we ran aground on a 2.4M tide. It appears that the first corner has a depth of approx 1.8M on a tide of this height-luckily it is soft mud-. some local sailors indicate that entry on high tides below 3M is risky for a draft of more than 2M. 3M tides occur for approximately a week every 28days.
bgrimwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 20:03   #2

The next good times for entry into the Lagoon are:-
From 10 am 28th Feb until 2 pm on the 5th March 2010, when there are 3m (9ft 9in) tides.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 06:02   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Managed to go through the entrance last month on a 2.1 m tide, though I dragged the 1.98m keel and needed a handful of poke to get her moving. They have pilots available, but of questionable ability. Still, one helped me. Are you there now Laidback?
Old 14-03-2010, 07:31   #4

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
We are staying in one of the apartments overlooking the marina as we work on our boat on the hardstand. I am constantly amazed at how thin the water gets at low tide, particulary on full and new moons. Even the tour boats tilt their outboards on the way in and out. One would think they would put the dredge to more regular use, but logic does not always apply. I suspect the marina counts on sailors to keep the channel open with their keels. One of my fondest images is of watching a backhoe-on-a-barge make it's way up the channel and into the marina by walking itself in with the bucket.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 03:10   #5

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Ahoy, I went in and out three times, at around 1.9m tides with a 1.5M draft, spent a lot of time in reverse, and feeling my way along, not much antifoul left on the keel now, it was up to 300mm in the mud at times. I dived on her when we got out to check the mud marks!! Got stuck maybe 5 times going in and out, but she has a very powerful motor. Did not have to raise our sails like some did to heel the yacht off of the mud!! We had some assistance from fisherman passing by at 15 knots, their wake broke us free a few times, also gesticulations from keen onlookers!!!

The Marina said it was OK to move in/out both times, the last time I had it down pat, knew where to swing wide, didn't even touch! The boat handling facilities are first class, and the Marina staff very helpful, as was everyone there.

Back at Ao Charong now, a lot cooler, flaming hot at the boat lagoon!!! Off up North to the islands scuba diving in 3 days.

Keith.
Old 19-03-2010, 01:32   #6

Hi Mike

I'm launching on Monday. I am intending to move to RPM straight away as I don't want the keel in the mud. I am told that most berths are really shallow. Any information on this subject?
Old 19-03-2010, 03:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Hi Mike

I'm launching on Monday. I am intending to move to RPM straight away as I don't want the keel in the mud. I am told that most berths are really shallow. Any information on this subject?
I presume that you are launching on the the 22nd March -- the highest tides are between 1pm and 3 pm. 2.7,2.8,.2.7 metres.
Not understand the reference to berths ?? OR RPM ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tides Phuket March.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	13962  
Old 19-03-2010, 03:37   #8

HIGH Lighted Day and times :-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tides Phuket March 22.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	13965  
Old 19-03-2010, 03:56   #9

Hi Laidback

I have been told that most boats are stuck in the mud in Boat Lagoon at low tide. I would rather not put my new bottom job straight into the mud, which is why I am considering going to RPM. I have arranged for the boat to go in at 11 and to be moved at 1pm when the tide is well on the way up. Thanks for the table nonetheless. I get my reference from the Phuket Town port in Total Tide, do you have the corrections to appy for Boat Lagoon? I am away so I have to trust other people doing the job, but I still have to direct it from afar....

Cheers!
Old 19-03-2010, 04:10   #10

20 minutes later - again the question what is RPM ( is this the Royal Phuket Marina ?)
Does going there help in any way ? Where many boats go aground is at Mangrove corner.
Old 19-03-2010, 04:19   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Errrrrr, probably not neccessary to say - but thought I would throw in for any readers not based in tidal areas..........

Just because a tide table gives a height it does not mean that this depth is available everywhere in the area, nor even everywhere at the named port! Certainly also does not refer to water under the keel being available exactly where you want it!

Locally today we have 10 metre / 34 foot tides (mid sized for here)........I will be afloat for only a couple of hours (am on a working berth) - next week with an 8 metre / 27 foot tide (small for here) not only won't I float but the tide won't even reach her!

Tide times » Lifestyle » This Is Jersey

In the harbour entrance their is a depth guage on the port side - the bottom 3 feet is covered with sand

You need local knowledge to run aground in the harbour entrance - using the "deep" side of the channel and where twice a day you can see what the entrance is like Not the first time, am sure won't be the last

Never been to Phuket Marina (but been in the area on land) I would expect that with their rainfall and run off into the sea silting the entrance up that often during the year simply pointless dredging and that the entrance channel itself and the levels will move around a bit - with the local knowledge being that it is ok to try, not a guarantee of success........after all, the locals don't have x-ray specs
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 05:33   #12

The Channel to the Boat Lagoon is continually being silted up from run off from existing slimes dams - these run alongside the channel (they are the result of tin mining - now abandoned) So in addition to slimes dam silting, flood tides at springs bring in vast quantities of mud and sand. The marinas do engage local dredgers on a fairly ad hok basis, However, it is apparent that they need to bring in the big boys - as they did many years ago when they had a Dutch company that came in did a thorough job.
Old 19-03-2010, 05:45   #13

Hi Laidback

Thanks for the corrections info. RPM is Royal Phuket Marina. The reason for moving is that their berths are reported to have deeper waters and I would not be sitting on the bottom, which is something I do not like doing. I touched the bottom on the way in on the last stretch, by the fishermen's houses. That was the only place. I am not taking in any water or fuel for the way out to stay light; I hope will be on or around the 4th of April with the tide around 2.7m.

Just for amusement, my mania about not touching comes from experience when I was a second mate on tankers (more years ago than I care to say). We used to go up a very muddy river having alighted from 34" to 27" (they were 48,000 tonners) and at nearly 200m long you could see the whole thing flexing from the bridge and the skippers visibly going white as their hearts stopped every time we touched. We always had a pilot on board but due to the changing nature of the canals this happened quite often. We were never caught out on my watch, or my company for that matter, but it was always a distinct possibility. Since then, no matter how good the tables are or how skilled the pilots, I just want ten metres under my keel!

Cheers all.
Old 19-03-2010, 06:18   #14

Boat Lagoon

Hi Again, just to illustrate the channel here is Google Earth snap shot from space to which I have added some info regarding the reasons for the silting. what is not appreciated is that the "workable" channel can be as narrow as 20ft. The only good thing about going aground (if that occurs) is the bottom is soft mud. The Boat Lagoon will send out a pilot launch if asked in advance - they will guide boats with drafts over 2 metres. A long time ago I piloted SV Storm Vogel into the lagoon so that they could lift her for hull repairs, she was over 4 metres in draft
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Channel to Boat Lagoon.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	13967  
Old 19-03-2010, 06:56   #15

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
Phuket Marinas

There are problems finding and staying in the channel to RPM and Boat Lagoon and both marinas offer pilots going and coming. We went into RPM first and paid for three days at $48.80 US per day plus Electric and water for a 48' boat. After visiting Boat Lagoon by foot and finding the price to be $34.00 a day and many more facilities and boat supply stores, we decided to move the boat the short distance over there. I declined a pilot and plowed all the way to the marina with a six foot draft. At certain times I was in the mud so deep I could not turn the rudder. We were guided to a berth and at low tide the next day I measured the depth beside the boat at 4.5 feet. Standing on the dock I could not push on the boat hard enough to move it.
There must have been twenty-five tour boats there with three 250 horse outboards on them. In spite of signs limiting the speed in the channel to five knots, several passed us full of tourist while up on plane. This stirs up a tremendous amount of silt and sand and the current from the rising tide brings it into the marina. The result for me was my plastic aircon circulating pump wore out in the ten days we were there.
It is a shame because of the nice atmosphere and many boat services available at Boat Lagoon but I won't be going back in that mess again.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Thailand