Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 17:24   #16

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Haul Out in Malysia or Thailand ?

A couple of comments on other posts:-
The commercial harbour option on Langkawi is no good for you. There isn't a crane large enough to lift you on the island. It would be possible but only if you bring over a crane specially or can ride piggyback on some other project requiring a suffiiently large crane to be brought to the island and you will have to go through the same rigmarole to re-launch.
Wavemaster, now Bousted Yachts, has the reputation, maybe not justified, of wanting your boat there and wanting your money but YOU are not welcome if you want to check ongoing work or do work yourself.
Batu Maung at the southern tip of Penang has a travel lift. I have used the yard three years ago and was happy, but I have heard that prices have now risen steeply.

At the end of the day, for haul out and relaunch and nothing else, one place is as good as another but if you need work, spares or skilled services, go to Thailand.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:06   #17

Boat: Prout 37

Ratanachai, very good, very professional, they know what they are doing. Recommended.
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:54   #18

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Mate, use rebak, if you want to store the yacht. a great yard and great eatery/pool/chandler/crew/manger/security.

Thailand, only 6 months for your boat and 1 month for you! Many problems re visas!

Malaysia, all good, boat can stay forever, you get 3 months on arrival, can be extended? No visa hassels!
Rebak has monkeys, still, big goannas, and termites, a real problem!
But very secure and long term rates are good.

I am using the "french yard" at asia-france marine, run by barry, near Kuah, but my yacht is only 39' and 11 tonnes, they can do great stainless and alloy work, but only use the local smallish crane. Getting a travel lift facility soonish?

Asia France Marine Ltd. (Co. No. LL 07133)

H/P: +6 017 4257 278
H/P: +6 012 6175 330
E-mail: afmboating@yahoo.com

Langkawi office:
Langkawi Port, Block A
Kompleks Dermaga Tanjung Lembung
07000 Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia

Fair winds from Keith................

Cheers from Keith.............
Old 21-03-2011, 06:52   #19

Boat: Freya 39

I have used Rebak, which is excellent for storage but not necessarily the best place for extensive refitting because of the remote location.
Teremoana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, Thailand