Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 04:26   #61
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I agree with him to stay off the coast of Yemen.
In one of the coastal provinces this last week Al Queda has done some assasination attempt and US forces have attacked there! And this is just the last few days, last Tuesday, wednesday.

Quote:

A combined force consisting of more than 1,500 Yemeni soldiers from counter-terrorism units, security foot soldiers and army infantry are tightening siege on around 300 al-Qaida fighters on Tuesday in Yemeni southern Hota town of Shabwa province, a provincial security official told Xinhua. "The back-up combined force arrived at the area Tuesday afternoon and were deployed around Hota, the third biggest town in the southeast of Shabwa provincial capital of Ataq, after a total of 20,000 local residents fled their home in the morning to dodge the imminent battle," said the official.
This is the province that some cruisers stop along the coast.

I now notice the reports of US involvement have been replaced with denials, but this is for atacks on the 23rd Sep, not the ones last week on 28th Sep... Maybe the news gets confusing! Orwell didn't think of how easy on-line editions can be altered, or confused.

No one denies the US is training Yeminis there...

Finally found the article. The words Trained had been added and a quote from an official confirming 'US Forces' involvement deleted
"100 Al Qaeda fighters were cornered by American-trained anti-terror forces"
http://www.yobserver.com/front-page/10019771.html

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:33   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
However, some (of lesser wit and grey matter) may read your comments here and use them to justify why they should go.
This thread argument like many can get circular. Never did I suggest you should go unprepared and in fact , even though I am completely against firearms on board, its one area that might justify it.

What I wsa saying is that it can and is safely crossed, quoting the Chandlers is rather meaningless, rather like saying that the two people that died on a ARC crossing means that the ARC is dangerous.

Many boats ( and I have spoken to several) have taken appropriate precuations and safetly transisted the Red Sea/Suez.

Theres always a danger that the herd instinct takes over. Equally people bindly and glibly suggesting the Cap passage ( An area where I have sailed), are sugggesting a quite tricky and "not for the faint hearted" route. Not to mention the huge inconvience of trying to get up to the Med from SA. Great it you want to visit Brazil.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Drascombe Lugger 18.5 ft Delphine
Send a message via ICQ to IslandBorn
We carried an antique shot gun we purchased in Greece, and got it ready a couple of times in the Red Sea when we were shadowed by a sinister feeling vessel. Probably most trouble makers would be scared off, but if you misjudge a situation people are capable of getting serious, and things could escalate. Saw this in Djibouti when a Frenchman fired a shot gun over the heads of some people messing with tenders tied up at the wharf. The next day all our boats were rammed together with anchors pulled when several large dhows plowed across our anchor wharps at full speed. While out at sea we were careful to keep women concealed especially never on deck in bikinis or even shorts. I would prefer go armed so that in an obvious emergency I would not be completely helpless, but then you take the chance of getting killed instead of robbed. Laying low is very important. Again I cruized for almost 6 years, 3 in Middle East and across the Arabia Sea and was never robbed or attacked. But heard plenty of stories of where to go and not to go. I get more nervous thinking about it than when I was there. Really believe as I said that worry and paranoia create insecurity. YOu have to be there, using your wits and intuition to navigate in every aspect a safe journey. Think it's always been that way. IslandBorn
Old 04-10-2010, 08:56   #64

Boat: Traditional 30
I remember hearing a story of a vessel that called a US war ship to inform that they were about to be attacked. As the yacht wasnt a US vessel, the US navy refused to assist.

The armchair solution, in this particular case, may have been for the vessel to actually "threaten" the US ship (how much damage can a 12m yacht do to a Destroyer you ask). The gun happy marines would have been in a RIB and boarding them in no time.

The idea being that once boarded by the marines (or whoever), the yachts skipper could abruptly appologise and hopefully the presence of the destroyer and guys in black may just scare off the bad guys.

Actually, this would give the captain of the Ship an obligation to investigate, thus absolving him of any political policies he previously had to comply with.

Hopefully, none of us will ever have to test the theory. I know I dont want to threaten a destroyer with a 12 meter yacht. What am I going to do? Chip the grey paint a bit as a launch the spinnaker pole at them?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:29   #65

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
"I know I dont want to threaten a destroyer with a 12 meter yacht. "

This does NOT sound like a good idea in the post-Cole era. Once you close to within 500 yards of the ship, you will definitely be getting attention.
Old 04-10-2010, 17:55   #66

Boat: Columbia 41
Pity the Pirates

I plan to be a pirate and take myself to sea,
For nothing pays near half as much as blatant piracy,
Now here I sit in my own cockpit with nearly naught to drink,
It's just past dawn and the gin is gone so I'll change my ways, I think,
The Somali coast where the sun can roast you brown as brown can be,
Is where the money comes and goes from small boat piracy,
No more will I try to just squeak by on but a pound or two,
When ransoms in the millions can be had by me and you,
Yes, it's ransoms in the millions and we never work again,
No more these nasty fishing nets for we the pirate men,
Oh, you may call us thieving, and you may call us vile,
But just be sure your bank can pay when we've had you for a while.
Yes, in that nasty little room where you're kept all neatly stowed,
It's hummus morning, noon and night, it's hummus over load.
So pity us the pirates, for we know not what we do,
The mullahs never told us not to be a thieving crew.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19   #67
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Pity the Pirates

Sam, did you write that? Its excellent!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

The armchair solution, in this particular case, may have been for the vessel to actually "threaten" the US ship (how much damage can a 12m yacht do to a Destroyer you ask). The gun happy marines would have been in a RIB and boarding them in no time.
RING-RING
"This is 911. What is your emergency"
"I heard a noise and I think there is a prowler in my yard who is going to try and break in."
"I am sorry sir. All of our squad cars are busy right now and it's not clear that there is a crime in progress. "

CLICK

RING-RING
"This is 911. What is your emergency."
"I just shot a man in my yard who I think is a prowler."

5 minutes later 3 squad cars and an ambulance arrive and the police catch a man at the window trying to jimmy the lock."

Policeman - "You said you shot the prowler."
Homeowner - "You said you didn't have any squad cars available."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:45   #69

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Over the weekend I heard a bar story...

It would appear that a large motor cruiser recently transited the Somalia Gulf and the Red Sea. Some distance off the coast they were approached by a skiff that circled around them twice and then headed off in the direction of a vessel they could see on Radar but not eyeball. A few hours later three skiffs approached at high speed. Two skiffs had four occupants and the third had five. The cruiser was fired on from two of the skiffs and they could see that one of the assailants had a RPG. When the three skiffs were about 100 yards off the yacht, the two ex marines 'security consultants' on board sank all three skiffs with machine guns that they'd mounted fore and aft.

Do I believe it? On balance it's probably true, knowing the owner of the yacht.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:39   #70

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Why dosen't someone run an overland Yacht haulier service from Kuwait to Jordan?

The pro's :It would totally bypass the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea , the Somali Pirates and the Suez Officials.

The cons: No Cape red
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:07   #71

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
how about camoflage? We all like to keep our boats pristine and clean, Perhaps making it look like an old scow would cause them to go after more choice targets? You would be surprised what sort of stains can be painted on the hull using an airbrush and acrylic paints. Once clear of the area, a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol will remove the mess. Steel boats, lots of rust streaks. Rags hanging from the lifelines, fake patches on the sails etc. It might be an additional defense.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 16:21   #72

Will you also carry a camoflaged passport? The object is to extort a ransom from your government to secure your freedom. The funds are paid through a middle man to the Somali pirates. The local government also takes a percentage to turn a blind eye. The condition of your boat is of no interest at all.
Old 05-10-2010, 16:38   #73
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
The object is to extort a ransom from your government to secure your freedom.
no it isnt, and the chandlers proved that. The object is to secure a nice fat juciy cargo freighther will $$$$ of cargo and ransom the crew to the insurance company..

Dave
Old 05-10-2010, 16:39   #74

Dave, in that case, go. Don't wait another day. Go. Go now. Pay no attention to me. I am a fool. Go now, Dave.
Old 05-10-2010, 16:50   #75
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Dave, in that case, go. Don't wait another day. Go. Go now. Pay no attention to me. I am a fool. Go now, Dave.
I may have to go there soon, but we'll see. Ive been in hairy situations before.

Dave