Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 14:44   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Idea to reduce Somali piracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Here's but one criticism of the UN...I could post or write a dozen more...but people believe what they want.

Wiki...

"Role of elite nations
There has been criticism that the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council (Russia, the United States, China, the United Kingdom, France), who are all nuclear powers, have created an exclusive nuclear club whose powers are unchecked. Unlike the General Assembly, the United Nations Security Council does not have true international representation. This has led to accusations that the UNSC only addresses the strategic interests and political motives of the permanent members, especially in humanitarian interventions: for example, protecting the oil-rich Kuwaitis in 1991 but poorly protecting resource-poor Rwandans in 1994.[1]"
You say that is written as a criticism - and it probably was written that way. I think it was quite accurate, but not a bad thing about the UN - it's just how the world is and still would be without the UN.

Quote:
No one in the US government (which I served 23 years in) that I ever talked to had any belief that the UN was anything more than a good old boys club.
Not entirely sure of the nuances for "a good old boys club" - but, I've phoned up the UN - and they asked me not to shoot you over it

Quote:
All permanent solutions have multiple layers...fixing the problem is different than preventing todays piracy. Basic law enforcement from the beginning of time has shown that cops on the beat and the inevitable probability of getting caught with punishment is what deters crime...not just the law or the "threat" of punishment. The "guaranteed" thought that a US SEAL team bullet will pass through your head is what will put the biggest and most immediate stop to piracy...everything else is just smoke and mirrors...of course giving every Somali about 5 million may work just as well and is probably cheaper in the long run than operating a carrier task force.
+1

I would add though not solely certainty of getting caught, but coupled with the certainty that getting caught will have a cost not worth paying vs the reward. Obviously not an approach for everybody, but for those there be spiritual education. "There is no god"- "Looksee..........."

In many circumstances being dead can really take the shine off yer day

FWIW a key part of my solution is to divide Somalia into 3 (Somaliland and Puntland I beleive are pretty functional - or at least enough to support into Nationhood). I call it self empowerment of the stake holders.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:58   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Idea to Reduce Somali Piracy ?

Quote:
Accordingly, pirates, and those who advocate kill on sight countermeasures, both exhibit signs of savagery and extremism.
They may not be right but they can at least do the very least that they know how. One step above nothing is whining. I dare anyone to do or say less with more determination. It is attitude at the end of the day!
Old 22-02-2011, 14:59   #33

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
The UN? Don't make me laugh. That bunch of hand wringing, wishy washy idiots couldn't come to a decision on Rwanda when the evidence of genocide was staring them in the face. Do you honestly think they will come up with an enforceable solution in our lifetime?
Wow! You mean there's two Canadians who haven't bought into the Pearson/Peacekeeping/UN BS propaganda?

I've been on UN missions, & it's no wonder to me none of them have ever accomplished anything. The closest they've ever come is a draw, in Korea, longest standing ceasefire in history. Every other mission has been a failure- Egypt, the Balkans (didn't turn around until NATO took over), Somalia, Rwanda, Cyprus (as Lewis MacKenzie said, even when peacekeeping works, it's a failure).

The most workable solution is to force a convoy system- vessels below a certain tonnage should be required to wait until they can be organized into a convoy. There's no other way to protect them with limited resources.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:07   #34

Quote:
I've been on UN missions, & it's no wonder to me none of them have ever accomplished anything.
It's the powder blue hats, that's all. It's hard to fear someone wearing a powder puff on their head. Now, if they were black with skulls and crossed bones, well then......!

Old 22-02-2011, 15:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What is your definition of "savage" or "extremist"?

I'd say savages is a valid claim. I just think they are no more savage then say...gang members in Detroit or drug cartels. I wouldn't agree that they are wild violent crazed beasts that should be shot from afar whenever something looking like one pokes it's head out.

When I think extremist, I imagine something like Glen Beck. Someone ruled by radical ideals not grounded in reality (maybe with a dollop of paranoia). As far as I can tell these pirates are pirating for profit and not for political or religious reasons.

(I also hate when people bring up the "oh 'those' people are crazy enough to blow themselves up..blah blah." If Christianity was spun so that good things might happen to those who "killed themselves for the cause" we'd have americans strapping bombs to their chest.)
Old 22-02-2011, 15:35   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

require all vessels in a 25 mile wide corridor to have an AIS. Check in prior to entering the corridor. Any vessel entering the corridor without an AIS is sunk.
Early on we can fire warning shots. ANYONE without the AIS is fair game.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:37   #37

Boat: Hirondelle Catamaran 23'

I meant "savage" in the nineteenth century sense. As in "brown people who are not quite as human as us white people."
By "extremist" I meant to differentiate between the billion or so Muslims who would probably not blow themselves up for any reason and the very few who would.
Also, I was referring to Somalis, not Somali pirates. In my mind, the particular crowd of pirates that took the Quest qualify as both savages and extremists.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:42   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Idea to Reduce Somali Piracy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I meant "savage" in the nineteenth century sense. As in "brown people who are not quite as human as us white people."
By "extremist" I meant to differentiate between the billion or so Muslims who would probably not blow themselves up for any reason and the very few who would.
Also, I was referring to Somalis, not Somali pirates. In my mind, the particular crowd of pirates that took the Quest qualify as both savages and extremists.
LOL.... where do you get the idea white is more human than brown.... we're all bloody savages under the skin...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 22-02-2011, 15:43   #39

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Reduce Piracy?
The New York City Police could do it easy enough;
NYPD Stopped 600,000 People in 2010 - Local News - New York, NY - msnbc.com
Old 22-02-2011, 15:50   #40

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
require all vessels in a 25 mile wide corridor to have an AIS. Check in prior to entering the corridor. Any vessel entering the corridor without an AIS is sunk.
Early on we can fire warning shots. ANYONE without the AIS is fair game.

Sure.

I lose my AIS because your cousin wired it wrong and you shoot me......

No....wait........you lose your AIS because your cousin wired it wrong and I shoot you.

Yea, thats better.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:51   #41

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Easy Cheesy-
The VERY FIRST SENTENCE READS:"I meant "savage" in the nineteenth century sense."
Old 22-02-2011, 15:53   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Idea to Reduce Somali Piracy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
Annnnnd wow. So to summarize. You think that all Somalis are less human than us white people? That is impressively racist. I suppose the only good thing is that your message is so foul and ignorant that even the uninformed and uneducated can recognize it as nonsense.
WHO's yowz calin unedicated an igmarunt.... eh... eh...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 22-02-2011, 15:54   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

The check in point at the beginning of the corridor is in part to verify you have a working AIS. Once you are in the corridor it would be easy to keep track of you. Other boats approaching from right angles to the corridor would be easy to differentiate. A boat that looses its AIS would get a flyover first to ID. it could be managed. Radio calls, etc can suppliment the situation. All similar to a VTS scheme in any major harbor.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:55   #44
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL.... where do you get the idea white is more human than brown.... we're all bloody savages under the skin...
He was merely stating the standard view common in the nineteenth century, Phil. I wish I could say it no longer prevails.

TaoJones
Old 22-02-2011, 15:55   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
WHO's yowz calin unedicated an igmarunt.... eh... eh...
BUT YOU ARE SO DAMN PRETTY.....
Closed Thread

Tags
piracy