Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 21:47   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Maldives Clearance and Cruising Permit

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding requirements in the Maldives.

If a vessel arrives in Uligama and obtains a cruising permit, is that vessel required to again clear in upon arrival in Male?

If a vessel arrives in Male (from outside the Maldives), is a cruising permit required if that vessel anchors only in Male and does not visit elsewhere?

Noonsite has received conflicting information on the Maldives, so please do not tell me to consult Noonsite.com. I have sent an email to an agent in Male but have received no reply. Anyone know for certain the answers to these 2 questions?

Thanks in advance,

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
currently in Cochin, India
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 16:09   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding requirements in the Maldives.

If a vessel arrives in Uligama and obtains a cruising permit, is that vessel required to again clear in upon arrival in Male?

If a vessel arrives in Male (from outside the Maldives), is a cruising permit required if that vessel anchors only in Male and does not visit elsewhere?

Noonsite has received conflicting information on the Maldives, so please do not tell me to consult Noonsite.com. I have sent an email to an agent in Male but have received no reply. Anyone know for certain the answers to these 2 questions?

Thanks in advance,

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
currently in Cochin, India
Perhaps if you tell us a little about your intentions in the Maldives?

Why are you going to Uligamu ? cruisers usually only stop there to refuel and take on a few available provisions - Have not heard of them issuing a "cruising permit"
Why are you going to Male ? This is the port of entry to the Maldives.

Suggest you email Amsco - they are up to speed on any new regulations,, amscoATdhivehinet.net.mv

Here is the government web site with info on visas etc :_
Entry to Maldives
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 22:04   #3

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
We are going to Male to have our yacht loaded on a transport ship. Other boats currently in Uligama have suggested we go there first, clear in and obtain the cruising permit (as they have done in Uligama), and then sail down to Male. That is what several of them are doing; then arriving in Male to also load on the transport ship. There are 10 confirmed and possibly 12 total yachts that will be loaded in Male in March, at least 3 of whom will be sailing down from Cochin and the rest from Uligama.

I would prefer to sail direct to Male and sit at anchor awaiting loading on the transport ship but will do whatever is the least expensive. We have been in contact with Noonsite and have been advised that they are receiving recent conflicting reports of what is required both in Uligama and in Male.

Thanks for the info on AMSCO. I will email them today. Still have had no reply from the Male agent I emailed several days ago. Hopefully AMSCO actually reads their emails.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Maldives, permit