Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2009, 23:47   #1

Boat: Oyster 435 "Esper"
Piracy fears in the Red Sea

Those of us who are interested in the subject will already have seen this thread on the forum, but I thought it may be interesting to start a new one, specifically to keep us all abreast of what is happening in the vulnerable sea area off the coast of Somalia.

Jamie and I are planning our passage from Turkey to India this winter. One of the most useful tips we have received so far is to join the MSC(HOA) website. Here's what they're all about:

The Maritime Security Centre (Horn of Africa), run by the EU Naval Force (EU NAVFOR) is a Coordination Centre tasked to safeguard merchant shipping operating in the region by preventing and deterring acts of piracy in the Gulf of Aden, off the Horn of Africa and in the Somali Basin. This site provides information and guidance for the shipping community.

Once you sign up (which involves completing the onsite form, answering specific questions emailed directly from the EUNAVFOR about your planned journey, agreeing to honour the confidentiality of the site, and receiving a password) you can then navigate the whole website. They will advise small yachts not to transit the area at this current time, mainly because we are restricted in the speed at which we can travel, but I guess they have to say that...

I can't say much more because of the confidentiality agreement, but if you are heading that way I urge you to get signed up. It's full of useful advice and information. Despite their warning I found it a very re-assuring picture of what is happening down there.

If anyone has any other useful information/websites/experience to share, please post it here!

Many thanks

Liz

Ever seen a cat swimming?
lyralicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 03:06   #2

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
I haven't checked out the piracy site, but I did want to congratulate you on a very cool website of your own.

Thanks

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:51   #3

Another contack for information is the UKMTO.I used them when i did 2 transits of the area.The email address is ukmto@eim.ae.I found them good for daily updates when underway.
I hope you enjoy your voyage there is some good sailing in the red sea.I found the Yemany people very welcoming.
Skipper David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:42   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We spent two months in the Gulf of Aden and going up the Red Sea without a problem in 2005. I would love to cruise the area once again. You can see some video clips of our Red Sea adventures at:RED SEA CHRONICLES
There are two video segments that are each five minutes long at the bottom of the page. One covers Yemen and the other covers the Bab al Mandeb.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy