Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 14:02   #31

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
the easy solution to these pirates that were just released with food fuel and water is to have put them back on their boat and then sink it where they were in the ocean. this is not to hide anything but to make sure they don't get back to land and do it again. the whole world has become sissified, because of "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" and it will lead to the down fall of all who embrace it.
I was going to post those exact thoughts.

Just sink them.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 14:04   #32
CLOD

Boat: none
maybe instead of a trial or killing, we sink the pirate ship and drop of the pirates off at the nearest port?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 14:11   #33

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
It's all a misunderstanding anyway.
Those poor Somalis were on their way
to the Bahamas to shoot pheasant.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 16:06   #34

Boat: Charter
"The European Union has tried in vain since their arrest to find a country which would agree to prosecute them..." "...[in addition] the Seychelles and Kenya...did not want to prosecute the pirates..."

"Now the EU human rights farce has found its way to the Indian Ocean..."

Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how the EU is any more responsible than the USA, Russia, China, or any other government or organization. We're talking about international waters here, and nobody, not one person on this forum, lives in a country that is willing to prosecute. If you think that this situation is wrong and someone should take responsibility, maybe start by contacting your own government.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 16:19   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I have the perfect solution to this. Invite the Russians to deal with it. Their navy is a mere shadow of the formerly mighty Soviet Navy, but it's still arguably the second most powerful naval force on the planet. The Russians are dying to have international credibility (just look at all the disaster relief missions they send around the world). They will not deal with the pirates in any namby-pamby way. The pirates will not like being in Russian prisons, from which they will never be heard again. There will not be human rights lawyers on board Russian naval vessels, stopping the gunners from blowing the pirates out of the water when needed. Let's do it.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 16:53   #36

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't British admiralty law allow pirates to be hung when caught. no if's and's or buts?
Old 21-12-2009, 16:54   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
the easy solution to these pirates that were just released with food fuel and water is to have put them back on their boat and then sink it where they were in the ocean. this is not to hide anything but to make sure they don't get back to land and do it again. the whole world has become sissified, because of "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" and it will lead to the down fall of all who embrace it.
So when we do that and sail away leaving them to die the line between our "civilized" world and their "uncivilized" world just became very blurred indeed. There are other ways to deal with the problem that don't involve lowering ourselves to their level. Political will, or lack thereof is the problem.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 04:25   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I see my point has been thoroughly and completely misunderstood by nearly everyone, with the possible exception of Gord. I therefore retract it in the interest of refocusing the thread.
Old 22-12-2009, 04:33   #39

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2divers View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't British admiralty law allow pirates to be hung when caught. no if's and's or buts?

There are many laws which havent been repealed - ie, they are still on the statute books but arnt in common use.
More recently, the backstabbing British MP, George Galloway, close associate and friend of the late sadam insane COULD have been imprisoned under treason laws but wasnt.

Also, a 13th centuary law still states that a Welshman may lawfully be shot with bow and arrow in Hereford on a sunday.

So, its another one for the shysters to ponder over. No doubt, if the Admiralty decided to try a case such as this, you would see more human rights lawyers rise to defend than there are victims.

Thats why I favour the Dirty Harry method of applied justice. Least said, soonest mended.
Old 22-12-2009, 04:51   #40

Give them fuel with table spoon of sugar per 5 gallons.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 05:56   #41

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Did anyone notice the other articles on the Beeb? I thought this video BBC NEWS | South Asia | How to counter a pirate attack was telling. At the end of the vid, they say if you're on a small boat don't resist, and learn some Somali phrases so you can communicate with your kidnappers.

Whatever happened to self-reliance. The governments sure as heck aren't doing much. If you want the job done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Does anyone know of any insurance policies that will cover ransoms?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 06:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Did anyone notice the other articles on the Beeb? I thought the video entitled "How to Counter a Pirate Attack" BBC NEWS | South Asia | How to counter a pirate attack was telling. At the end of the vid, they say if you're on a small boat don't resist, and learn some Somali phrases so you can communicate with your kidnappers.

Whatever happened to self-reliance. The governments sure as heck aren't doing much. If you want the job done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Does anyone know of any insurance policies that will cover ransoms?
Our police forces have a similar approach to crime. You call in a assault or house burglary and they turn up 3 days later, give you a crime reference number for your insurers and a leaflet from Victim Support offering trauma Counselling.
BUT, ......should you hurt the assailant or burgler in anyway, they are there in minutes, arrest and DNA swab you and charge you with assault.
Old 22-12-2009, 06:12   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Our police forces have a similar approach to crime. You call in a assault or house burglary and they turn up 3 days later, give you a crime reference number for your insurers and a leaflet from Victim Support offering trauma Counselling.
BUT, ......should you hurt the assailant or burgler in anyway, they are there in minutes, arrest and DNA swab you and charge you with assault.
Really?! Do you have any personal experience or is this story simply anecdotal?
Old 22-12-2009, 06:14   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
... Does anyone know of any insurance policies that will cover ransoms?
Yes, Kidnap and Ransom (K&R) insurance is available; but evidently, only a handful of insurers offer such policies.

Among those that provide K&R coverage are: American International Group, Chubb Executive Risk, Gulf Insurance Co., Hiscox PLC and Professional Indemnity Agency Inc.

Items generally covered by a K&R policy include:

* The amount surrendered as ransom. Ransom is a reimbursement policy, meaning that the underwriters recompense the insured for cash surrendered to pay a ransom. In the case of marketable goods or services surrendered as ransom, the underwriters will pay the actual cash value at the time of surrender. You pay the ransom, and the insurance company later indenifies you.
* Loss in transit of the ransom while it is being conveyed to the kidnappers by the authorised messenger.
* Fees and expenses of the response team.

Kidnap and Ransom Insurance Explained
Kidnap and Ransom Insurance Explained

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 06:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Really?! Do you have any personal experience or is this story simply anecdotal?
Its a common everyday occurence for tens of thousands in the UK, me included.
3 years ago, my car was rammed by a foreign guy who ran a red light. I asked him for his drivers details and he punched me in the face. There was a witness and the police picked him up. When questioned as to why he hit me, he said 'cos bitches dont tell me what to do'
Under home office giudelines, he was released with a caution.
3 months after that, a similar thing happened, this time there were 3 of them in the car and so I refused to open a window or get out untill the police arrived. When an officer asked why I wouldnt get out of the car I explained the previous incident, also carried out by a man of the same religious and ethnic origin and I was concerned for my safety. The officer then cautioned that my comment was racist.

I had a garage break in 7 years ago and lots of tools were stolen. The police took 2 days to arrive and issued me a crime number and said it wasnt worth trying to trace the thieves.

The national news papers are full of stories of innocent victims who are then persecuted by the law for protecting thier family and property.

Tags
fuel