Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2022, 07:05   #1

Boat: Chartering so far
Red Sea crossing and Indian Ocean stay

Hello everyone!

I havent found much information regarding ships staying in the Indian Ocean, maybe it is a hint not to even think of sailing there.

Apart of the pirates in southern Red Sea, I know not a light subject, and the pollution in Indian coast, I havent found much information except typical dominant winds and best time for different routes crossing the Ocean, but not staying.

I have the plan to get from Mediterranean to Indian Ocean and I see the African coast as an amazing place to visit, although I understand passing by that coast with a half million euro ship is a call to be attacked, even if the ship might be all I have. Also Madagascar seems an adventure but again the social conditions there are complicated and I wonder how it affects the possibility of visiting, perhaps there are options to give something back collaborating with organization, I dont know.

Anyone can give some light to this investigation?

Jaimesan
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:37   #2

Boat: Nor'West 33
Re: Red Sea crossing and Indian Ocean stay

You might be interested in watching some of SV Delos on Youtube. They went to Madagascar, and then liked it so much they went back again. I had the privilege of meeting Brady a while back, and when I asked him where around the world he liked best he said it was probably Madagascar.

I'm only speaking from dreaming and watching other videos, but it seems like going a route across that includes Madagascar, Mauritius, the Maldives, Sri Lanka, and Cocos Keeling you'd mainly just need to worry about the weather.
Old 12-09-2022, 14:43   #3

Any book about a circumnavigation will include something on the Indian Ocean area. I’ve read 5 cruising accounts and the Indian Ocean generally seemed like the thinnest section in each. Other than visiting some of the islands, it seemed most wanted to just get through to the Mediterranean or around the cape of good hope.
Chris31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 15:59   #4

Boat: Chartering so far

Exactly, but there are other archipelagos like Tanzania islands Zanzibar Mafia etc and also the whole west coast of India which is not much described usually.
The island of Socotra is intermittently open to tourism isolated from the Yemeni war. The Persian gulf with the coast of Iran must be fantastic, not that much the coast of the Arabian peninsula (not accessible anyway yet).
Regarding the Red Sea there are plans in Saudi Arabia for new marinas which are being built at the moment but catering for the very rich, perhaps a more comfortable way to travel than the Egyptian coast.
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
India, Indian Ocean