Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2004, 06:27   #1

Suez Canal

Anyone have any experience with or information on the Suez Canal? I've heard it's difficult to get through since you have to bribe the officials. Is this a big deal? How much does the transit cost?
jeremyrfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 10:44   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Look in the book "Sailing Promise" by Alayne Main. It has a good description of their passage through the region.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 14:54   #3

Thanks.

That's wonderful because I just ordered that book from Borders yesterday. Someone else recommended it highly. Thank you.
jeremyrfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:53   #4
RPC

Suez Canal transit

I came up through Suez last year, yes you have to pay bribes to get through and it varies from boat to boat and pilot to pilot on what is asked or expected.

The general rule is that they all want something and you have to offer both cash and/or small items to get the wheels oiled. It does not have to be a lot, the actual canal fees are the main burden. I think we paid our pilot about $30 plus quite a few small items, plus a few other tips here and there. I know others who paid both more and less. Whatever you give, they will probably ask for more!

The main rule is this, they will press you for what they think they can get. Be firm and don't be afraid to offer small amounts.
We have sailed around the world and the Suez canal and Egypt were the most demanding of anywhere we have been for bribes and general hassle.
RPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 18:45   #5

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot
Re: Suez Canal

Careful with this question, I asked a similar one and I was assumed to be a American and a Vile racist racist and related to Chancellorsville or something because of my concern of sailing the Suez past some troubled country's.
And I asked how it is now with the thousands of refugees. And that made me a American vile racist which I am neither.( good job on that post CFS Klopas. Thumbs up) the good info I got from normal people was that help is not far a its safer than any other place in North America basically.
I would you tube it as I watched some sailors deal with the Panama canal and it was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyrfoster View Post
Anyone have any experience with or information on the Suez Canal? I've heard it's difficult to get through since you have to bribe the officials. Is this a big deal? How much does the transit cost?
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 23:43   #6

Boat: Columbia 8.7

You're welcome.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 04:00   #7

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyrfoster View Post
Have a look at these articles that I recently had posted on Noonsite:

Processes & Procedures Egypt (2018) —

Agents Egypt (2018) —
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 03:53   #8

Boat: no boat any more

just anecdotal (& no evidence): after our first transit in 87 I vowed to only ever return to Egypt at the bombsights of an Israeli warplane...
(subsequent transits in 93 & 99 showed some improvements on the parts of the Egyptians..and /or a mellowing on my part...)
Old 27-03-2018, 05:05   #9

Haven't done the canal but just got back from Egypt where we took a group.

Not sure if you could do something similar but we normally try to handle the tipping for groups. After talking to our local contact. We gave him about 20% less than were were planning on for the entire group and he took care of everything. I'm sure he pocketed more than we were planning for him but it was well worth not having the hassle.

I don't know if it would be possible to cut a deal at the start to give your pilot a fixed amount and he deals with it. He knows what the going rate is and when it's a legitimate problem not to pay or if it's just a guy hoping to get lucky who won't do anything if not paid. Worst case, you know up front.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 05:15   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Did it...hated the scams but loved the experience.... except for the Bast@rds wanting to kiss you on the cheek, while picking your pockets
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote