Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 04:20   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback

The Route south of Borneo has little in the way of any facilities and most of the year the trades will be in your face.
The Pilot Charts give good favorable lights wind for the period I have to sail to PNG: January. Also the current looks ok. My major concern was the actual sail the strait but doesn't look like I got many useful info yet. Probably it is better to change the title in: info to sail Torres west to east.
Going-east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48   #17

Re: Transfer Phuket to PNG

The Torres Strait has been transited thousands of times in both directions - mainly by Australian sailors and countless others including merchant vessels of all types - perhaps it would be in the boat owner's interest to hire a pilot with experience to pilot the owner's boat through the strait - West to East ?
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback
The Torres Strait has been transited thousands of times in both directions - mainly by Australian sailors and countless others including merchant vessels of all types - perhaps it would be in the boat owner's interest to hire a pilot with experience to pilot the owner's boat through the strait - West to East ?
Is it a question?
Yes west to east because I come from west if is still not clear.
Probably it's still not clear that a strait that has 6 kn of current can be tricky to be sailed and good sailors with intention to give advise in stead to give cheap comments would probably tell you if it is feasible to drop anchor some where (and close to which island/reef) if there are peak of current in certain conditions, if small sailing yacht can cross outside the TSS.....
Is when reckless sailor goes around thinking that with so many miles on their shoulders they know all about sailing that accidents happens. I take around a 3 million dollar boat since 2001 with no one single accident of any kind thanks to my "German approach" to situations. I am not asking you to understand this.
But back to us:
Instead I get a cheap comment regarding hiring a pilot......
Not very useful comment I got from you!
I have asked you already ones if you have personal experience on this strait, I was expecting a more practical help from you and not a continuos shallow comments but what you actually have experienced Please if you don't have practical experience or useful info leave space to whom has a more constructive answer.
Nothing taken
Andrea
Going-east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:04   #19

Boat: 50'schooner Nigel Irens
Re: Transfer Phuket to PNG

free tips,
refuel at brunei ! can deal there for best price in asia ! can arrange at the yacht club with staff for local diesel price..
and watch after the floating logssss all along borneo ! a floating forest !
fair winds..
bertho
bertho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Papua New Guinea