Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2021, 12:19   #1

34' Chung Hua Trawler, heading to Mazatlan from Ensenada, BC

So we all know how boating goes; best made plans made are often changed.

My husband and I planned on following three other boats down to La Paz on November 1st. Unfortunately, they've had health and boat issues (thankfully not covid related) that have caused them to change their plans.

Understandable, but, unfortunately (or fortunate for you) we have a reservation at a pricey marina in La Paz. It's from the 14 of November through the first of December. The deposit is non-refundable, so we're on!

We would prefer to have someone with cruising experience, as well as help navigating long passages.

We took our trawler from San Diego to Ensenada in March. We've met great friends at the marina but are a bit more free-spirited. I'm hoping to find like-minded cruisers (or crew) to continue our journey with.

About us, in our 30's and friends for over 15 years. We use the aft cabin, so the main would be for any crew. We love adventure and travel. I'm a certified yoga and meditation teacher; I studied in Ubud, Bali. So good vibes are a must!

About our crew, we have two medium size dogs, a guinea pig, two dwarf bunnies, and a recovering seagull. Depending on what the vet says this week, she may or may not be joining us on the passage.

I'm going to undersell this as much as possible because I would rather have an authentic experience with like-minded people.
TrouvaillePaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 14:29   #2

Re: 34' Chung Hua Trawler, heading to Mazatlan from Ensenada, BC

There is some recent chatter on TrawlerForum for CUBAR, a power boat version of BajaHaHa. Also, in 2004, I did the BajaHaHa on a Willard 40 trawler - one of 4 powerboats in a fleet of 160. Good run. You could likely pickup crew from. LAT 38.

Which marina are you in? I'm hauled in the commercial yard just north of Baja Naval.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 05:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
There is some recent chatter on TrawlerForum for CUBAR, a power boat version of BajaHaHa. Also, in 2004, I did the BajaHaHa on a Willard 40 trawler - one of 4 powerboats in a fleet of 160. Good run. You could likely pickup crew from. LAT 38.

Which marina are you in? I'm hauled in the commercial yard just north of Baja Naval.

Peter
Hey Peter,

I'll check out CUBAR. We're at Hotel Coral and Marina. Do you live in Ensenada? Thanks for the tip!

Lexi
Old 25-10-2021, 06:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrouvaillePaws View Post
Hey Peter,

I'll check out CUBAR. We're at Hotel Coral and Marina. Do you live in Ensenada? Thanks for the tip!

Lexi
Hi Lexi - I have some refit working being done at a small yard near Baja Naval. I travel to Ensenada often. Normally my boat is in CruisePort. Right now, I am in Ensenada through the end of November. Plan is that when my boat is ready, I'll head back home to Florida. Shipping is definitely an option, but I sort of have my heart set on doing the run on her own bottom. 20-years ago, I delivered boats (mostly Nordhavns) up/down the coast with a couple runs to Florida so have done the trip before, but at a delivery-pace.

Peter
Old 25-10-2021, 08:48   #5

Lexi - I see the Baja Ha Ha leaves San Diego next Monday. In the past, they've had a few boats start from Ensenada and join the fleet at the first stop. You may want to reach out to the organizers and see if they have any crew ideas for you. Their progress may be a bit slow for you, but couldn't hurt to ask.

https://www.baja-haha.com/Dates.html

Peter
Old 25-10-2021, 09:42   #6

I would suggest you go to west marine in San Diego and purchase a book I think it's by Jane's a couple who traveled from San Diego thru the cannel to the east cost. The book lists all the places to lookout for and where you can get fuel along the way down Baja.
gfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 12:06   #7

Hi there, if you need some help down to Mexico, I am an experienced sailor please visit my profile.
Kind regards
Serbeben 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 19:51   #8

Boat: Looking

Hi! Crew of 2, wife and I, 30 and 33. We have minimal sailing experience but lots to offer including cooking, maintenance, and navigation. Let us know if you're still seeking. Wellness minded and active, previous whitewater guides with EMT skills.
Jo_Yellowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 05:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_Yellowstone View Post
Hi! Crew of 2, wife and I, 30 and 33. We have minimal sailing experience but lots to offer including cooking, maintenance, and navigation. Let us know if you're still seeking. Wellness minded and active, previous whitewater guides with EMT skills.

Hey there! Thank you for your interest. Are you located near Ensenada? Perhaps we could meet up to see if you two could possibly join the adventure!
Old 28-10-2021, 05:39   #10

Boat: Looking

We are in Gardiner, Montana and would be happy to video chat and introduce ourselves as a preliminary interview. We are also curious about y'alls story and would like to hear about your sailing experiences!
Jo_Yellowstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, trawler