Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 10:49   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: 44' CHB Trawler trip from WA State to Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana2 View Post
I am curious about one thing. I have only once ran on one engine and that when I ran from Florida to Mississippi. It was a older 70' wooden vessel. The prop got bent in the Bahamas. So I just ran the one engine and the bent prop engine off except when docking, not too bad a trip. Just curious if anyone knows what damage if any to anything on the boat to do this. Just curious, thanks.
catamarans travel under one engine all the time. makes good sense for engine life to run one engine at 80% of max rather than both at 50% of max. saves fuel too. use both when in close quarters or running from bad weather/ waves.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:33   #17

april is too early to leave unless you want to get your ass kicked

ports of safe refuge are few and the entries difficult with poor services until you get to SF.

better to wait until may june and travel at night when it is flat calm, sleep during the day. its gonna take at least 2 weeks
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:49   #18
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Cape Flattery to San Francisco = 766 nm landfall at Pt Reyes
Cape Flattery to Los Angeles = 1,075 nm landfall at Pt Conception (Cape Horn of California)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:50   #19

Hey, Brian here from Corvallis, I see one of my post not the others. I would enjoy to find out more as time goes on if you are still seeking g a qualified set of hands and eyes. 541 207 2664 or rescueguy_1@hotmail.com. Brian
rescueguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 20:25   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Capt Chuck,

I sent a PM. Didn't hear back from you. Are you still looking for crew?
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 20:42   #21

Boat: CHB, 1981 Trawler, 41'

Yes and thanks. I have read and replied to a few. Yes I certainly want to have a couple of people to help me bring the boat down. I won't be doing that until around April or May and close to when the weather a good 10 day window. The main reason to have a crew is to run 24 -7. I can bring it by myself and in every night or just turn o the radar and sleep in the saloon but prefer to just run down and have a crew. So timing is important. I worked the WA and Ore coast salmon fishing daily for a few years a very long time ago. Tons of nice weather off the OR coast picks up later in the day and just run downhill with it. So i am making a list of people and once I get close to making that trip I will try get 2 people to go with me. I have a master bed (mine) and twin forward bunks (yours). So only need two more people. I want to fish as much as possible, I don't think anyone needs a fishing license unless you go ashore. So I know it probably won't be perfect weather and we may have to go in somewhere I know at least once for fuel. I have radar, A newer marine radio with AIS. I have all we need. Chartplotter, is also newer and has everything we need. Depth, Fish finder, etc. Some some decent weather have a great time.

So i really appreciate all the feedback and the people interested to make this trip with me. I'll do my best to get back to everybody and i will continue to keep everyone informed on this site. thanks.
Santana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 15:56   #22

Ok making ready to bring my boat down the coast from WA State to San Diego. My 44' trawler is a very stout vessel and made especially for the PNWest. Leaving Seattle May 1st. I have been in lesser vessels along the West Coast with no problems so if weather kicks up, this vessel is no problem. But if looking like too bad I would head to marina somewhere along the coast. I know, not a lot of them and many not good if already bad weather. Advance warning and quick decision necessary. But if just blowing through, then ride it out. I have been 200 miles offshore on a vessel I owned many years ago just 8' longer in good blows and just go with it through the night.
I think a very fun adventurous trip with lots of fishing and lots of video and using my drones for video sounds like a good time. Nights? Radar on, set to alert if anything with in 10 miles to alert me. I used to get up every hour when drifting offshore during commercial trips by myself. But not sure now I can wake up every hour? But I think with the radar on then i will be ok. Not sure yet how far offshore? I want to fish a lot after WA and Oregon, then head more offshore. I know of pots/Bouys to watch for, not sure how far they go out? Any suggestions, thanks. I will keep the trip up-to-date on here for any that might be interested. Captain Chuck
Old 12-04-2017, 16:15   #23
mcm

What sort of range does that boat have on 2 engines ? assuming a 20% safety factor to get into safe harbor if required.
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 16:42   #24

Well out of the blue, I may have a couple of my best, married friends from Florida might come to join me for this trip. So I will know soon. I figure 1,000 mile rage not including the 20 extra gallons safety factor. But I plan on stopping Last part of Oregon and fill up.
Old 12-04-2017, 18:26   #25
mcm

You adding extra tankage or bladders, seems a long range for a 44 chb ?
Old 12-04-2017, 19:32   #26

Well many factors come into play here. First off I am going to run on one engine mostly once I get around the corner and head downhill. Second is it downhill all behind me, swells, most wind, etc. Next of course I will be checking the reading to see how we are doing with the fuel. It will be a good test just to see what the mileage really can get down. I am no hurry. Not going to fast as will be fishing a lot of the way. So a good experiment it will be. Really don't want to take too much time, but some time for fishing. I have a golf tournament I am signed up for May 20 & 21st. So must be back in Rancho Mirage by then. Thanks for interest. If I can get email I may be adding the trip day by day for any interested folks. Have a good one.

Oh, I have 4 or 5 - five gallon jugs on board all the time.
Old 12-04-2017, 19:46   #27
mcm

I sincerely hope we do not read about a misadventure of your trip when you do it. From what I have read so far, you seem overly optimistic of the vessels and your ability to make this trip. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2017, 20:17   #28

Wow, i hope you don't either. No faith eh. First off this is not my first go-around. I am a 100 ton licensed Captain. I have been in every square inch of water between WA State and Mexico plus Canada. I was in the King Crab Industry for 6 years in the Aleutian Islands. I owned a 72' Hatteras in Florida and ran it all the time by myself back and forth in Florida and to the Bahamas and most all the other islands out there, when I got to a port they would help handle the lines for me, but I mostly would anchor in teh Bahamas. I am not a day sailor. I am very experienced or I would not attempt this trip. I have been in and through just about every inlet along all the west coast including the Columbia River many times without any help. But thanks I appreciate your concern.
Old 21-04-2017, 23:13   #29

Hi! Sent private message
eazzara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, trawler