Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 19:02   #46

Boat: S&S 40
Re: A New Twist I Think

5 years is a long time to be stuck on a boat with strangers....
In my experience most crews get sick of either me, each other , the boat or the lifestyle.
Better to take a crew from A to B and just see how it goes.
If you decide to swollow the anchor and it looks to me you dont need the money you can alway give it away, regardless where you are.
In my opinion its a strange proposal..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:04   #47

Hello there, my name is Troy and it is nice to meet you. My daughter and I are very interested in this opportunity and I think we would be a great fit for this adventure, we are both very capable and able, friendly and kind and after talking and meeting with us I think you would agree we would be perfect for this adventure. Please contact me and let’s start talking, this would be perfect for the both of us. Hope you have a great day and I look forward to hearing from you.
My name is Troy Herstine nice to meet you.
412-848-2878
Therstine@hotmail.com
Therstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:45   #48

What a wonderful opportunity for a worthy couple: lifelong friendship, adventure, learning experience and possibly, topped off with ownership of a beautiful ship! Wish I was younger.
After growing up sailing, I had to wait till my kids grew up before being able to afford sailing myself. Now I own a 28footer that I solo sail and learn most things the hard way🤔.
Nan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:19   #49

I forgot to mention that I am 45 and my daughter is 20. We are looking to travel the exact same places you are interested in. We are both good cooks, play and sing music, live to fish, hike, explore and we both live the water, I hope to hear from you.

Troy
Therstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 14:47   #50

Boat: Peter Snell Easy 37'

Good luck to you. Great idea and I hope it works out. Would love to hear of your adventures!! Look us us when you are in Oz or South east Asia.
Old 05-02-2019, 18:20   #51

Boat: Macgregor 2000 26x

Hello,
I have been trying to send you a private message but I am not sure it is going through. Let me know if you see something as I do not want to send it ten times if you are receiving them. I hope all is well and look forward to corespondence.
IdahoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 21:38   #52

I love this idea. If the chemistry works then it would work out amazingly for both parties. Please keep us posted.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 23:27   #53

Hello Captain of the Scorpius,

I believe your heart is in the right place, but I also think you are over thinking this. There are plenty of young and older members on this forum who are ready and willing to go cruising as crew. You, the Captain are apparently ready and willing to go cruising. So, feel out some of the willing and go cruising. You are not getting any younger and we sure can't stop age. Go, while you can and enjoy. When you get tired or think you are too old then give it to some young couple who you believe might be looking for the same adventure. This is not a perfect world. Many marriages fall apart in the first year and they were, "in love." Lots can happen in 5 years. FROM EXPERIENCE: I have crewed on others boats for the past 18 years from a couple of weeks to 3 months at a time. People like there own space and can get on others nerves really quick, especially old people like me; I'm your age. I know you didn't ask for all these opinions but you are on a forum. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Far from a naysayer.. but view me as you choose..

Probably more of a "realistsayer" in this case.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:37   #55

I get the idea, here, but the problem is that there are two many variables, and too many ways for this to go wrong. While the parties might get along after one encounter, the forced nature of the relationship almost certainly will end badly.

It would be like getting married after one date.

You're attempting to tie cruising help with a social security plan, of sorts. While it's an interesting thought, it bucks human nature. Human relations are organic, and cruising together is more complicated than a contract will probably handle, and 5 years is a LONG time.

Seems to me that you could simply take on crew, and if the spirit moved you at the right time, leave the boat to them.

In any event, good luck, and keep us posted. Certainly would be an experiment.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:24   #56

Interested. I'm a 63 year old semi-retired commercial sailboat captain. My mate is a 50 year old healthy female. Neither of us have children. Please respond if the position is still available. Thanks, Kemo Heindl
captivacapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:57   #57

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Here is another idea, why not find 5 couples, do one year with each, and then decide who to give the boat to at the end. A year is plenty to find out if you like each other, without pushing things too far.

Bilbo Baggins's quote: 'I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread'
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 14:33   #58

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Wow. This is beautiful, and I so hope you find a perfect couple to do this with... There is less and less respect for age in our world, but in the sailing community I think that is the opposite, and the amazing gift you could give the right young people is something difficult to even grasp. And the gift they can give to you. Lifechanging for both of you, I'm tearing up at the thought..... You should share this also on maybe some Facebook groups.... I think more people on this site have boats already, but there I know plenty of amazing younger people who are dying to take to the sea, but have no (and never will have) the resources to do it alone. You would change their lives. I am so happy I read this post, it gives me a lot to think about for when my own time comes....

Thank you for this. I've had quite a few both positive and negative comments - plus some seriously interested couples. So it seems to be working.

Carry on! Enjoy (you are doing the right thing right)! Take care! And good luck!
-Bill
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 14:34   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Here is another idea, why not find 5 couples, do one year with each, and then decide who to give the boat to at the end. A year is plenty to find out if you like each other, without pushing things too far.

Bilbo Baggins's quote: 'I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread'

It's a thought. Thanks. -Bill
Old 09-02-2019, 14:37   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i'm sure you will find a happy solution,it is too good of an offer not to be taken,it just might take a few tries.

as i'm sure you know ,time at sea does effect people mentally and physically,some for the better some for the worse.

in my experince of over 100k miles with both small and large crews from all backgrounds,people generally want to move on after 6 months.

perhaps with this in mind look at a rotating crew,who at the end get portions of the boat,with the stipulation that to remain members they have to maintain and use it,sort of like a partnership or time share non profit cooperative

I'm getting some very positive replies - and very much what I was hoping for. Of course I've not met any of them yet so we'll just have to see what happens. I'm going to shortlist maybe 3 couples and take it from there.

- Bill