Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2023, 05:51   #16

Re: Adventure from Panama to Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
I love the juxtaposition with those other multihulls. Is that a flip up rudder on the back?
It's a cassette rudder with bungees keeping the rudder blade in it so if you hit something, the bungees let the blade kick up and come back when you clear the obstacle. Of course you can also pull it up and push it down. The cassette is stitched onto the stern in alternating, figure 8 fashion and has absolutely zero friction.

There's a constant weather shore here with 15 knot forecasted average wind speeds for more than a month now and while the rudder works well I'm having some trouble single-handed tacking out of the marina through the 3-4 boat lengths wide several hundred meter long channel to be able to really test it all out in some waves. Between tending the sheet while tacking, balancing the boat and holding the tiller I don't have any spare arms to also paddle during a tack and be able to make some way.

Yes, half the boats in this marina are floating living rooms. No Proas, though.
Martin1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 20:51   #17

Nice work on the canoe build - have an awesome trip!
Davo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:40   #18

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.

I'm local to that area, sent you a PM with info about the coast.
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:36   #19

Boat: ?

i'm in colombia now..antioquia..which is where i believe the 1st roads/land access you'll encounter will be (Turbo as good connections to airports)

were you ever successful in exiting limon bay?

i've made that trip from panama to colombia..and back.
not sure if i've ever seen a canoe like that in unprotected waters...
(i'm no canoe expert...so i'm without judgement on how it would do in typical 20 knot winds with 2m seas hitting you every 5-6 seconds)

(maybe) at night you could take advantage of calms caused by nighttime katabatic winds...
..but not sure where you would shelter (nor how you you would even navigate close to shore in a poorly charted area without local knowledge)
but good luck@!

i think just getting yourself to san blas would be is a nice challenge.
especially if limited by your schedule.
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
i'm in colombia now..antioquia..which is where i believe the 1st roads/land access you'll encounter will be (Turbo as good connections to airports)

were you ever successful in exiting limon bay?

i've made that trip from panama to colombia..and back.
not sure if i've ever seen a canoe like that in unprotected waters...
(i'm no canoe expert...so i'm without judgement on how it would do in typical 20 knot winds with 2m seas hitting you every 5-6 seconds)

(maybe) at night you could take advantage of calms caused by nighttime katabatic winds...
..but not sure where you would shelter (nor how you you would even navigate close to shore in a poorly charted area without local knowledge)
but good luck@!

i think just getting yourself to san blas would be is a nice challenge.
especially if limited by your schedule.
I'm still in shelter bay. Next week the winds will finally calm down a bit but they'll probably come back. Not even the supply boats are going out of the breakwater right now so I don't intend to go out in such waves and against such wind, the canoe wouldn't do well I'm pretty sure. They might sail in canoes in such weather in Hawaii but their canoes are designed for that and have a very long tradition. Here's an example, a video at the bottom of this page: https://www.hemakeewaa.org/hawaiiansail

Nighttime navigation would be dangerous in unknown waters. At day, I can see where the breakers are and where to go. I also intend to print the Bauhaus charts for help. In San Blas there are many islands and sheltered areas I can use so I anticipate that part to be easier.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:07   #21

well.
panama is not hawai'i

and be careful on trusting windy etc.. esp with zero room for error

anywhere there is a lagoon(or any cool air mass) near a shore..you will get thermal effects (additive)
same thing at night near from katabatic(usually dampening effect) off the land mass..

for a typical yachtie making that trip..the weather not following their "plans" results in a beat up boat and crew..

for you an oversight results in you never posting your follow up here(or anywhere) again.

and do not expect rescue services there..so you'd need to be self sufficient.

personally.. i'd just aim for no further the san blas(..or even portobelo)

that is a nice challenge, imo..

those coasts are not forgiving..odds would still be stacked against you.

(and colombia is a whole 'nother animal...and if by some miracle you got there...how do you even get home?)

my guess... if you ask around @marina it is likely you get a "buddy" boat to follow you..
Old 04-03-2023, 07:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
well.
panama is not hawai'i

and be careful on trusting windy etc.. esp with zero room for error

anywhere there is a lagoon(or any cool air mass) near a shore..you will get thermal effects (additive)
same thing at night near from katabatic(usually dampening effect) off the land mass..

for a typical yachtie making that trip..the weather not following their "plans" results in a beat up boat and crew..

for you an oversight results in you never posting your follow up here(or anywhere) again.

and do not expect rescue services there..so you'd need to be self sufficient.

personally.. i'd just aim for no further the san blas(..or even portobelo)

that is a nice challenge, imo..

those coasts are not forgiving..odds would still be stacked against you.

(and colombia is a whole 'nother animal...and if by some miracle you got there...how do you even get home?)

my guess... if you ask around @marina it is likely you get a "buddy" boat to follow you..
I'm no longer on a schedule. It was unrealistic with the current trade winds and for some reason especially this season there's a more consistent and stronger blow from NE. I'll be going day to day when the weather is right. Lots of water and food with me and stock up in towns along the way. Once in Colombia I intend to sell or give away the boat.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:17   #23

thats good to hear.. (not trying to do this on a tight schedule)

..and i wish you the best.

also..

fyi, the guna yala..from the san blas all the was to colombia is an autonomous native land in panama..

i'd want to make myself known to the local chiefs along the way.. if traveling by canoe close to shore.

this is where you find that critical local knowledge (and support should you need it)

Tags
columbia, Panama