Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2023, 12:34   #1

Adventure from Panama to Columbia.

Greetings,

I was wondering if there's anyone who'd be interested in buying a canoe in Panama together and cruising down the coast to Columbia with it. I see at least one boat (20 feet long) for a fairly cheap price (280$) on Facebook marketplace and I'm sure more can be found. The canoe and paddles can be sold at the end. I'm already in Panama and I'd like to make the journey before end of February. I have experience paddling and sailing canoes in the sea in the Mediterranean in winter and summer.

I'm trying to find other places and forums where I could post an advert for this adventure and would appreciate any suggestions. Currently I have a post on the website Crewbay here: https://www.crewbay.com/job/11516
Martin1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 12:31   #2

Re: Adventure from Panama to Columbia.

It's Colombia.
bnolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 15:01   #3

Boat: Sabre 28

Sounds like a fun concept.

Which side? Any idea how safe that area is?
Old 01-02-2023, 16:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Sounds like a fun concept.

Which side? Any idea how safe that area is?
I'll be starting in Colon where I am currently building the sailing rig for it. Then onto San Blas archipelago, check out of Panama at Puerto Obaldia. Check into Colombia at Capurgana and then the last stretch to Túrbo which has a road connection.

The San Blas archipelago or Guna Yala as the inhabitants call it I presume safe. There's lots of pleasure boats there and tourism is a major industry. Closer to the border and in Colombia is probably different. I haven't heard of any incidents and people have done this trip before in small inflatable kayaks. I would imagine there's some smuggling happening around there but I'm not going to be looking for any trouble.
It is true that there are stretches of sea where there isn't much civilization, no mobile signal and no police. You can run into bad people anywhere in the world. I don't look rich so I'm generally left alone.

That's the safety from humans aspect. There is also danger from squalls and high waves. Currently it's blowing 20 knots onshore in Guna Yala. By March it is supposed to calm down a bit although still windy up to 15 knots.

As an update, I have bought the canoe and paddled it to Shelter Bay Marina where I am now working on putting an outrigger, leeboard and sail on it. I haven't gotten any serious people messaging me, so I've decided to make a sailing rig and sail alone if there's no one who would make the trip with me.
Old 01-02-2023, 16:54   #5

If timing were different...
Old 01-02-2023, 17:28   #6

I have to finish this trip before mid-late March so it is what it is. I've already resigned to doing this alone. If anyone joins later, it'll be easier but doing it solo is just as possible.
Old 02-02-2023, 17:09   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Martin, have you really researched this trip?
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des...ricas/colombia
Old 02-02-2023, 17:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

It sounds like the sort of trip best undertaken alone. It's a well-travelled coast, so the likelihood of trouble is small.
Old 02-02-2023, 17:49   #9

You might try the Facebook groups - Missouri River Paddlers and the Mississippi River Paddlers.
Sailingsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 15:48   #10

Before people pm me any more questions about shelter marina, I refer you to the Facebook group Panama Cruisers to find your boat.
Old 04-02-2023, 15:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Martin, have you really researched this trip?
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des...ricas/colombia
I thought I had posted a reply already to this but it doesn't show up for me. Capurgana and further south along the coast is littered with hotels and hostels full of high rated recent reviews on Google maps so it must not be that dangerous as that website suggests. I think they have some outdated information. If the locals as I go advise me to avoid it, I can also cross the bay as soon as I check into Colombia in Capurgana and go to Necocli.
Old 04-02-2023, 15:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
It sounds like the sort of trip best undertaken alone. It's a well-travelled coast, so the likelihood of trouble is small.
There is good reasoning for doing the trip alone but it would make things easier if I had another person to help balance the boat and paddle. Then again, that would also weigh down the boat more. I'm hoping I can figure out a simple rudder that would make this trip more easy solo.
Old 04-02-2023, 17:32   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin1953 View Post
I thought I had posted a reply already to this but it doesn't show up for me. Capurgana and further south along the coast is littered with hotels and hostels full of high rated recent reviews on Google maps so it must not be that dangerous as that website suggests. I think they have some outdated information. If the locals as I go advise me to avoid it, I can also cross the bay as soon as I check into Colombia in Capurgana and go to Necocli.
Nothing new for the Australian government Smartraveller website to be outdated and wrong. If you went by what they say you would never leave home.
Old 27-02-2023, 05:10   #14

I know this is getting buried a bit but here's some photos of the finished canoe.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230222_165657_copy_752x564.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	272137   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230222_164645_copy_807x604.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	272138  

Old 27-02-2023, 05:30   #15

I love the juxtaposition with those other multihulls. Is that a flip up rudder on the back?

Tags
columbia, Panama