Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2020, 04:59   #31

Re: Advice for a young bloke looking to take a gap year.

THAT was the name of the regatta I couldn't think of! Pittwater to Coffs Harbour!

Tell him to start off by getting on a boat doing that regatta. Really fun. Leaves the day after the Sydney-Hobart - going NORTH. Lots more fun than the Sydney-Hobart slog. Then tell him to do the boat delivery back and he'll be on his way...

Here's a picture of the start line:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201113_0757376.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	226852  
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:01   #32

I did just that when I was young and initially did a lot of small boat racing. I saw that larger racing boats are always looking for brawn. However, I found that I was in so very over-my-head in my 1st offshore racing job one summer, and not everyone was nice about it. I then found, in a miserable recession, a wealthy couple who needed someone aboard and weren't so puffed up about ego. I stayed longer than a typical gap but learned lots from them and did many many miles in mutual admiration ! One would suspect I'd be satisfied with that but I did look around at all my work options next and then would find a next job aboard a race boat with a very "hot" crew. I intro'd myself as someone who might not have their abilities but said that I was most eager to learn, help, etc. I, now, many years later have some land-based work but also a yacht management biz. Interesting how this can all go ! Oh, I have never accepted time aboard boats that would cost me. I kinda think if someone's gonna have me stand watch, then they oughta feed and have some care for me.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:10   #33

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

I have used Hank Schmidt and his OPO website for crew. They have always been dependable. I would recommend that route, Hank does a good job 'screening' captains and crew.

I can't imagine a reasonable captain turning away an able-bodied, enthusiastic young person with little or no commitments unless there were serious issues.

The only hitch is sometimes insurance. For a north Atlantic crossing my insurance, Yacht Insure, wouldn't certify anyone who hadn't already crossed... no matter how many miles they had put in costal crusing and island hopping.

I've shut down my sailing this year because of the increasing Covid restrictions, but PM me his contact and perhaps in May I can contact him for sailing to St Johns and a possible sail to Ireland god willing and the Covid don't rise.
Old 13-11-2020, 10:19   #34

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Since I'm currently looking to crew, I have a list of places he could try...
L= $ in Pounds. I can't find the correct key combo.

FindACrew was mentioned above.
Pros: Nice search engine to enter your criteria; Identity verification
Cons: Not cheap ($55 USD per month); Limited messaging if you are not an active 'Premium' member (limited to 'Hi, I'm interested')
I paid for an initial few months, as it seemed the most serious/useful.
https://www.findacrew.net/en/

CrewSeekers
Cons: Need to pay to contact boats (L75 for 6mo). Cheaper than FindACrew.
https://www.crewseekers.net/

CrewBay
Pros: Free (mostly). Premium is L7 per mo; No messaging restrictions.
https://www.crewbay.com

SailingNetworks
Pros: Free; Simple searching (maybe too simple?)
https://www.sailingnetworks.com/

CruisersForum
The best ;-)
Pros: Free; Allows PMs, etc...
Cons: Small volume
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...refixid=Wanted

Facebook Sailboat HitchHikers
Pros: Free
Cons: It's facebook; No search criteria (you have to read them all...)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sailboatyacht

Sail Offshore Passage Opportunities (SailOPO)
New to me. I'll check it out...
Pros: Seems serious.
Cons: $199.00 per year to join! Cannot contact boats unless you join.
https://www.sailopo.com/h1.aspx

Maybe we can ask the Mods to make a 'Sticky' post at the top for a frequently updated list of sites... with or without my comments...

Shameless plug: I am considering buying a pocket cruiser. I have lots of sailing experience on my small 17' cat and have done a few offshore cruises (a while ago). Prior to buying another boat, I want to crew to make sure that's what I want before the commitment (and expense) ;-)
I'm in Montreal, so anywhere on the East Cost is easy to get to. Flying is still permitted.
Old 13-11-2020, 13:10   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

He could volunteer for a sail training organization like Toronto Brigantine or Brigantine Inc. Search for sail training in your area.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 15:06   #36

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Some MORE great advice here, thank you all.

To be honest, I didn’t really think the idea of walking the docks would work here in Australia, but it clearly it does from others experience, at least on the East Coast. There’s no real cruising boat activity here in South Australia, so he’d have to go east, but that’s probably on his agenda anyway.

I see another vote for the crew-for-cruisers, and I have to say, it does sound like a smart approach.

He is a pretty good looking bloke, so I WONT include the suggestion about entertaining the teenagers-in-the-hammocks. He’s going to have enough problems in his life as it is.

The Pittwater to Coffs regatta sounds like a terrific option too.

Thanks again to all, I’d better get this into something like a list, with all the appropriate disclaimers and send it to him on the school email system. I’ve only got one more week of teaching placement so I’ll have to get my skates on.
Old 13-11-2020, 16:01   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Lots of good suggestions, but let me add one. In a former life, I was a University Coach, in another sport, and so mentored lots of youngsters around the relevant age. I totally understand the "grey line" issues and think the solution would be to approach his parents with your general plan. Assuming that they are enthused, you can work with and through them. Three heads are better than one, and it will totally eliminate any questions of inappropriate behaviour. Take all three sailing! If they don't have a boat now, the parents will, no doubt, be grateful and it would be a great way to bond. Your list would be a part of all of this. Best of luck...you are doing a good thing, and have that rare opportunity to help a young man find a completely new and positive direction. But, given his background, don't be surprised if he knows more about the cruising life than you do, and maybe past experience will make him less enthusiastic than you might suppose. But, give it the best try you can.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote