Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2021, 21:48   #1

Asia to North America

Wanting to crew to North America from Asia. I am US citizen with US passport located in Taiwan. I could meet East bound boat just about anywhere along the Asian East coast, i.e., Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines or Japan.
I have been double vaxed for Covid and have credentials. I have crewed on and off for the past 20 years and before that owned and lived on a sailboat in the Gulf of Mexico. My last was a 2 1/2 month crew/delivery in 2016 from Capetown S.A. to Annapolis, Md. aboard a 50' St. Francis Cat.

I can cook; I used to own and run a bbq restaurant in Texas. I know about diesel engines as I own a chevy diesel pick up. I have learned patients and can take orders as I have a wife and four daughters. I have stood many night watches either as crew or on my own boat and understand that the Captain's word is law. My health is good with no known problems.

I have never sailed the North Pacific route and would love to do so. I understand that the next crossing season starts in about May or June of 2022 and I would be ready for that.
Old 19-11-2021, 20:10   #2

Boat: 2011 58 Sunreef 60ft
Re: Asia to North America

I am looking for a couple of crew to help me bring back a 58 sunreef that I just picked up in Phuket Thailand I am planning to leave their In the beginning of February 22. Look forward to hearing from you
Old 20-11-2021, 03:18   #3

Hello Chris...I am very interested. May I ask the route, final destination and the number of crew. Also, what would you require of me besides crew,i.e., helping cook, standing watch, general crew duties?

I don't believe I would have a problem flying into Thailand; looks like they are open to vaxed tourist at this time but might still require a few days quarantine. Hopefully the outlook will be even better in February.

I have crewed off this Forum since 2013 and can PM you references at your request.
Thanks, Taichungman/aka Beemer
Old 20-11-2021, 06:14   #4

Morning, I am thinking three or four people. As far as Duties I would say pretty much what you said. I have one friend from Chicago who would join us for The first month probably leaving us around Darwin Australia. I am thinking that we spend several days in Thailand getting familiar with the boat and getting supplies then leave stopping stopping in Singapore down around Indonesia stopping and on to the northern Australia stop at Darwin from there my friend would possibly fly back or if he still has time continue in to Fiji. I was planning to take the more direct route but that all depends on the winds also I think we're getting into the best time will be in March. I would like to visit Bora-Bora if plan permits then across to Galapagos islands and then the Panama Canal. After that should be playing sailing LOL plan on visiting Grand Cayman which is the homeport of in the wind and then final leg back to Sarasota Florida. Obviously there's a lot of variables there If you would like to call me so we can discuss further I can be reached at 847-909-9999 thank you Chris
Old 20-11-2021, 08:52   #5

If you have Watts app you could call me as well like to chat further on the phone possible just easier than texting
Old 20-11-2021, 17:02   #6

Hi Chris, I don't have/use whatapp. And I know you didn't ask for my opinion but here goes. It appears you want to take a direct route from Darwin to Panama which is a mostly upwind beat. I know your boat and it's big and strong but it won't sail to windward easily or at all; You might be motoring most of the way and that won't be fun. A better route would be with the wind at 40 degrees or below and then cut back North toward the Galapagos when you near South America and pick up some favorable winds North. Or the Indian Ocean (Northern route) to Cape town would put you through the Caribbean before hurricane season.

Bottom line, I will pass. I have sailed in the South Pacific and sailed to the Galapagos and was wanting to sail the Norther Pacific route to North America since I've not done that. Anyway thank you for responding and good luck with your search. If you decide to sail another route other than direct then I would be interested. Thank you again.
Old 27-11-2021, 09:05   #7

Boat: 30 ft sailboat

I am available. I have been working on a 30lf vessel and would be interested in the experience. I have traveled to 60 countries so Thailand would be ok for the start

tony
twoodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia