Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 13:27   #16

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch
Re: Bahamas in and around Spring 2020

@Whalesong. I sent a PM your way.
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 13:42   #17

Hello Y'all.
Here is an update. I am in Fort Lauderdale. Wooo!
Feels so good to be back in the land of Sunshine and Palm trees.
The mission is a Go!
Current events are slowing things down a wee bit.

I believe we will be ready to go by the beginning of May, so we have a shortened tropical season for sailing. But we still have a season.

I am still looking for crew, and I am looking for specific roles:
Galley (slave some would say) needed.
I want to make this a paid position, with specific duties. One of the most important skills is that you have to know your way around a coffee bean.
I would really call the position galley manager. Cooking and cleanup duties are shared by the crew on a rotating basis, but someone has to organize that stuff and know where everything is ��. Compensation will include expenses covered, a modest amount of $$$, and a crap-ton of adventure.

Deck Monkey: This might be covered. Basic duties include step and fetch. Line in, line out, etc.

For consideration and to adjust for current events, interested parties should be pretty flexible with their travel plans. Things will change betond our control. The boat will be well provisioned and able to stay out there for long periods of time. No worries there. The thing to consider is that, we do no know where we will be able to tie-up, on the occasions we want to tie up. Countries could be closed. Etc.
We'll be flexible.
If that thought makes you uneasy, then probably best to "stay in the truck" ,as they say. We got this.
Old 06-04-2020, 15:46   #18

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Bear in mind that with Bahamas borders closed, that doesn't mean you can't dock. It means no outside boats are allowed to enter bahamian waters.
Please respect their rules and desire to keep covid from spreading.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 17:23   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to lobsterninja

Interested. Same age as you and interests. I am in Largo now, perfect passport, health ins., DL, fishing license, etc.. Maybe I can come aboard for ten days or so.
lobsterninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 21:37   #20

Hello Flying Monkey,
I'm interested in joining your crew! I have zero experience sailing but want to learn! You said your a good teacher and coach : ) I'm a ton of fun, easy going, have skills in first aid and cpr, and know my way around a coffee bean And I seriously want to learn to sail, for real! Where are you in your planning? I'd love to talk!
DoorKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 07:26   #21

Update 4.23.20

I have the boat on the Hard in Playboy Marina, Fort Lauderdale. I am about a week behind schedule... which, I guess, is right on time, in a sailor’s world.
She was ready to go straight away and head out to sea, but I thought it better to make some improvements in her seaworthiness. She is getting some new thru hulls and a fresh bottom job, as well as other projects. Those are well underway, but taking a bit longer than planned. #Boatlife.

Many countries and likely ports of call are presently closed to entry for foreigners. Personally, I am not letting that deter me. We will respect country rules and current restrictions. The boat holds a lot of diesel - I think she has over 200 gallons on board right now. She also has a water maker for plenty of fresh water underway, and showers. I love the salty sea, AND fresh water showers. Therefore, as long as the rum and cookies hold out, we are good to go.

I expect to have her back in the water by the end of April/beginning of May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4CCAB8C4-2750-4332-9116-635A7498D556.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	213500   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0CE8EE6-701F-4498-8225-6C6C052F4E6A.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	213501  

Click image for larger version

Name:	794153FE-B41D-4335-8053-3C4CDF16C06B.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	213502  
Old 23-04-2020, 07:58   #22

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Bear in mind that with Bahamas borders closed, that doesn't mean you can't dock. It means no outside boats are allowed to enter bahamian waters.
Please respect their rules and desire to keep covid from spreading.
I too find it, shall we say odd, that this person is planning a cruise to a country that is locked down and isn’t even allowing boaters who are already there to come on shore or even leave their boats for food, fuel or water. This planned adventure gives the appearance of a group of individuals who just don’t care that they will be purposefully breaking Bahamian laws upon their arrival. This sort of attitude/ behavior casts a negative light on the cruising community world wide.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 08:35   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DoorKeeper.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 08:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
I too find it, shall we say odd, that this person is planning a cruise to a country that is locked down and isn’t even allowing boaters who are already there to come on shore or even leave their boats for food, fuel or water. This planned adventure gives the appearance of a group of individuals who just don’t care that they will be purposefully breaking Bahamian laws upon their arrival. This sort of attitude/ behavior casts a negative light on the cruising community world wide.

I find it odd that a person would reply to a thread without first having read the details in the thread. Please read the whole thread, so that you can be informed and not overly concerned where no concern is needed. Thanks and have a sunny day.
Old 23-04-2020, 09:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post

I am still looking for crew, and I am looking for specific roles:
Galley (slave some would say) needed.

Basic duties include step and fetch.

If that thought makes you uneasy, then probably best to "stay in the truck" ,as they say. We got this.
You paint an appealing picture. I can't wait until it's "This is my boat and I'm the captain" starts.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 13:16   #26

For SVWhalesong. First you need to decide if you want to take your boat to Sarasota. Sarasota bay is 6NMx2.5NM and average depth of 9Ft. Long restricted channels to Tampa Bay and the Gulf. Winds are often light and the temperature scorching. Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor are much the same. Just because you love the Peugeot Sound sailing experience does not mean you will love sailing the west coast of Florida. On the other hand, if you have time Key West and Bahamas are grand adventures.

Seattle to Florida through the canal is an arduous trip. 5000 NM of contrary winds and seas. If you need a Captain, this will most likely be much more expensive than trucking and only worth it if you're looking for the adventure.

It's easy to get a trucking quote online. From any port on the gulf coast to Florida west coast is not difficult and doable. Still, you may be looking at 25% or more of the boat's value.

Another alternative (and maybe the most sensible) is selling your boat and buying a boat that best fits your needs after the move.
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 21:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You paint an appealing picture. I can't wait until it's "This is my boat and I'm the captain" starts.

This is an excellent comment, so I will take a few minutes to paint a picture that might help folks understand life aboard.
There is no need to wait for "This is my boat and I'm the Captain". It is that way already, from the very start. There is no question of that reality.

I believe what you are really saying or commenting on, is the anticipation of poor personal and communication skills existing and leading to a heated situation whereby one individual has the feeling that they must "pull rank". It's sort of a sitcom type situation, popular in the culture, but extremely ineffective in conflict resolution and destructive to the living core of the thing that is a crew.

I can't comment for other people, but I can say that my personal characteristics are such that I am a person others look to for guidance, especially in times of "Oh ****", but usually it's just some body in Hope Depot asking me about something . In my 9 years of active military service, I never once had to "pull rank" to get something done, even though I was an officer and absolutely in charge. To me, that is not leadership, it is a kind of bullying and demostrates a weakness of character.

I should take a bit of space to define my style. I am an alpha type, driver personality. I can be very intense. In business, I am a Creative Executive type. I believe in participatory teams in which everyone has a voice and a chance to state their position and good ideas. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and has a corresponding duty to rise to the call of duty in their area of expertise and to follow the leader in their areas of weakness. People pull their weight, chip in with good ideas, and reach a consensus on the best course of action. I am not one who is tied to "my ideas" or "my way". I would rather hear a good idea from someone and run with it. Many heads, and many counselors produce the best results, because they produce the best solutions.

The other important bit here is that a boat is a small place and people will get pissed, be pissed, and generally fight and argue at various times. That is no problem. It is natural. We need to be able to get mad and pissy AND continue to work together for the good of the crew. Thin skins are for land, as are egos and all that other stuff.
Old 28-04-2020, 20:02   #28

Hi, so has your voyage managed to go ahead with all the current issues?

I am very interested, but wondering how current restrictions have impacted your plans.

Thanks
Gwilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 19:25   #29

Have you gotten crew for the trip up north yet?
visionsinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 22:26   #30

Please see my new thread - Fort Lauderdale to the Chesapeake. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-237639.html
I know, I know. Sorry about all the changes. I wish I was in the Azores by now. Current events and lots of changes and adjustments.

Tags
Bahamas