Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 20:17   #46

Boat: S&S 40
Re: California to China Friendship Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfliveright View Post
I am looking for sailors interested in joining me on a trip from California to China for purposes of underscoring the need to illustrate and potentially publicize our wish to show our friendship with the people of China.

There's a lot to the story that leads me to this project but key is the need to provide another answer to the US-China relationship which from the US side is threatening and of potential existential concern.

Other than the underlying humanitarian objective, the acquisition and preparing an ocean worthy vessel remains as does the seeking financial support.

I hope to hear from folks with interest in putting such a trip together. Lots to think about but I'm psyched.

Get back and I'll stand by to talk and plan.

Tim
China is not a place for recreational boating.
Since the purpose for the visit is political you can forget getting an entry permit
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 14:19   #47

wow...
Give me a boat and money and I'll mend relations with China.
The only reason why someone would say no is because they are sinophobes (may be misspelled). Okay.....????
sailawhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 13:31   #48

Other than the actual sailing related part, which is huge, here are a few questions i would like to see posted in your project pitch.
What is your Mandarin and Cantonese level? Have you ever visited or worked in China? Are you part of or have connections to the Chinese/American community or work with any related organisations? Include your resume as well. Thanks
DivingSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 15:37   #49

Reasonable questions indeed although before providing answers I think it only fair that you introduce yourself with at least a hint of interest in such a venture.
tfliveright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 15:57   #50

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Reasonable questions indeed although before providing answers I think it only fair that you introduce yourself with at least a hint of interest in such a venture.

Um. Why? What I think is fair is that you actually put your thoughts into a cogent document about what your plan is. Because it sounds like you just have some dreams, not really any plans. Dreams are fine, but they are just that. From the questions asked, it's apparent that you haven't really thought this through... You just hoping some sugar daddy will appear and pay for your dreams... Like Greta (they had to FLY her crew back)?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 16:06   #51

I gag a bit at your presumption. My only presumption at this point is that you politely introduce yourself as opposed to likening me to Greta and in the market for a sugar daddy. Not at all on target although, yes, my quest is in the earliest of stages with plans awaiting others who might take interest. Obviously, you don't seem to be of the fanciful type but seemingly, at least as you present yourself as more than a little condescending. Maybe I'm wrong but so far you are too.
tfliveright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 16:12   #52

BG305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 16:29   #53

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I do get a kick out of those who won't fly commericial becuase of the carbon footprint, but then support the COPA climate change confabs where most of the "leaders" fly in on private jets, or are among the thousands who go just because it is an event.

Little like Greta who "sailed" to the US to reduce carbon footprint for the UN meeting. As I recall lthere were three crew who sailed over with her and 5 who flew here to take the boast back. Not sure how that math works.

I do support reducting tension between the US and China but I really don't see how this enterprise is going to affect this. On the other hand, there are several 503(c)3 charities in the US that basically allow cruisers to write off there expenses as charitable donations, most with marginal if any true charitable activity.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 16:39   #54

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
I gag a bit at your presumption. My only presumption at this point is that you politely introduce yourself as opposed to likening me to Greta and in the market for a sugar daddy. Not at all on target although, yes, my quest is in the earliest of stages with plans awaiting others who might take interest. Obviously, you don't seem to be of the fanciful type but seemingly, at least as you present yourself as more than a little condescending. Maybe I'm wrong but so far you are too.

I gag at your presumptive requests. "Hey, everyone, drop what you are doing and RUSH to help me out, as I don't have a pot to pi$$ in, and I have the dream bucket full of platitudes". Based on my longevity here and my post count, I think most folks around here know me by now.

You, on the other hand, haven't even bothered to really introduce yourself. You just storm on in here, and make everyone else who bothered to waste time with your dream bow down to your "politely introduce yourself" BS. Go ahead. Next play? I'm betting you will be offended by this.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 17:09   #55

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
I don't think the post you're referring to is condescending at all.
So far, what you've proposed as a "plan" is but childish dreaming.
You're wanting others to invest in a "bridge to nowhere", as it were.
How about you save some money, get a smaller boat that's reasonably suited for a long cruise singlehanded, like something from Cape Dory, and head off to China.
After they "detain" you then you can attract some media attention and hopefully Uncle Sam, (taxpayers,) can bail you out, (or do a "prisoner swap").
You'll become a cause celebre to some, and a goat to others.
Then, with some good fortune, you can appear on some TV shows for big bucks.
As the late Andy Warhol said; "everybody deserves 15 minutes of fame".
Old 17-07-2023, 18:41   #56

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

As far as I can tell...you have no skin in the game. You come to a forum, completely empty handed asking or hoping to find a ride. The majority of sailors here have worked a lifetime to learn to sail and invested a hefty amount of cash into their dream. Realistically, logically and ethically, why would they want to risk possible imprisonment and/or losing their boat in the process? Is an airplane that carries 300+ people polluting a large amount per passenger, compared to a sailboat that has Dacron sails, burns diesel (more than you might think)...I doubt it.

There are thousands of lofty causes in around sailing that are local to you I would imagine.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, China