Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 20:46   #16

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Okinawa, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmaster View Post
Seriously? Did you know that few weeks ago there was a offshore race Volvo HK to Vietnam race? I plan to sail via Nha Trang like everyone else sail for many years.
Volvo HK to Vietnam race 2017 video.
https://youtu.be/JnPzqkSliMo
That's a race with special permissions and a single destination.
Totally different to a cruising yacht wanting to actually cruise and stop at different spots.

Only way I have found to get in is if you want to be treated as a commercial ship stopping at commercial ports paying commercial rates.

If you have some different information please, I am all ears.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 21:23   #17

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Just had this response from one of the agents I keep in with waiting for the day we can get in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171128_151712.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	159826  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 15:18   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Yokoyama 40

Simi 60, I don't plan to cruise in coastal Vietnamies waters. I plan to visit Nha Trang and stay there 3-5 days just to get fuel, water, new marina in Nha Trang is horrible place to stay if you have a south wind then it is dangerous to stay there.
You wouldn't want to stay there, see the videos, last month storm, I've been there. Wind was 80 knots.
https://youtu.be/GkWXqIKFvpE
https://youtu.be/bcFNfNdPjeE
sailingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 16:17   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmaster View Post
Simi 60, I don't plan to cruise in coastal Vietnamies waters. I plan to visit Nha Trang and stay there 3-5 days just to get fuel, water, new marina in Nha Trang is horrible place to stay if you have a south wind then it is dangerous to stay there.
You wouldn't want to stay there, see the videos, last month storm, I've been there. Wind was 80 knots.
https://youtu.be/GkWXqIKFvpE
https://youtu.be/bcFNfNdPjeE
Thanks for sharing the videos..... definitely a poorly thought out marina as any TD in S China Sea will produce southerly winds.
Plus the whole coast of Vietnam is a lee shore in the NE Monsoon..

Makes good sense to go offshore, for a number of reasons.

FWIW here is how I would do the month long passage.

From Cambodia or Nha Trang to Ulugang Bay on the west coat of Palawan.

A Philippine/US naval station, it is a very secure anchorage and a short drive to Puerto Princessa for Customs, if they wont attend you on board...... (Yacht club in PP can probably help you organise)

PP provides you with airport connections and Supermarkets and a yacht friendly atmosphere.

Then beautiful sailing up towards Port Barton, San Vincente, El Nido, Coron, Busuanga towards Puerto Galera and Subic..... All with good coasting along mostly protected waters that are Sublime!!. (Photos of deserted beaches just below Port Baron)

Officialy clearing out from Subic, heading North with many protected anchorages then towards Taiwan or HK if that is a priority
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cambodia to Taiwan.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	159867   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 20170909_102520.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	159869  

Name:	6 20170908_114915.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	159870   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 20170908_115115.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	159871  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 17:21   #20

Boat: Spray Replica

Hi Sailing Master, like Pelagic said I would question your timing and route. I am sailing in this area right now, in fact I am underway now crossing the sea of Japan, and I have to tell you it isn't easy. Unlike your route, I at least have the comfort that we are predominately heading West so the strong northerlies are not on the nose.

You will be arriving at the worst time of the year. Temps struggle to make it above 5 degrees and wind chill is much worse. Winds are coming straight of the frozen North.

Also Vietnam is not an easy coast to cruise. I know of at least one yacht that was caught in a fishing trap scam and almost destroyed. They were passaging from Hong Kong to Singapore with a stop in Vietnam.

Unless you have a particular need to be in Mokpo by January you are really going to punish yourself, your boat and crew.

Timing a passage from the Philippines through Taiwan, Japan then Korea leaving the top of Luzon in April is a wonderful trip. Any earlier could be a miserable passage.

Taiwan is a great stop and worth at least a couple of weeks stay. Te trip up through Ishigaki, Okinawa, Amami and Kyushu is a real experience not worth missing.

Do you have a reason to be in Mokpo early? If not consider the alternate route. I can provide you with anchorages and-ordinates if you need them.

Also make sure you have your T's crossed and i's dotted with paper work. A boat was fined $5,000 last year in Korea for not having the correct paper work. This can be difficult as the rules are all written in Korean and are not easily interpreted, and officials tend to have their own interpretations.

If you need a hand with information we can help when in contact range.

Last year there was only 3 foreign cruising boats in Korea apart from Russians. That is why the authorities have so little knowledge.

Cheers

Garry and Wendy
Spirit odf Sobraon
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cambodia, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam