Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.29 average. Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 11:55   #151
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

We keep the 10 commandments in my home and on my boat. If someone cannot do that they would be unhappy sailing with us anyhow. That and no smoking and drinking. And we still manage to have a blast. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-07 10.22.33.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	85396  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 12:29   #152
cruiser

Which commandment is it that prevents sex, and how do you stop folks from saying "god"?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 16:38   #153
cruiser

My latest conclusion for the subject of this thread is to check and see which version of the commandments the skipper is using.
Old 22-07-2014, 17:15   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Geez guys, it's his boat, whats wrong with him setting a few rules that he considers to be good rules and in the keeping of morale?
You don't like the rules, don't get on his boat, what can be easier than that?
But you have no right to pass judgment on his beliefs, anymore than he, yours
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 17:35   #155

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

You know, listening to all these stories is quite fascinating -Giving, that, not so very long-ago, if you needed crew, you had to Shanghai someone -and, this practice prevailed, I do believe, for most of Sailing history -Today! "we're" only looking for those whom are the best fit -For That Of Us!

Yes! all quite different -also, given, that Shipping/Sailing, was the Only way/before that of Trains, Horses and Covered-wagons, that once could move/cover great distances!

Now, its "Is he the Right one!" To be perfectly honest, "they Made them, the men! Into that of the Right Ones!" "They, the captains! They weren't asking -they we're Telling!!
Old 30-07-2014, 18:01   #156
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
If you were looking to crew on a sailboat for open ocean passages, what would be on your safety checklist as you decide whether a particular yacht was a safe bet? What questions would you ask the skipper? Also interested in the flip, what would you look for or ask of your crew?
as per OP question"open ocean passages". simply put i would background check with an attorney and/or police of crews own homeland. no-one wants a mental case on an open water crossing. secondly i would want "verifiable experiance "as days and nights offshore is not a simple overnight to the next port. unless you are charging money to teach someone overnight "watch" skills i would not sleep soundly just leaving some "newbie" at the helm while i rested. perhaps that is just me. fairwinds and godspeed.
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 14:02   #157

Boat: Seeker 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Underdog

If personality doesn't seem warped, I think you can use the 'All Is Lost' test and ask any potential crew what they thought of the movie. That would pretty much weed out the numbnuts.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:21   #158

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by su2014 View Post
as per OP question"open ocean passages". simply put i would background check with an attorney and/or police of crews own homeland. no-one wants a mental case on an open water crossing. secondly i would want "verifiable experiance "as days and nights offshore is not a simple overnight to the next port. unless you are charging money to teach someone overnight "watch" skills i would not sleep soundly just leaving some "newbie" at the helm while i rested. perhaps that is just me. fairwinds and godspeed.
I have interviewed over a thousand candidates and employed more than a hundred of employees from secretary to MD and Ph.D. in my career. With his sailing resume, a couple email exchanges and a phone call, I pretty much can tell if I want him be my crew. This is followed by a talk with a random pick of captain he has served. That is all I need to seal the deal.

I am pretty good in judging people's character. Being a captain, the most important requirement is the ability to lead. There are no bad dogs, but bad owners. There are no bad employees, but bad employers.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:51   #159
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
There are no bad employees, but bad employers.
You clearly haven't met my employees. I can set up a meeting with the worst of them, if you can pass the background check to get into a super max.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39   #160

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Interesting, I am about to advertise and then vet a crew. I have experience in doing this, and it still seems to be a hit or miss deal. Sailing does not build character. Sailing REVEALS character.
I think a sailing resume is helpfull. I think camping is something similar which could be considered. cruising is not racing and vice versa. consider who can cook, and who can speak the local languages.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:47   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbraymer View Post
Interesting, I am about to advertise and then vet a crew. I have experience in doing this, and it still seems to be a hit or miss deal. Sailing does not build character. Sailing REVEALS character.
I think a sailing resume is helpfull. I think camping is something similar which could be considered. cruising is not racing and vice versa. consider who can cook, and who can speak the local languages.
I would be more worried about who can work while under adverse conditions (sick). I do like what you said about character. I've seen alot of interesting characters revealed under sail. Including some pretty good ones

BTW, if any members of my former crews end up on your boat: shoot me a line.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 20:28   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
If you were looking to crew on a sailboat for open ocean passages, what would be on your safety checklist as you decide whether a particular yacht was a safe bet? What questions would you ask the skipper? Also interested in the flip, what would you look for or ask of your crew?
As a "Green skipper" it has been very interesting reading both sides here.

Thanks for the thread.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:19   #163

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Number 1, after teaching sailing for 10 years; The greatest factor in vessel safety is operational expertise. An extremely long list of safety equipment is not as valuable as a watch schedule. I have seen a nearly new 45 foot sailboat wrecked on an early voyage, completely filled with the finest equipment, the autopilot hit one of the oil platforms outside Long Beach LA harbor. So figure out if people have some experience at sea, or in a simple but similar activity, like hiking or camping.

Number 2, patience in dealing with people; on a vessel, people with short fuses are a problem. I ask for a sailing resume of potential crew. If someone does not have the time to type up a one pager, how diligent will they be in the middle of the night when a fix is supposed to be entered into the log, and a dot put onto the chart.

I guess I am actually taking about judging people, not boats or equipment.

dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:07   #164

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Back when I used to hire management types, I always took them out to dinner. One to see how thye treated the waters, two to see how they controlled their drinking and three to see how they ate their food in a modestly stressful situation.

If they treated the staff politely and well, were reasonably relaxed eating and were able to sip their wine etc without going overboard - they worked out.

We like to find out just how experienced and capable a crew is - a few questions can usually tell us just how much a person knows.

This goes the other way with interviewing skippers also.

We sail a dry boat when on the water (the exception being if we are motoring in dead calm - then we allow 1 glass of wine or 1 beer with lunch or dinner). We do this because if things turn nasty - we don't need the effects of alcohol hindering us in managing the baot.

I ocassionally(4, maybe 5 times per year) smoke a cigar in the cockpit when at anchor or in a marina (I happy to sit downwind of everyone else). I can skip the cigar if someone doesn't like it.

No drugs unless they truly are for medicinal purposes.

Once at anchor or in the marina - well, we enjoy G&T's, and wine.

We reserve the right to put anyone ashore we feel doesn't belong on the boat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 22:05   #165

This is a GREAT question. Thanks for identifying problems before they happen.
jackwantstosail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, paracelle