Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 07:09   #196

Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Behind every great Captain, is a first mate rolling his eyes ;-)
dmaher2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 09:23   #197

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

This has turned out to be a very interesting thread for me,
We are coming to the end of a long restoration of our 45 foot brigantine schooner and were looking forward to a Bahamas cruise come January.
Six weeks ago I broke both bones in my left leg and am only just now beginning to hobble. Handling our heavy boat, especially in close quarters, like docking, could now be difficult for my wife and I alone.
So we are thinking about crew, possibly a couple.
This long thread contains a wealth of good advice, even though I haven’t yet read every reply.
My plan is:
First obtain a CV from interested parties, including personal criteria. I already have ours to send to them.
The next thing is to meet at the boat to interview them, and they us, and they can examine the boat. That should answer most questions.
Then a trial sail. Being where we are there is no quick route to the ocean, but a short trip up and down the ICW will tell me a lot. Maybe with an overnight anchorage as well, to assess congeniality.
There is also a question of insurance, which I have not yet read if that has been brought up here.
What about a simple contract, including a “get out quick” clause for both parties if things just don’t work out? In my experience, word of mouth agreements can easily turn to law suits, especially in America.
After that I think it comes down to gut feelings.....
Old 30-11-2015, 20:12   #198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Jolly, I've had a lot of crew. A few turned into good friends. But the crew I really trust turn out to be sailors that I've known for a long time.
Take home: It is really difficult to find good people whom you trust to sail with you for an extended time. Plan on months if not years slowly vetting them.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:12   #199

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Jolly, I've had a lot of crew. A few turned into good friends. But the crew I really trust turn out to be sailors that I've known for a long time.
Take home: It is really difficult to find good people whom you trust to sail with you for an extended time. Plan on months if not years slowly vetting them.
If I had any sailing friends who could drop everything and help I wouldn’t need to advertise.
Ours is a short term requirement, due to my broken leg. We don’t anticipate needing long term care.
Old 01-12-2015, 13:40   #200

Boat: boatless

Jolly Roger, I sent you a PM. Okay two.
NJD
Old 16-12-2015, 14:24   #201

Enjoyable and informative thread. I've crewed for a few and made lots of delivery's. I either knew them or a friend recommended me. Some were dam I'm glad that's over, others WoW that was the best trip ever.

Most delivery's were Owners sometimes there family or friends. You can know someone, but at sea they can be very different. I found out it was very difficult to really know what they would be like before hand. Possibly the felt pressure of friend had me biased before hand.

I had to lookup the WIT or what ever it was as I didn't know. My masters ticket expired 10 years or so ago (makes me out of touch). I have had prospective employees that have passed there agency's background check that had felony convictions. Checking on those that were not US citizens was extremely difficult for me.

Hats off to the Ladies that contributed as I saw a new perspective, thank you.

There are some great ideas in this thread that will help make it a be less of a crapshoot. It is a risk regardless, these ideas lessens the risk.
NJ Mc Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 20:13   #202

Looking into buying a 40ft sailboat in la paz. Pending a good survey and everything being up to date and safe, how would I find a captain to help me bring it to san diego, and what would that cost? I can come with and crew, but I don't have much experience, but I'm a fast learner! I will be buying this boat as a live a board and taking every class and lesson I possibly can in the next three years to be able to sail back down to mexico once I'm done with this current obligation, but that doesn't help getting the boat up here from lapaz! Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated!
polonumber14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 09:40   #203

Boat: ODay 240

hi
58 year old male with a tiny biit of water experience. want to get some experience and learn to sail. Any tips on getting some sailing opportunities?
MDCurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 14:29   #204

I was a late starter, if you can get yourself on a comp crew then a day skipper course before July you can come with us over the bay of biscay. Join crewseekers for getting some cheap sailing time in. I recommend you do the above fir any long trips.
Moosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 02:22   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Never had a problem with crew assessing my capabilities as their captain. Or asking questions about the boat's readiness.

I prefer enquiring minds to dumb obedience...
Well, said - which is why we decided to take an experienced expat aboard. No problem with him second guessing me, as he usually had some well-reasoned advice.

Best to all,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 18:44   #206

Boat: 42 US YACHT
Crew Wanted

CREW WANTED

I’m a retired USCG Merchant Marine Towmaster Captain, (Seattle to Alaska) my sailboat is a 42ft US Yacht. It has two staterooms each with private head & shower and a large salon that will seat10 persons for large group lunch/dinners, an aft quarter berth, an inside pilothouse steering station as well as the aft steering station, and this should provide for easy inside watch-standing during inclement weather. Large Galley, refrigeration, water maker, SSB with Pactor III modem for sending emails, etc, etc,.

Want to depart San Diego asap to Hiva Oa, Marquises, French Polynesia about a 26-28 day crossing with Pacific Puddle Jump Group. Then, Nuka Hiva, Kauehi Atoll, Raroia, Makemo, Fakareva, Rangiroa, Papeete Tahiti, Moorea, Aitutaki Cook Islands, Pago Pago American Samoa, Apia Samoa, Tuvalu, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Palau, Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Madagascar, Cape Town South Africa, , St. Helena, Paramaribo Suriname, Caribbean, Turks & Caicos, , Bahamas, Miami Fl., Bermuda, Azores, Mediterranean, Baltic Sea, North Sea, United Kingdom, France, Spain, All of Mediterranean, Canary Islands, Caribbean, etc. etc… Please remember that this tour is written in sand at low tide and who knows what might happen when the tide comes in.

Those interested should reply to boatrips619 at gmail dot com and I’ll send more information.
Thanks,
Capt Jim
boatrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 03:12   #207

I need someone like you as capt , wanna come do a trip with me..........for real.
namdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 12:08   #208

do you have any more information?
marlow.currie@gmail.com
Old 18-09-2016, 12:19   #209

In July 2016, I certified with Canadain Yacht Association BASIC Crusing Level (ASA 101, 103). Have day sailed on 30 27 24 and 22 foot cutters. Would like to get some coastal water experience.
Old 29-10-2016, 13:28   #210

Boat: Pearson 424

check out ownersandcrew.com
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, paracelle