Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 13:39   #211

Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCurrie View Post
In July 2016, I certified with Canadain Yacht Association BASIC Crusing Level (ASA 101, 103). Have day sailed on 30 27 24 and 22 foot cutters. Would like to get some coastal water experience.
Check out the Foothills Association of Cruiser Sailors in Calgary.

Foothills Association of Cruiser Sailors

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 01:16   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Looking to crew with someone in Turkey for a few weeks. Where do I start?
I'd say somewhere around either the Aegean or Black seas.
Xen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 09:42   #213

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

[QUOTE=boatman61;1267198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

Can't move... your engine don't work... bit like me...

I am in that stage of life where if it does not hurt, it probably does not work!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 09:45   #214

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm perfectly happy solo sailing the boat personally...
I'd hate her to move about and spoil the view...
Can she cook? Esta muy flaca, y no sabe hacer tortillas!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 21:57   #215

Puerto Vallarta to Huatulco Mexico! 50 foot ketch

Hey all,

Looking for a 2/4 people for a crew down Mexico's pacific coast. My girlfriend needs to go home for work and I want to get the boat closer to home without her so i will need some crew. The boat is a 50 foot ketch recently outfit with new engine and rigging. It's a great boat with a lot of comfort and a beauty to sail. I'm hoping to leave soon around June 7th and arrive 5 days later . All provision cost will be covered . I can contribute to flights as well $100 per person.

Email ochsearthur at gmail with a short resume and some basic details about yourself and contact information.

Arthur
Lifeaquatic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 00:04   #216

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, I haven't read this thread fully, so hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse with the to follow info. But in the past I've penned several replies to neophyte crew's queries as to what to expect on trips, & what kinds of questions that they should ask. And, most of the questions & information work in both directions. Meaning that it's stuff that skippers should ask, as well as discuss with perspective crew. Hope it helps.

Here are a couple of the threads, followed by some key outtakes, highlighted in blue:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2303280
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-177084.html

As to how to handle tomorrow. Tell us a bit about the trip, & what you plan to pack, & we can assist with sorting out your kit/gear.
Know that, as with anything else, the questions that you ask (especially of the skipper) tell more about you than do the answers that you give to the questions of others. Such as the things that you'll likely ask about the
boat, travel, & 101 other details. So in both asking & answering questions, don't brown nose, but think & speak with thoughts as to how you can positively contribute to things. And that show that your head is in the game, even if sailing isn't your strong suit (yet).

It sounds like your attitude is good, which is probably the most important thing. And that you do want to contibute. Which is obvious by what you're asking now. So you're on the right track. Just stay positive, & with a mind towards
learning. And volunteer for as much as you can, including for jobs that many consider upleasant, like going aloft, or aiding in cleaning X, or Y, even if that means hopping in the water in port to check a zinc, or clean the hull. Safely.

You're on track, so no worries

Oh, pack spares of a few key items, such as: knife, flashlight, glasses, sunglasses, warm - hat, socks, gloves, & long underwear. Especially as you never loan out your primary copy of the 1st two items. So that if you have a spare, & someone forgets theirs... no one goes without. And both are important
safety items.

PT II:
I'm at a bit of a loss for how to tell you how to proceed. Well, except to tell you to trust your instincts. And if you get to the boat, & things see off, be ready to make your own way home. As well as being ready to do that from anywhere you may stop along the way if things take a turn for the wierd.

You could also do a bit of investigating into the skipper, the boat's owner, & anything else that's relevent. Checking on liscenses, resumes, the boat's
history (maratime liens, etc.). Also, if the skipper has worked for delivery company X, you can look into that, & similar.

Plus, both ask, & check the seaworthyness of the vessel. Her safety
gear. The soundness of her primary systems. Along with the weather vs. when you'll be sailing/delivering her, & if the trip is planned at the edge of being out of season. So that you'd possibly be in harm's way due to such. For example, doing a delivery froom SF to Seattle in October. Which is when the winter storms begin rolling down to the PNW from the Gulf of Alaska.

I've both crewed, & skippered where things were done both ways. Only on the strength of
phone converstions at times, & others where everyone was pretty much a known entity. Though by the time I was traveling the oceans that way I had a couple of decades of experience under my belt. Including the Americas's Cup (1 1/2), Annapolis (US Naval Academy), & several years as a Naval Officer conning ships, & submarines. So my instincts were pretty well honed at the time, in terms of judging people, & in that I could sleep with one ear open in order to make sure that everything onboard was running correctly. And that I could handle 98% of onboard emergencies even if that meant telling the theoretical captain to shut up & listen to me sans argument.

If you trust your instincts, both about boats, & people, you'll likely be fine. Though that also means that if you don't feel comfortable deciding whether or not it's a good idea to go, then pass. Ditto if your
depth of knowledge on boats is insufficient to let you make such judgement calls.

Rides are not in short supply. And unless you're destitute, & this is the only way to get some coin, then you have options. The flip side though, is that few boats or people are ever ideal for a trip. There's always a to do list for boats. And when doing deliveries, it's not uncommon for that list to be longer than one would prefer. Which can at times be a big part of why the owner isn't moving the boat. He's paying for the skipper's (& crew's) expertise in handling a less than perfect vessel. Where the pro's
depth of knowledge will carry him through, when the owner lacks such a knowledge base.

A few other things to discuss are
food, & per diem. Travel, lodging, vehicle expenses (rental car, busses, cabs), pay (or not), including what constitutes a work day. And if you're stuck in port somewhere would you be getting paid for that day, & at what rate. What your duties will be. Watch standing routines, & proceedures. Alcohol. Smoking. Equipment provided by the ship/owner, & what you need to bring, & what not to.

I guess that that's more than a few items, & it gives you some ideas of some of the big things which can come into play. You won't have time to discuss all of them. At least not in a short conversation. Which is where instinct comes into play again. And I don't mean to scare you, nor overload your brain. But the above is a 5min glimpse into some of the delivery game. Hopefully a helpful one. And there are lots of
forums that are dedicated purely to deliverys, crewing, & skippering. Plus heaps of crew agencies. Which you can both look into online, & try & get some face time with them live. Along with (hopefully) copies of some of the contracts, rules, & paperwork which they commonly use. So that you get even more data to melt your brain with.
Dang did I just type that I mean that their contracts, & rules will help you to better learn how things work. And what you need to do to look out for yourself.

Finis

PT III:
I can't say as I know of many (any) skippers that would take an experienced crew who's a pain in the ass, or looks like he'll turn into one, over someone who's green, but has a great attitude. Boats are really tiny spaces, so morale, & low key temperments trump knowledge most of the time.

Given that, and knowing that there's plenty of green crewmen out there, if a skipper is hiring crew, guess who he'll pick. And he'll be happy to speak with the owner to ensure that his crew's taken proper care of. Fiscally & otherwise. At least he will if he's a decent person, & a decent skipper. Personally I'd avoid most that don't think in such a fashion. Since having good crew onboard is the biggest piece of safety gear there is. Including for boosting morale, making it easier for everyone to be relaxed & well rested, etc.

Also, as stated, there are loads of other ways to gain experience. Racing probably being the best one. Since when racing, boats get pushed, so you
wind up doing things which can be marginal... trending to loco. And as a result, you also learn how to keep your cool under stress, as well as how to sort out snafus. Plus you race at night, in bad weather, for long distances, when tired... All of which helps your skills. Gratis. And on top of it, racing boats often need to get delivered to a race's starting point, or home from a race afterwards. Which, if you have a good delivery crew, they'll have time to teach you stuff in a low key environ.

Oh, & not all racing is half tethered lunacy. Wednesday night
beer can races are low key, & great for learning too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 18:52   #217

Boat: Hunter 28.5

I could do without racism or sexism, but what do you have against cowboys?
SlyderTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:56   #218

I like that.
andrewTSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 04:35   #219

Good info boatman
Hullboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 18:17   #220

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedpiper View Post
When I am looking for a yacht to sail on I Google the captain's name to see if they've had any media exposure (crimes, mis-haps, or if they are a legendary sailor). I also like to ask around the marina if that's possible so I get a feel for their rep. But meeting and having a drink together tells the best story in my opinion. And looking at the captain's historical posts on these forums. Last thing I want is to be stuck on a boat with a racist or sexist cowboy who expects me to laugh at his jokes. But sometimes free crewers can't be too picky.
everyone makes mistakes. only fools odntlearn from them, if a skipper had a accident it does not mean he should be treated like the black death. and no I am not talking about myself. the best captains out there have been in the sh_t when it goes bad and they are usualy way safer than anyone one else who has never had a real problem.
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 22:23   #221

Boat: Wanted - 22-23 Catalina trailer sailer

For a wannabie sailor this is a great thread. Thanks to all for the great advice....and great laughs!!
Sail2there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 09:30   #222

My suggestion, in addition to all the safety issues mentioned, is to review social media such as Twitter. That would have kept me off a boat skippered by a racist, sexist, Islamophobe, carrying a firearm. While it's easy for me to ignore a lot of sailing issues that aren't usually life threatening (over-steering, overreacting, poor sail trim), time goes very slowly when with someone who constantly rants about women and gets hot headed talking about sharia law taking over U.S. cities.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 23:09   #223
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

[QUOTE=fahtcha;...talking about sharia law taking over U.S. cities.”

-Not all US cities at once anyway, hehehe.

The social media idea is good...if I had it to check...but I’m sure very telling. In my most recent previous occupation listening to rants by nuts was entertaining; but maybe only because my occupation before that involved long periods of relative isolation.

I don’t give a rat about someone’s views on subjects. Always been more concerned about the operator’s ability to get me there alive.
Old 28-09-2018, 07:04   #224

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Took me a couple of years to come up with this line, to be saved for the first political/religious/philosophy argument that gets a little heated:

"We do not yell at each other on this boat. We do not hit each other on this boat. And finally, if any of you does not show proper humility for this ocean, you should not be on this boat"

The humility line kind of calms people down and makes them remember that their lives might literally depend upon another's actions in the middle of the night
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:04   #225

Here's an article I wrote called, "So You Want to Be Crew". It might help some prospective crew members.
Musings: So You Want To Be A Crew Member

sail1942@gmail.com
sail1942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, paracelle