Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 10:08   #1

Chesapeake Bay

I’m looking for one or two crew to give me a hand and help me learn about my recently-acquired Bristol 45.5. It’s currently on the hard in a boatyard in Oxford, MD and must wait until all the boats stacked in front of it are put in the water before I can do the same - hopefully in the next month or so, but no set date so this would be pretty short notice.
I have a reasonable amount of experience but this boat is bigger and better equipped than anything I’ve sailed before, so I’d prefer someone that knows a bit more than me. At this point I can only spare a few weeks off work so would probably not venture outside the Chesapeake area (that I’m also not familiar with). This is not a paid position, but I will fund all boat costs for fuel, dockage etc and some provisions.
Mirror16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Chesapeake Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror16 View Post
I’m looking for one or two crew to give me a hand and help me learn about my recently-acquired Bristol 45.5. It’s currently on the hard in a boatyard in Oxford, MD and must wait until all the boats stacked in front of it are put in the water before I can do the same - hopefully in the next month or so, but no set date so this would be pretty short notice.
I have a reasonable amount of experience but this boat is bigger and better equipped than anything I’ve sailed before, so I’d prefer someone that knows a bit more than me. At this point I can only spare a few weeks off work so would probably not venture outside the Chesapeake area (that I’m also not familiar with). This is not a paid position, but I will fund all boat costs for fuel, dockage etc and some provisions.
Howdy!

The Bristol 45 is a nice boat, and one I would like to get some time on sailing.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, with the sole intent to help you.

Your post begs some questions, so I will ask a few (and all are asked in a friendly tone). I think if you answer these questions it will help you get better responses from people who may be a better fit for helping you.

You mention you have some experience, but "this boat is bigger."
What kind of boats have you skippered before
What boat (if any) did you own before?
What size?
For how long?
Where?

Is the issue the location?
Have you done much sailing on the Chesapeake? Any?

Is the issue the boat systems or type of boat or what is your big concern (and for what kind of additional experience are you seeking in your crew)?

Will you be sailing alone, or with spouse, or with children aboard?

How many days do you anticipate wanting this person to help you?

You say "provisions." Do you mean to go cruising or just for a day sail?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 16:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy!

The Bristol 45 is a nice boat, and one I would like to get some time on sailing.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, with the sole intent to help you.

Your post begs some questions, so I will ask a few (and all are asked in a friendly tone). I think if you answer these questions it will help you get better responses from people who may be a better fit for helping you.

You mention you have some experience, but "this boat is bigger."
What kind of boats have you skippered before
What boat (if any) did you own before?
What size?
For how long?
Where?

Is the issue the location?
Have you done much sailing on the Chesapeake? Any?

Is the issue the boat systems or type of boat or what is your big concern (and for what kind of additional experience are you seeking in your crew)?

Will you be sailing alone, or with spouse, or with children aboard?

How many days do you anticipate wanting this person to help you?

You say "provisions." Do you mean to go cruising or just for a day sail?
Sensible questions heard as a friendly voice. I’m 61 and started sailing as a boy in dinghies on the Welsh coast, later cruising with my dad in the UK and Bahamas in Achilles 24 and Cal 25 sailboats. But after he died, and with a young family and work far from the sea, I didn’t sail at all for the next 20 years. Restarted several years ago with yacht charters with my wife and grown children in the Caribbean (40+ft monohulls) and I also built a small sailboat to use on the Tennessee River where we live and I will remain while I’m still working. I have no offshore experience.
UK NMCS ‘Coastal Skipper’ qualification 1985
US Sailing Basic Keelboat qualification 2012
US Sailing Basic Cruising qualification 2012
US Sailing Bareboat Cruising qualification 2012
I bought the Bristol a few months ago, with a plan to spend alot of time and do longer-distance sailing on it when I retire next year. My family will rarely be available or this, and I have no sailing friends, so right now it would probably be just me. I have not sailed the Chesapeake at all and the boat’s only there because that’s where I bought it, but it’s as good as anywhere because the closest salt water to me is 6 hours drive away.
This first time on the water with the boat (in the next couple of months) I’m thinking of a few weeks cruising the Chesapeake, or not much further, living on the boat and getting somewhat familiar with it. But not just day-sailing from one place. We wouldn’t be going very far so it may lend itself to short periods for several individuals at different times. After this I would haul the boat out again and just leave it until I have alot more time after I quit working in spring 2019.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:52   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

A few tips: in the summer watch for thunderstorms. Always watch for fish traps along the shores. There is a lot of commercial traffic. The tugs run outside the channel. You’ll want a dinghy. So many places to visit. Avoid St Mikes and Annapolis on weekends. The bay is shallow but it’s all mud. You will run aground. Enjoy!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahoy Mirror!

Good answers in your response.

My friendly suggestion: edit your CF About Me page on your CF Profile, and copy those answers or description to that About Me. I see that already over 650 people have viewed your CF Profile, so there are people looking to it for background info. It helps to be descriptive, as you are in this comment above. See my profile About Me page to see an example of how more description can be added in the right place.

Enjoy your new boat and the accompanying challenges too!

If I can help you further, give me a shout.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 18:26   #6

You mentioned that the new to you boat is larger with more complex systems you are used to, that you are unfamiliar with the Ches. Bay area & have time restrictions in travel and availability.

After reading this post, if I might offer a friendly suggestion: Hire a local boat guy (sailing instructor, tech, retired person, BN (if that term is still acceptable) to go over the boat with you, teach you the systems, & help you quickly learn the boat & share a bit of local knowledge. Assuming the boat had a clean & detailed survey & experienced, knowledgable person, you should be able to knock it out in a few days. Then, move on to further expanding your knowledge, familiarity & experience with the boat using volunteer crew.

My assumption is that you purchased the boat for pleasure & enjoyment. Keep it that way. The water front has many stories of maiden sails going wrong, bad surveys, improperly commissioned boats, losses, & new boat owners getting spooked. Don't become one.

As an absentee owner, it would be prudent to have someone that you can trust to ensure the boat is ready when you arrive as it would be sad to drive 6 hours to learn that something was not ready, delayed, etc. &/or to keep an eye on it when you are not around.

Your broker, surveyor, etc. should be able to refer you to such a person. There are many, many in the Oxford area.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:52   #7

Thanks old frog, good advice. The boat is in good condition but the survey identified a few items that I paid someone to address over the winter. He has alot of sailing and local experience and will also help me put it in the drink, rig, set it up etc and perhaps spend a short time on the water with me.

There's no way the boat and I will be ready to immediately sail away so I expect to spend several days getting stuff sorted out etc before taking it out. I actually live 11- 13 hours drive from Oxford (6 hours is just the closest coast), so I plan to just stay on and use the boat for a few weeks before returning home.

My advertisment here was for unpaid crew to help me beyond that first few days. A handful of people have already volunteered, on an off this forum: some because they're interested in a Bristol 45.5, a couple as an act of charity, others because they don't know any better. But there's still opportunity for more that might be interested. I think this venture might lends itself to different individuals on the boat for a few days rather than sticking it out for weeks. The top priority is of course not to get anyone (or the boat) hurt, but I'm fully expecting to frequently get the crap scared out of me during a steep learning curve.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:33   #8

Wise move on both counts. Glad to read that you have thought it through. Also, wise to keep the crew rotations short & varied. What was that that truism attributed to Ben Franklin about guests, after 3 days resembling fish??? Check your PM.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 19:20   #9

Boat: C-Dory 22 and actively sailing Other Peoples' Boats

Mirror,

PM Sent.

Thanks
The Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay