Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2022, 00:09   #1

Boat: Hylas 54 #42
Circumnavigate Australia starting from Tasmania

Crew Wanted

I’m looking for an experienced crew member to join me aboard my Hylas 54 foot Bluewater sailing yacht “True North” to circumnavigate Australia. I’m currently located at Hobart, Tasmania and planning to continue clockwise circumnavigation of Australia late in February to early March 2022.

The Yacht

True North is a 2006 Hylas 54 centre cockpit cutter rigged grp sailing yacht. She is rigged for safe offshore short handed blue water passaging with power winches, furling sails, modern electronics, high solid stainless steel lifelines and a cockpit which can be fully enclosed in inclement conditions. Below decks, she has most amenities for extended passages including large refrigerator and freezer, gas range and oven, electric oven, ice maker, water maker, washer/dryer, auxiliary genset, solar power, large lithium (LiFePo) battery bank, etc.

True North has always been looked after with continuous maintenance and upgrades to her systems.

My background
I’m a vigorous 62 year old Canadian who arrived in Australia in January of 2020. During the pandemic, I’ve two times cruised the Australian east coast from Pittwater north to Lizard Island and back south to Tasmania. In my youth I sailed extensively including high level racing and working as a certified sailing instructor. After retirement I embarked on a slow round the world cruise. I enjoy hiking, scuba diving and exploring the regions and cultures I visit.

The Crewing Opportunity

I’m planning to depart Tasmania late February to early March 2022 heading across the Great Australian Bight to Perth / Fremantle and continuing clockwise around at least to Darwin. I’m particularly looking forward to seeing and exploring the Kimberly region. As always, weather windows will determine the exact route and timing. I’m looking for crew with sailing experience who want to get out and live the cruising life with full participation in all its aspects. You will be expected to share expenses for food, fuel and marina charges. I have not been in a marina in over a year and seldom see the need to take a marina dock preferring to anchor In a scenic anchorage. You will have your own private cabin. There no smoking allowed aboard and illicit non prescription drugs are strictly prohibited. Moderate social drinking is ok when moored or if conditions allow. Full Covid vaccination status is needed to allow entry across many state and international borders.

If you are interested in joining me in this adventure, please contact me by private message on this forum so we can have a phone conversation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84E18433-FD56-4D96-875F-ABFE4C4CFF99.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	252627  
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:43   #2

Re: Circumnavigate Australia starting from Tasmania

Hello,

This sounds like an interesting trip. I would not be able to commit to the full trip but would certainly be interested to join in some sections. Are you still looking fir free?
Sigmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:33   #3

I've done in both ways in a 32 and prior, a 42 Steel yacht. (Single hander.) Plus 1 1/2 laps on a 600cc Dirt bike and 11yrs spending 3 months of each yr with wife. All great.
BUT. I'd think about a ANTI Clockwise if I was you. Read up on it mate. I know a lot over the yrs who have done that trip. NOT many go W about across the Bight believe me. Even ships don't like it. Full ocean waves. Bouncing back off a curved coastline gives lots of unidirectional LARGE sets/backwashes with a serious current flowing through. A long way offshore. A very uncomfortable trip believe me.
Tassie UP to Qland and around a much better trip.
Go for a sail from Strahan heads to Adelaide. then Adelaide to Strahan. Will give you a a good example of what's coming.
I used to live in Adel 50+ yrs ago. MY favourite trip but I liked ROUGH Waters.
and used 32ft. 8 1/4 ton Pugh Cutter and a 42ft Boden South Seas 17 ton.
Both designed and BUILT for heavy weather cruising/live aboard.
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 18:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarson View Post
I've done in both ways in a 32 and prior, a 42 Steel yacht. (Single hander.) Plus 1 1/2 laps on a 600cc Dirt bike and 11yrs spending 3 months of each yr with wife. All great.
BUT. I'd think about a ANTI Clockwise if I was you. Read up on it mate. I know a lot over the yrs who have done that trip. NOT many go W about across the Bight believe me. Even ships don't like it. Full ocean waves. Bouncing back off a curved coastline gives lots of unidirectional LARGE sets/backwashes with a serious current flowing through. A long way offshore. A very uncomfortable trip believe me.
Tassie UP to Qland and around a much better trip.
Go for a sail from Strahan heads to Adelaide. then Adelaide to Strahan. Will give you a a good example of what's coming.
I used to live in Adel 50+ yrs ago. MY favourite trip but I liked ROUGH Waters.
and used 32ft. 8 1/4 ton Pugh Cutter and a 42ft Boden South Seas 17 ton.
Both designed and BUILT for heavy weather cruising/live aboard.
Thanks for your input Mrcarson. There does not seem to be an easier direction with difficult passages either way. The bight in late February / early March is at its calmest time and it is possible to get periods of wind with an easterly vector at that time. The trip up the west coast is then predominantly downwind. If the trip is counter clockwise, the passage down the west coast is typically directly into the wind the whole way. Although I’ve talked with several experienced cruisers that have completed the circumnavigation and read every cruising guide I could find which covers the trip, I have not done it myself yet so all information is useful to me.

I’m not concerned about the boat, it is designed and built for extended offshore passages. It is 54 feet and 25 tons, the hull is solid grp with Kevlar layers and the rigging is very over spec. The Bal./disp is 41.35, Comfort Ratio is 39.32 which rate it as a heavy Bluewater cruiser. Hylas yachts are known as extremely capable, safe and reliable Bluewater boats.
Old 20-02-2022, 16:05   #5

Yep. either way can be bumpy. as you going a full lap. just enjoy it. i tend to like it above 20knots, or did when I sailed. 80yrs, lost visual depth of field.
I was brought up in the offshore N/E of England. then S Australia/Tassie West Coast waters. (bumpy)
one of my cousins had a Hylas for a few yrs Loved her. I went out a coupla times when in his area of the woods I did too.

it's a good passage You'll enjoy it.
lots of stopovers to nip into for shelter.
chat with the fishermen when going round. They know all the little hidey holes and currents.
i went round in the mid '80's. not modern days. Same as the bikes, '79.

Either way you'll enjoy. Spent most of my later sailing yrs up and down the Q'Land coast. Based in Townsville then Yeppoon.
Old 21-02-2022, 13:40   #6

Thanks MrCarson. I’m looking forward to departing Hobart this week. Just been hauled and had new antifouling applied and a new propeller installed. Did maintenance on the windless and found all the surfaces for the gearbox seals corrroded beyond repair. The new windless should arrive today and I’ll have it installed by tomorrow.

No crew found yet so it will likely be a two person passage at least as far as Fremantle. Will likely go up the west coast of Tassie cross to King Island and then up to the south coast and west from there.
Old 21-02-2022, 15:27   #7

Lucky you found it now hey.
You did the primary's too?. Maybe pop a couple of the drums off them as well.
Those you don't want binding on you at sea.
Remember to take a nice bottle of Single Malt with you to celebrate the end of the first leg hey, Finally.
All the best sunshine and enjoy every mile. Good and bad. See Ya.
Old 21-02-2022, 16:11   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OP, I'm surprised that you haven't had luck with finding crew! The boat is far better than most, the trip a very interesting one and t he conditions of service quite reasonable. We get so many folks who claim to want to go to sea... one wonders why they are now scarce when a great opportunity presents?

At any rate, have a great voyage and report back when you can.

Jim

(currently lying outside of Con Dock for a few days. Stop by for a chat if in the area)
Old 22-02-2022, 07:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OP, I'm surprised that you haven't had luck with finding crew! The boat is far better than most, the trip a very interesting one and t he conditions of service quite reasonable. We get so many folks who claim to want to go to sea... one wonders why they are now scarce when a great opportunity presents?
Unless one is retired, just suddenly taking off from work for MONTHS is not going to happen. Also the OP is leaving in a week. Even if we could go, I don't know if we could arrange personal affairs AND get plane tickets to Hobart in a week.

Even going for a few weeks is problematic.

In 2014, we had a crew opportunity in Europe. We would have LOVED to have gone on the trip but there was no way we could do so with the work and family obligations. We did manage to go in 2016 but it took quite a bit of planning over the months. At the last moment, the trip got iffy because of work.... But the trip did happen. Thankfully.

We had several other overseas crew opportunities but they were close to months long trips that we just cannot do because of work and family. Even some short trips were not possible because of work and family.

Recently we had hoped for a US sailing trip, but again, can you guess, work and family prevented the trip.

The OP's trip is on our bucket list. We would love to do it but taking off from work and family, with a weeks notice, and be gone for months ain't gonna happen, no matter how much we would love to go.

Maybe one day we would be in a position to just hop on a plane and go... Well, by then, hopefully we would have OUR boat.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:28   #10

Hi there
Just a quick reply to your ad I have had sporadic experience for sailing over many years
My most recent was spending five months at a time over two years in the Mediterranean sailing my friends 60 foot catamaran which I would say was one of the best experiences of my life
I also am 62 years of age 6 foot One 84 kg and fitness orientated I am a non-smoker social drinker
Unfortunately I am not vaccinated which might deter your interest in my response
Please contact me if you would like to discuss this more cheers Rod
Dodgeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:56   #11

Boat: Schionning 1040 Cat

I'm interested and available, check out my Bio here let me know
markanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 23:00   #12

Hi, can assist as crew in July or thereafter but usually for a month at a time.
Can fly in / fly out to help if you're short handed.
Ta,
Greg.
Westies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:47   #13

An update,

Sorry I have not been on the forum recently to reply, I’ve been off the grid at Port Davey and then on passage to kangaroo Island where I arrived this morning.

I currently have crew to get me across the Bight to Perth / Fremantle but will continue looking for crew to continue from there. I should be in Fremantle by late March.

The cruising in Tasmania was wonderful with many very special destinations and a warm, supportive sailing community. We had an excellent passage from Tassie to Kangaroo Island. Hopefully the rest of the passages to cross the Bight will be as successful.

If you are interested in joining the trip from Fremantle, please send a private message through this forum. I may take some time to reply due to the very limited internet connectivity along the south coast but will reply when I’m able.

John
S V True North

Tags
Australia